Author Topic: Speaker wiring for extra Tweeter set  (Read 1327 times)

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
Speaker wiring for extra Tweeter set
« on: March 20, 2007 - 10:20:00 AM »
looking  to  add a pair  of tweeter  cones  to the top  of my dash ......? is  CD  player  instruction  says not to wire  in parellel , so  can I  add these  one to left/right  by  just going  in  series  from  each  of the speakers  in my  kick panels? Both speakers  are rated  at 4 ohms  each? .......thoughts/experience  appreaciated.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Speaker wiring for extra Tweeter set
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 - 01:24:43 PM »
wiring in series will double the resistance to 8 Ohms , is the deck rated for 8 ohm speakers ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 - 02:46:32 PM »
wiring in series will double the resistance to 8 Ohms , is the deck rated for 8 ohm speakers ?

Most modern day decks are not. I'm not real up on this separate component type of stuff, but I would hope these tweeters have some kind of internal crossover network, so they don't get blasted with low frequencies. I wish I could be of more help to you.  :-[

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007 - 08:00:27 AM »
crossover can be added to accomplish both  impedance matching & sonic filtering, years ago these were five dollar items at Radio Shack.. today there are much more sophisticated products available

http://www.mycarjams.com/car_audio/hazel/detail/LAVBX2
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007 - 10:07:08 AM »
My  deck (Sony CD/am/fm) shows  4 to 8 ohm  speakers so  should  be fine? Does  it  matter thou  if  I've  got 8 ohms  in  front channels  and  4  in  back? Tweeters  do  have  'some  sort  of  circuitry' as in  there's a capacitor/resister  as  part  of the unit.....thx

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007 - 03:39:58 PM »
My  deck (Sony CD/am/fm) shows  4 to 8 ohm  speakers so  should  be fine? Does  it  matter thou  if  I've  got 8 ohms  in  front channels  and  4  in  back? Tweeters  do  have  'some  sort  of  circuitry' as in  there's a capacitor/resister  as  part  of the unit.....thx

I don't see any red flags as far as the 4-8 ohm stuff goes here. This is what scares me. I was BIG into this in the 70's and 80's, but I don't know what's out there now.  :clueless: I remember building speaker boxes with tweeters that had a cap., but it also needed a crossover network. I hope someone else a little younger can confirm this for you.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007 - 03:54:46 PM »
Usually component sets come with crossovers that are paired with the speaker capabilities.   If you are buying just a set of tweeters, you will want to buy a crossover for that tweeter or an inline bass blocker/high pass filter for it. They just go on the positive speaker terminal.  Such as these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BXqGXBUP2Cq/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=761&I=127BB300A2

Most car speakers are 4 ohm.  Home speakers are 8 ohm.

If you have an existing set of components and you want to add an extra tweeter on each set, you need to be careful if you use the existing crossover.  Just as Chryco said "wiring in series will double the resistance to 8 Ohms" and if go in parallel you will drop the resistance to 2 ohms.  Dropping to 2 ohms, effectively doubles the power going to those speakers, and if the speaker can't handle it, they will blow really quick.  Not to mention, if you have double the power going to your front tweeters only, it will not sound right and be hard to tune to what does.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007 - 04:00:45 PM by HemiDog »