Author Topic: AN fittings & stainless steel hoses?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline flores_57

AN fittings & stainless steel hoses?
« on: March 19, 2007 - 11:54:10 PM »
 :pullinghair: What's the trick to installing the AN fittings on a stainless steel hose. I've poked quite afew holes in my fingers trying to figure this out :swear: along with ruining acouple of inches off the hose. It's the 6AN fittings to the SS hose. Thanks in advance :wave:
My lugnuts require more TQ than your ricer produces!!!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: AN fittings & stainless steel hoses?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 - 02:29:45 AM »
There are vice molds you can use to help, there are little install kits. I needed neither when i did mine. Make sure you cut it well. Wrapping it tight with tape then using a cutting wheel or the like. Little oil on the fitting threads and thread it in.  :eek7:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 - 04:56:28 AM »
 :iagree:  excellent response, we did fuel lines, heater hoses using that technique, electrical tape tight, good cut & spray silicone & patience

we also got holes in the fingers but completed the job :
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:34:19 AM »
they take pratice after i did my first 4 im a pro at it now just use the tips above and the cutting wheel works best

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:39:22 AM »
Advanced Auto has a hand held cutter that you can cut right through the -6an hose pretty easy....makes a perfect cut with no tape need on the hose !!!  :burnout:

Offline Bart

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:49:38 AM »
Cut off wheel is the only way to go. Also use duct tape as the elec tape will melt into the SS. I just did lot of this on my 34
1970 Cuda 383
2008 Titan
2010 G37s
1996 Advantage Victory 27 502ci
2013 HD Roadking

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:53:28 AM »
I think the cutter is the way to go...no tape needed and makes a perfect cut.... just my .02 ....  :burnout:

Offline Robert1050

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007 - 01:48:48 PM »
I cringe whenever I see that someone has put Braided Steel fuel lines on their car!

When I re-stored my old 'Cuda in the early '80s, no one was repro'ing the 6 Pack fuel line, so I made my own out of Braided Fuel line.  Since the motor had 11 to 1 compression, I used to dump fuel additive into the tank on every fill-up (didn't have a source for High Octane stuff back then).  Like any rare Mopar, it sat a lot.  Then one afternoon, as I tried to fire it up to move it out of the garage, I had a beotch of a time getting it lit.  I had installed a Holley Electric fuel pump back by the tank, so I hit the switch for that, waited a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build, then tried to start it again.  Still wouldn't fire.

I get out of the car to pop the hood to see what was wrong & almost fell over with the smell of raw gas.  Looked under the car & saw about 2 - 3 gallons of fuel under the tank.  Not good.  Rolled the car out of the garage by hand, then slid under to see what was up.  Every braided line on the car had disintegrated - the fuel had eaten it's way through the rubber liner.

Don't know if it was the fuel additive or a bad lot of hose, but I will never run that stuff ever again.....

Robert
1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007 - 05:08:29 AM »
i've had the stainless steel hose on my 69 camaro convertible for 5 years without a problem, i think there is a difference in quality of materials, mine is not cheap ??? :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007 - 07:15:20 AM »
  Every braided line on the car had disintegrated - the fuel had eaten it's way through the rubber liner.

This happened on one of my set ups in about a foot of braided hose from the regulator to the fuel log. It had been used for about 5 years. It was driven mostly in the summer, but fired once every couple of months to operating temp during the winters. One spring I was getting ready to fire it up. Fortunatly I have an electric pump I can turn on independently to prime the system. It sounded different than normal and when I opened the hood to check it out, the hose looked like a sieve with multiple pin holes allowing fuel to escape all over, some shooting directly onto the headers. I'm glad I didn't fire it up in that condition as an underhood fire could have occured.

This was Earls hosing and this car had been feed a steady diet of 101 octane Trick racing fuel during its life. I just figured it had degraded over time and with exposure to the fuel.

Offline Robert1050

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007 - 10:43:29 AM »
the hose looked like a sieve with multiple pin holes allowing fuel to escape all over, some shooting directly onto the headers. I'm glad I didn't fire it up in that condition as an underhood fire could have occured.

This was Earls hosing and this car had been feed a steady diet of 101 octane Trick racing fuel during its life. I just figured it had degraded over time and with exposure to the fuel.

Reading this was a case of Deja Vue, my hoses & fittings were from Earls also, since they were the only suppliers back then....
Robert
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007 - 10:45:18 AM by Robert1050 »
1970 Challenger R/T 440-4
1970 'Cuda 440-6 (Gone, but not forgotten)
1999 Sea-Doo XPL 69.0 MPH
1998 Sea-Doo XPL 66.3 MPH
1981 Eliminator Daytona 80.3 MPH