Author Topic: Cragar S/S style wheels, alloy or steel  (Read 831 times)

Offline duodec

Cragar S/S style wheels, alloy or steel
« on: March 24, 2007 - 11:14:29 PM »
I'm a long way away from needing to pick wheels for my '71, but I've always liked the look of the chrome Cragar S/S units.  My car came with a set of chromed steel Mercury Cougar mags (similar to S/S in appearance), two of them bent so I replaced them with a pair of Appliance "Steel Spoke" chrome steel wheels that also look like the S/S units.  That was around 1982.

Back then I really didn't like alloy wheels; that thick center with lugnuts needing a shank of just the right length didn't provide much confidence compared to the tried and true conical lugs and steel center.  They were also more expensive, and cost was a big factor back then (else I would have bought all four matching wheels).

Appliance is gone.  All I can find in current production are alloy, but of course alloy wheels are much more proven technology now than 25 years ago.  Does anyone still make steel S/S style wheels?  Other than weight is there any advantage or disadvantage of steel versus alloy (not counting repairability from pothole damage and the like)?

Thanks

Rich

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Cragar S/S style wheels, alloy or steel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007 - 11:52:41 PM »
I think you will find that everything of this style will be alloy, even the Crager S/S has an aloy center mounted to steel rim and are still available.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline duodec

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 - 12:17:44 AM »
Actually on reviewing my old notes and some articles I clipped, the thing I _really_ didn't like on many ofthe older mags were the slots for the wheel studs; the lug nuts came with oval washers so the wheel could fit more than one bolt pattern size.  That really turned me off the Appliance alloys; I don't remember if other brands used that but I couldn't afford more expensive rims.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 - 11:09:19 AM »
I am not a fan of the Cragar SS , they are very heavy , use the unilug washer mounts & tend to deteriorate quickly between the alloy & steel rim peeling the chrome off the alloy center 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline duodec

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007 - 09:58:47 PM »
CP,
     thats one reason I really liked the Appliance rims, or for that matter even the Cougar rims.  Other than the silly Hermes head in the center cap that is.

Maybe I just need to keep an eye on ebay.

Rich