Big Block 400 Stroker Build!!

Author Topic: Big Block 400 Stroker Build!!  (Read 39170 times)

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
Re: Big Block 400 Stroker Build!!
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009 - 01:03:28 PM »
What gear drives can you recommend?  And where do the shims go to set endplay?  They still push against the timing cover right, so wouldn't you need a flat timing cover?  I have a good machinist at work that can help me out as need be; he's pretty awesome.

Thanks,
Evan
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2009 - 04:41:29 AM »
I just weld a plate inside the cover & grind the button down to get the clearance , I have used Pete Jackson quiet gear drives with no issues

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline PlumCraZRT

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2009 - 10:23:45 AM »
Ahhh, I'm getting it.  What kind of life can i expect with a gear drive?  Anything dramtically different than a chain would offer?  Seems the gears should last longer.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2009 - 01:11:31 PM »
I agree , never put enough miles on these cars to find out though

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2009 - 01:40:23 PM »
I will only use Milodon gear drives. And I've only used it once. The dual idlers are no more accurate than a medium quality chain. I dont do a lot of builds that need that kind of control.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009 - 07:25:07 PM »
 :popcorn: Lots of good info on this thread! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline PlumCraZRT

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2010 - 03:38:53 AM »
BUMP!!!!  :bigsmile:

After sitting on my hands (read: saving money) for a year and a half my dad and I finally brought the block into the shop (Mopar Engines West in Newark, CA)!  The plan is to make a 451 stroker!
 :burnout:

I have a lot of parts purchased, even more spec'd out.

I am now trying to finalize cam selection... After hearing horror stories of hydraulic rollers with sticky seats and hydraulic flat tappets flattening cams, Angie at MEW has convinced to (at least) look at solid flat tappet cams (with EDM solid lifters).  I am curious, what is the max duration I can go and still get good vacuum for the brakes?  I have usually tried to limit myself to 230 deg @ .050".  Is this too conservative?  :dunno:

I have looked at Hughes cams which seems to offer only too high of a duration (237+ @ .050) and Comp who offers too low of a lift (<.500").  Lunati seems to be in the middle, but doesn't offer many high-lift AND short-dur choices... Pretty sparse.   I will look into Engle... any particular choices I should be looking at? :1zhelp:

I also got to thinking about torque converters:  I will probably need to update my torque converter for the new engine/cam, so.... Does anybody know of a good quality, low buck place to buy torque converters?  I took at a peak at B&M, but was suprised to see they wanted $700+ for a converter.  A quick search brought up JW Performance who wanted ~$350.  Do you get what you pay for?  Experiences? :feedback:

Thanks!  As usual, you guys  :ylsuper:!

Thanks again,
Evan

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010 - 08:33:58 AM »
I use Lunati custom ground solid flat tappet cams but I use the 906 lifter design in the back of the catalog , you can get into the 240-350* range & still have decent vacuum & Idle , & the lift is in the mid to high .500 range

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010 - 12:08:50 PM »
A friend I've helped out has relied on Angie before. She knows her stuff and I'd listen to her.

Offline PlumCraZRT

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010 - 12:22:07 PM »
A friend I've helped out has relied on Angie before. She knows her stuff and I'd listen to her.

I agree.  I totally think she knows her stuff, which is why I'm even considering solid flat tappet cams.  They prefer to go with Comp Cams and I figured we could do better because, as Chryco has said before, other manufacturers actually design their cams for use in Mopar engines (vs taking a Chevy cam and putting it on a Chrysler base circle).

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010 - 07:22:09 PM »
After sitting on my hands (read: saving money) for a year and a half my dad and I finally brought the block into the shop (Mopar Engines West in Newark, CA)!  The plan is to make a 451 stroker!

You are a smart man and you will not be disappointed. My 451 has way more cam than yours but they do rev to the moon. 5000RPM in first for a takeoff at the lights is pretty normal whereas that is where most V8's beg you to change gear. I have had mine to 7000 and she wanted to go more but I think my wallet says no! :nono:
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline PlumCraZRT

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2010 - 03:49:09 AM »
To give an update: the engine is done being balanced and machined, and assembly is the next step.

I should be getting a phone call from the shop pretty soon so we can figure out a cam.  After a bit of research (but not having talked to the shop) I am guessing on using Lunati's 60340 grind which is 235/243@.050 and .526/.546 lift, 110 LSA.  I look forward to talking with the shops about this.

I've purchased the 440 Source Stealth heads (not CNC ported) and have had the shop touch them up with a bowl blend.  I plan on having them reinstall the valves with new high-end (teflon) seals and appropriate springs.  I plan on sourcing the springs from Comp since they appear to provide the highest grade valve springs.

The shop is blue printing the engine and installing studs for the mains and heads.  As I believe I've mentioned before, I bought the 440 Source 451 +.035 stroker kit with flat top (-4cc) pistons.  I bought it unbalanced without piston rings or bearings.  I figured the shop would have a better feel for the piston ring type, gap, and tension.  Similarly for the bearings, I figured the shop would have a better understanding as to what was needed for everyday applications.  I also understand the tolerances on these stroker kits can be hit or miss, so I figured I would let the shops make the call for the bearing sizes as well.

As for intake manifolds, I am going to be using a Weiand Action+ 8008 intake manifold.  This is a low-rise intake with the hope of keeping a stock look (wheres the Performer RPM stands out like a sore thumb).  This may get gasket matched once we have the chance to compare ports side-by-side.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2010 - 08:42:04 PM »
I know there's all kinds of ideas on this site, but I will reiterate the cam has no idea where it is. Comp has some very aggressive lobe designs that are just as fast as Hughes, Lunait, Engle, etc. However they are typically not used on shelf grinds because there are issues selling such parts to the general public. They also grind a very accurrate camshaft. Lifters, aside from the EDM versions, are pretty much all one of two manufacturers. I'd press anyone with the sense to think about it and get the fact that there are many reasons why cams go bad, and manufacturer name isnt one. Whoever is addressing the heads should be the one that helps chose the cam IMO and it should be a custom grind. I don't think the cam you list will run the brakes. You basically have a 440 there. It should be cammed the same way. If you have to have power brakes I'd stay smaller than 230° @ .050 which will limit your lift too.   

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2011 - 03:11:29 AM »
the  cam is just fine to run those heads and the cubes . good luck!! :cheers:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2011 - 02:48:36 PM »

:iagree:

Her and Dave built my engine. The EDM lifters are the best choice.
Mike, Fremont, CA.