Author Topic: Rear Spoilers...debate.  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Challenger73318

Rear Spoilers...debate.
« on: March 19, 2007 - 04:04:41 PM »
Anyone know which spoiler actually produces more downforce?  The Go-Wing or the T/A AAR type?  Or are they basically worthless?

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
Re: Rear Spoilers...debate.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007 - 04:08:54 PM »
I don't know which actually performs better, but I would think that the ARR T/A would be better.  There must be some reason they used they on the actual race cars.  I also think they look better too.  Just me though.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007 - 04:14:49 PM »

IMO they are nothing more the exterior looks. Unless used at high speeds (100mph+), cornering more than anything, then they are basically just a looks item, like the bulge hood, vents, decals..........At speed I'd say the Go-Wing would add more down force, air going under and over allowing for greater speeds and more down force.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007 - 04:36:31 PM »
Unless you're driving at superspeedway speeds, it's just cosmetic. Ever notice all the FWD cars with the spoilers on the rear?

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007 - 10:31:54 PM »
as usual I tend to disagree , spoilers will have some effect even before 60 MPH, I have no data on the wings available But the AAR style will create some down force for sure , although they have no found that a flat wing extending the body rearward is moree effective & efficient , the Daytona spoiler was also extremely effcient , & it stood up in the wind like the Gull or Go wings do & as long as they are tilted correctly unlike most 68-72 mustangs will also create soem downforce , the Farce is the ricers with massive wings , it Hast to kill fuel milage on the highway especially with no excess power to drag them through the air , Cody told me his wing on the Viper slowed the car down considerably I can just imagine the effect on a 2 HP honda  :smilielol:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007 - 11:00:12 PM »
Chrysler did extensive wind tunnel testing back in the day, so you can bet that any design they actually used on the production cars were beneficial and not just for looks.  :2cents:

Barry

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 - 08:36:14 AM »
I have to agree with Barry on this, it is only logical. Yeah, they are going to add weight to a car designed for racing that serves no purpose. Also, the difference between the two and which is more effective, I think that each are effective in the format that they were designed for. Looks wise - The Go-Wing all the way.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007 - 02:59:10 PM »
I perfer the Go-Wing, I love the look on most models of Mopars it was offered on.

Cuda Guy.
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007 - 04:43:18 PM »
Chrysler did plenty of wind tunnel testing but I would think it was mainly for Nascar type stuff for the Chargers and Superbirds.I doubt a lot of testing went into a Go-wing or AAR style spoiler but I could be wrong.I bet they are fairly close in performance as they have roughly the same surface area and are pretty close in postion on the body.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007 - 07:00:39 PM »
Here is a very cool website on the matter.  Factory testing and pics!!!!!

Not too sure if it's at all relevent but it's still cool info.  Looks like the ricers aren't too far off the mark!!!  :smilielol:

http://aerowarriors.com/gswtt.html

Not sure why NASCAR vehicles use a spoiler rather than a wing on thier cars?  Cost?  I dunno?  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007 - 07:08:12 PM »
Another good site.

http://www.gm.com/company/racing/technology/aeroLab.htm

Info on Superbird aerodynamics.  (About halfway down.)

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007 - 07:15:48 PM »

I still believe and honestly think these spoilers do absolutely nothing.  They did wind tunnel testing back then, yes, but they made a Charger back then too using the wind tunnel and that's an aerodynamic brick and the E-Bodies are no slimline either with the whale shark like grille. Look at today's cars, their spoilers offer no real downforce or driving aid until 80-90+mph, Porches for example and supercars which are obviously more technically advanced and miles ahead of the E-Bodies. Some of these modern monsters spoilers don't come up until a set speed above 75mph and it won't come up unless yo hit those speeds. If a supercar doesn't need one I doubt a 440ci Cuda will at 60mph. They may "aid" the car but offer absolutely no down force or holding power unless you're doing high speeds. I feel people that claim otherwise are just backing the cars and label (as per usual) "just because". Chrysler even did their tests for the Superbird and possibly street cars at 125mph. Though, The Superbird at it's NASACAR speeds would have a useful wing and it would offer great help, but definitely not the duck-tale and Go-Wings IMO.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 - 07:17:41 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007 - 07:28:19 PM »
Hey Super Blue, the new NASCAR cars called the "Car of Tomorrow" all have wings on the backs, not spoilers.  They are quite the topic of debate, if you want, just surf the NASCAR page and look at what they look like. 

As far as either the go wing or duck spoiler, they both look cool, but I gotta agree with NZ, the speeds that these cars travel have no effect on downforce.   :grinno:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:05:13 PM »
Hey Super Blue, the new NASCAR cars called the "Car of Tomorrow" all have wings on the backs, not spoilers.  They are quite the topic of debate, if you want, just surf the NASCAR page and look at what they look like. 

Thanks for the info!

Very cool!  I'm not a big NASCAR fan so this is interesting.  Here's a pic if others are curious:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007 - 05:20:42 AM »
Super Blue 72,

I'm a little thick at times, can you explain how a rear spoiler helps on a FWD Uncle Ben's Mobile ? :stirpot:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica