Author Topic: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!  (Read 15711 times)

Offline magnumcharger

Re: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2009 - 10:40:38 AM »
Last month, I drove out to Alberta to do some inspection work at a coal-fired generating plant.
On my way back, I stopped in Winnipeg to visit Walter and see my old Challenger.
I had fully intended to pick up my friend Brian along the way to share this auspicious occasion with me, but Walter pretty well kiboshed the idea, claiming it would violate his need for privacy.
~Whatever~.
So I made the journey to his place and lo and behold there it sat. It was almost unrecognizable at first, as the purple paintjob I had labored over so many years ago was only visible where the trim had covered it. A new set of quarterpanels and a new AMD hood adorned it...and not much else. I recognized the welds I had done on the cowl area where the inner fenders had seperated. Walter also produced some more familiar items, such as my pistol grip shifter, the gas cap without the trim ring, and the infamous backup light without the 'E' in Dodge.
Of course it still had the original transmission with the shortened input shaft, but the original engine was long gone.
The seats I had recovered in a different grained and colored vinyl were still exactly as I had left them.
Walter had fixed the rear frame rail where the tie-down mount had pulled through, and had done considerable metal replacement on the floors, cowl and driver's side rocker panel.

It was a weird feeling seeing this car again after half of my lifetime's duration. To be honest, it made the hair on my arms stand up (which I made a point of showing Walter).

After spending most of the afternoon shooting the breeze and having lunch with Walter and his charming wife Suzanne, I had to leave.
Before I did, I wanted to impress upon them how much this car meant to me, even after all these years. Walter wanted to make a point to me as well: he's owned the Challenger for the last 11 years and has a degree of attachment to it as well. In fact, he's not even sure if he wants to see it go anywhere. But he did concede that if he were to let it go, I'd have first dibs on it.
I wasn't about to twist his arm to sell it either, as it's in good hands and he's doing things the way they should be done.
And besides, I've got a Charger just begging to be reassembled and used, so I have some priorities to attend to before I gather more projects.
Maybe someday I'll have my Challenger back.

I'll be keeping in touch with Walter, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009 - 10:53:55 AM by magnumcharger »

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2009 - 10:42:53 AM »
Some pics...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009 - 10:51:08 AM by magnumcharger »

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2009 - 11:16:08 AM »
Congrats on finding the car!  I'd love to find my first car but I don't have any clue where it ended up...
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

bbscamp

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009 - 10:42:54 AM »
The did a study and found out that people on "pay phones" (yes, remember them??), spent 25% more time on the call when people were waiting in line to use the phone.

The car doesn't look like a gem in current condition.  Its not a numbers car.  The guy will keep it just knowing he can string you along AND get whatever the hell he wants for it $$$ wise, just by giving you a call.

Cool story, glad you found it.  If the guy is really going to finish it and its the car HE wants, he'll do it.   I'd be $1M that it languishes in the same state for another 11yrs.

If it were mine, I'd sell it to you for what I had in it, period.

go buy an new chally 6.1 and tear it up with some new memories.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2009 - 11:08:04 AM »
The big thing was finding it. Now, go buy one just like it.

Offline DmanSRT69

• Diggin' holes is fun
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2009 - 02:22:14 PM »
Very well spoken.

That's a major project.  I'd be looking elsewhere as well........

The did a study and found out that people on "pay phones" (yes, remember them??), spent 25% more time on the call when people were waiting in line to use the phone.

The car doesn't look like a gem in current condition.  Its not a numbers car.  The guy will keep it just knowing he can string you along AND get whatever the hell he wants for it $$$ wise, just by giving you a call.

Cool story, glad you found it.  If the guy is really going to finish it and its the car HE wants, he'll do it.   I'd be $1M that it languishes in the same state for another 11yrs.

If it were mine, I'd sell it to you for what I had in it, period.

go buy an new chally 6.1 and tear it up with some new memories.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009 - 01:31:57 AM »
 :iagree:

It'll be worth, whatever its worth, when its done, but he knows it'll always be worth more to you.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009 - 07:54:06 AM »
Glad you found her.  Red ralley wheels.............. and it doesn't look like the only one in the shop either...........Good luck on the reclaim........
Dave or David

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009 - 02:09:57 PM »
i have had my challenger 16+ years, i doubt i would sell it back to any prior owner.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

sleepychallenger

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009 - 02:28:41 PM »
good to see that you found her. me and my dad have had ownership of mine for 34 years i think (he got it in 76). would love to find the original owner, but i dont think i could ever sell it back.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2009 - 01:38:31 AM »
I agree with you guys. I have had my current car for 15 years. I would love to show it to the original owner because it will be damn close to what was at the dealership but I dont think I could sell it either. I wanna drive it too much.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009 - 10:53:26 AM »
I just thought I'd update this thread.
After a lot of hard thinking and soul-searching I've decided to NOT pursue my old Challenger.

I guess it comes down to several reasons:
1. It's F8 with a tan interior. I'm not a fan of F8 cars which is why I painted it FC7 in the first place. And tan interiors look good with red, but I really prefer black or white. So, that being said, if I had it again, I'd likely ruin it by changing it into something it isn't.
2. I really don't need another project car. I've been restoring a 1968 Charger R/T for almost two decades, I'm trying to get my 1979 Chrysler 300 ready for my daughter's graduation in the spring, and I'm building a replica of the Dodge Deora too.To be honest, the Challenger would go to seed waiting it's turn.
3. I'm rather taken with the new Challengers...and now that purple might be on the horizon, well, that pretty much clinches the deal. Not to mention I can get in and drive it right away, without restoring it first.
4. Lastly, my old Challenger is getting re-restored by it's current owner. It'll be HIS handiwork, not mine, that makes it what it is. All of my efforts will be erased by the time he is done. Not to mention the original engine is gone. So, it may as well be somebody else's car.

Anyway....that's all for now.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009 - 11:48:04 AM »
Sounds like you have made a well thought out and wise choice.  Besides, if you persue the car much more, he'll think he has you hooked for sure.  Wait about 2 years and give him a call, judging by he looks of things it'll be in the same condition and you may be able to pick it up for a song...
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2009 - 01:22:13 AM »
Good decision.

I know it might just be me, and I'm probably going to get a lot of flak over this one, but personally, I dont understand all the hype about anyone finding "their old car". I bought a new Cuda in 73, and sold it in the mid 80's. Sure, I had a lot of fun in the car, but the memories are what's important, not the car. I was told, not long ago, by a mutual acquaintance, that the guy I sold my Cuda to still has it. Its 30 miles away. Do I have any desire to see it? No. I sold it because I didnt want it anymore. Would I like another one? Sure. Does it have to be that one? No. It was a means of transportation, an inanimate object, not some mystical being that will bring back my youth, make me lose 50 pounds, grow back my hair, etc. A lot of girlfriends sat in that car, and I dont want any of them back either. Well, maybe that blond with the really big...  - lol.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2009 - 12:11:54 PM »
I think you made a good decision. It was great to find the car and I think that you and the current owner should keep in touch. He may have questions and you may have answers. If the time is not there now to do anythng  to the car on your end then he needs to do the resto.  Of course he needs to keep you in mind for first dibs if he decided to sell.   

Jeryst..........I don't think you will catch any flak.......I agree with your comments although if I knew where my original Challenger was I would like to know.  Not that I would want it or well..........now I don't know.  Just like to know what happened to it.     As far as losing 50 #........it would me easier to get in and out.       And I still have my hair.... :bigsmile:
Dave or David