Author Topic: Big Block 5 speed?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline jmac

Big Block 5 speed?
« on: March 20, 2007 - 09:21:17 AM »
Well after searching through all 44 pages of this section and numerous searches I'm still searching for an answer to this question:

Is it possible to take a Big Block 4 speed bell housing and mate it up to modern dodge 5 speed (like one found in a newer Dakota for example)?

The reason I ask is that I have a '74 Cuda that was originally a 4 speed, but now has a busted Auto tranny in it now. Everything is still there to go manual again so that's what I'm going to try to do. I also really don't have the cash to pay for an aftermarket 5 speed, so I trying to figure out if there are any options out there.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Big Block 5 speed?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:36:21 AM »
there are 2 issues here , it Should be possible to drill the belhousing to take the newer trans , the question is the input shaft depth which is easy to figure out
 the second Issue is the strength of the newer trannys which Dakotas & 318 full size truck seem top be able to break with ease
 a friend has a Viper T56 6 speed mated to his 440 , of course this requires major floor surgury to fit the beast in there correctly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline jmac

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 - 12:14:43 PM »
there are 2 issues here , it Should be possible to drill the belhousing to take the newer trans , the question is the input shaft depth which is easy to figure out
 the second Issue is the strength of the newer trannys which Dakotas & 318 full size truck seem top be able to break with ease
 a friend has a Viper T56 6 speed mated to his 440 , of course this requires major floor surgury to fit the beast in there correctly

Yeah I had thought about the input shaft depth, but cutting/welding an adapter plate I was told might make the bell housing too weak (if the shaft is too short). The strength of the tranny's was a major concern, any ideas how much power/torque they can handle?

Is there any other transmissions made that could potentially work?
1974 Barracuda

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 - 12:39:38 PM »
Not the cheapest option but this would work.

http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/transmissions/e-body_70-74.asp

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 - 12:54:50 PM »
Why not just put an 833 OD in it?  I found my last one for $75 at a swap meet. You already have a bell for it and everything you don't have is made by Passon.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0