Gasoline Choice?

Author Topic: Gasoline Choice?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Gasoline Choice?
« on: March 24, 2007 - 02:01:32 PM »
Don’t know if this topic has ever been hit before?  We use midgrade off brand gas in our family vehicle as oppose to Shell midgrade or BP ect.  Is there really a difference?  And what do you guys run in your Cuda/Challengers Im sure its Premium but do you guys go with off brand Premium or do you run Shell, BP, Chevron ect?  Anyone know of any studies?  If this topic has been hit I’m sorry for the repost as I’m in and out of here these last couple years.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Gasoline Choice?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007 - 03:16:31 PM »
I am not convinced name brand fule is mesissarily better , i used an off brand premium in my daily driver a few years ago & it was too cheap for what you should pay for premium But the truck would ping with regular & wouldn`t with premium , what I ended up doing was generally refilling at 1/2 tank & alternating between reg & premium when I filled so I ended up with a mid grade & the truck wouldn`t ping with the mix either 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007 - 03:18:23 PM »
I ran 91/100octane in my cuda because vegas gas was highly watered down. I'll run 93 out here, 93 in my daily Ranger. I stick with name brands  :dunno:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007 - 03:22:56 PM »
The name brands are supposed to have more detergents and better additives but  :dunno: I run mid-grade 89 octane in my daily drivers as I don`t have any problem with pinging but I feel the power difference and they seem to run better.I used to run Sunuco 94 as it was the highest octane pump gas avialible but they no longer carry it so now I run any good 93 octane.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007 - 04:06:58 PM »
I use the premium in my Cuda and in my Tahoe.  I have one of those Hypertech Power programmer for the Tahoe and have set it to run on HiTest.  It did make a noticeable difference in power.  I have been saying that I am going to put it back to run on regular for quite some time now, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.  Besides, I only drive 8 miles each way to work and back, so in reality it isn't killing me.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007 - 06:17:39 PM »
Just because it says "Exxon" or "Texaco" on the sign doesn't mean that's what is in the tank. I've seen tankers filling the tanks at local gas stations in my area and it ain't what's on the sign.  :swear: I run premium in both my Mopars. $3 dollars a gallon baby, it's coming!! Cost me $5 bucks just to cut my grass!!

Matt B.

Matt

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007 - 06:45:14 PM »
The Dart swinger slant six---cheap stuff
The 69 Cuda built 360----110 mixed with super

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007 - 06:54:02 PM »
Just so happens there was a special about this on the news today and like torredcuda said, the only difference is the amount of detergent.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007 - 08:19:12 PM »
I usually run 87 BP or Shell in my daily (Honda CRX) and I run 93 BP (sometimes), Shell (sometimes), or Chevron (rarely) in the Challenger, never the cheap stuff. 

When comparing BP to the stuff Kroger sells in my area, I could usually get 1 to 2 mpg better with BP.  I tested this a bunch and an convinced that the named brands are a little better than the cheap stuff.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007 - 09:25:39 PM »
All the gas here comes from ONLY 2 different tank farms.  :grinyes:  And we got just about every brand you can think of with the exception of chevron.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:04:57 AM »
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:07:52 AM »
Here`s a quote from it.
"3. "My gas isn't better for your car; it's just more expensive."
Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition's. Chevron's gas, for example, is fortified with "Techron," and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don't tell you is that all gas does so. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; in Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples last year to ensure the state's gas supply was up to snuff, and 99% of the time it was. "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck. "

Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007 - 09:02:17 AM »
That is kinda what I was thinking, being in Iraq I have learned a think a two about the oil industry and Im not so convinced that there is much diference between brands.  Now that being said... watered down gas is diferent.  When I was in AZ recently I dont know what it is but they are fond of doing this, I had to go to name brand gas because I figured they had some standard to uphold accross the board.  Once I switched to name brand I was good.  Now Im back in TN using the Base off brand and off base off brand and its all good.  Couple of fuel places I would not recomend would be: Flying J and Gas City.  Here in Clarksville we have a Pilot station that has the best gas out of all the brands in town hands down even better than the base.  Thanks guys for all your input on this.
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

nivvy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007 - 09:09:17 AM »
I only run SUNOCO 94 in the 499 StROkEr that is the only 94 where I live...put 92 in it one time and the chally didnt like it.....probably cause of compression!!!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007 - 09:49:04 AM »
As a side note on this subject. A guy I know that does the emission testing /tech shop for the state in my area SE-Wi. Claims that more octane has been achived by mixing premium with mid-grade. I personally dont understand how this is possible. But my buddy is aware of all kinds of privleged info. And the state supplies him with all the latest test equpt.  :grinyes:

I'm NOT gonna start any arguments here-"Nuff Said"  :nono:

Anyway I do alternate between premium and mid-grade in NIKKI. She never goes below a quarter tank. I never never had any pinging or other fuel related problems. Granted my HEMI is a crate motor with lower compression. And without any big modifications. Try it let me know what you think. Maybe save a few bucks in the meantime.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 - 08:28:40 PM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl