Author Topic: Advice needed on 18 spline hemi trans....  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Finoke

Advice needed on 18 spline hemi trans....
« on: March 19, 2007 - 02:37:39 PM »
I got a good deal on an 18 spline transmission today. I met the seller half way so there was no shipping charges. The good news is that it was very reasonably priced. The bad news is that the front bearing retainer was cracked from the trans being dropped some time ago.

So bottom line, I thought I would take a chance on it. The purchase price leaves a whole lot of leeway for buying parts and paying for a rebuild if needed.

Are there any good 4 speed transmission repair guys in the Philadelphia area? I would really like to send this trans to Passons, but I don't feel like shipping it. Any advice on how to get it thoroughly checked is appreciated.

Thanks
Finoke

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Advice needed on 18 spline hemi trans....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007 - 08:57:55 PM »
buy the retainer from Passon , see if there is any in & out play on the front or main shaft & you will know if the roller brgs are good , the inside looks in good condition from th e pix

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Finoke

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 - 04:03:03 AM »
buy the retainer from Passon , see if there is any in & out play on the front or main shaft & you will know if the roller brgs are good , the inside looks in good condition from th e pix

Thanks Chryco! I will check for in and out play. With any other trans that looked this clean, I would just install it and see what happens. Its easy enough to drop it out again. But I wonder if there is any chance of having any shaft warpage cause it was dropped. Or would the roller brgs take the brunt of the force (as well as the bearing retainer).......?

Also, any good books available that take you through a 833 rebuild. Hopefully that would have a section on inspection?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 - 04:06:02 AM by Finoke »

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 - 06:19:58 AM »
 Try this for starters:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Oh I mean "for transmissions".  :roflsmiley:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:32:01 AM »
the factory service manual has complete info on rebuilding 833s
 the gears in the one you have seem to either be slick shift gears Or they have been modified to slick shift , but otherwise look to be in good condition
 the input shaft Could be bent being dropped on it , I cant see it doing internal damage though   

Offline Finoke

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:38:45 AM »
Try this for starters:

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Oh I mean "for transmissions".  :roflsmiley:

Good site! Bad joke  :clapping:

Offline Finoke

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:40:23 AM »
the factory service manual has complete info on rebuilding 833s
 the gears in the one you have seem to either be slick shift gears Or they have been modified to slick shift , but otherwise look to be in good condition
 the input shaft Could be bent being dropped on it , I cant see it doing internal damage though   

Oh I see. Slick shift is not what I wanted. But this gives me some info to go on. I'll check er out in the service manual. I didn't think to check there for info  :faint:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:44:47 AM »
it will not slick shift IF it has full spline syncro hubs But I do not see any brass syncro rings inside the tranny

Offline Finoke

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007 - 10:13:27 AM »
it will not slick shift IF it has full spline syncro hubs But I do not see any brass syncro rings inside the tranny

Is it terribly expensive or difficult to convert it back? Would it take a lot of costly parts? I got the trans for $800, so I figured even if I had to sink another $800 into it I would still feel good about it.  ;D

I'm no trans expert as you can tell

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:11:28 AM »
you could return it to normal with just a set of syncro rings & outer syncro hubs , it could have the regualr gears replaced as well but that would be big $$

Offline Finoke

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007 - 12:26:55 PM »
you could return it to normal with just a set of syncro rings & outer syncro hubs , it could have the regualr gears replaced as well but that would be big $$

Thanks for the replies Chryco.. So If its an expensive fix I'll probably end up selling it. It dated November of 70 so maybe it would be of value to the numbers guys.  We'll see what happens when I get it checked out. Thanks again!