Author Topic: No Spark Question  (Read 2074 times)

Offline N96

No Spark Question
« on: March 25, 2007 - 02:52:21 PM »
i have been detailing the engine compartment on my 72 340 duster which now has no spark from the coil and wont start. during detailing i replaced the cap, rotor, wires, main engine harness, ecu module, voltage regulator, and coil. i have tried various different parts off my cuda that i had changed for troubleshooting and still no luck. i even put the old harness back on and nothing. any help would be appreciated. mark

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: No Spark Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 - 02:58:13 PM »
By detailing, did you by chance paint the inner fenders and firewall? I'm thinking the ECU module, or coil bracket might not have a connection to ground anymore(voltage regulator too, but that wouldn't be the problem now). Let's start there... Does the engine turn?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline N96

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 - 03:36:48 PM »
grounds are good and it cranks no problem

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 - 04:57:14 PM »
OK,

Let's go with the electrical problem. Do you have a volt meter? I would love to know what voltage you read on each side of the coil when the key is turned to the "on" position( the + and - terminals). Might you have messed up the spark plug wires as you replaced them? I'm just trying to narrow this for you. I know all toooo well about this ignition crapola.  :pullinghair:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline N96

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:07:53 PM »
all the obvious has been tried, ie: firing order, different coil, resistor, ecu, wiring harness, grounds etc. it ran before i took it apart now it wont start. i had the dash apart as in the gauge panel but dont think that has anything to do with it. i do not have a volt meter. maybe something with the distributor, i'm at a loss

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:31:59 PM »
Does your dash have a volt, or amp meter? When you said you had it apart, it struck a nerve. If it is a amp meter, then we might be on to something here.

Mike

EDIT: All current goes thru the amp gauge if that is what you have. Maybe the lugs were not put on tightly? Where are you located? I know I could solve this in 5 minutes.  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 - 05:37:44 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline N96

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:57:22 PM »
at first i thought we had it, as i only put the amp gauge wires on hand tight. i went out tightened them up with a wrench and still nothing. the amp gayge does go negative with key on so it is working. next guess, lol

edit: i'm in nj
edit #2: with key on and test light both sides of coil light test light, while cranking batt side of coil is lit, did not check other side while cranking
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 - 06:12:49 PM by N96 »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:23:49 PM »
I have heard of too many people leaving the rotor button out not to ask the question.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007 - 07:03:48 PM »
typically you can buy a Volt meter for around 5-$10  , probably time to invest in one

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline duodec

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007 - 10:29:52 PM »
Use a test light (or analog VOM; digitals are too slow) from coil negative to ground.  When you crank the light should flash on and off.  If it does then you can start on the ignition secondary wiring (coil/cap/rotor/wires/plugs); if not then look at the primary.  If you have power to the coil positive (12V cranking, somewhat less running but I'm not sure what; depends on teh ballast resistor and connections) then you need to doublecheck the ECU, ECU wiring, reluctor, pickup, etc.

How did you test (lack of) spark from the coil?

You didn't mention fuel.  Do you have an electric pump?  If so is there an ignition interlock that might be preventing it from running?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007 - 10:00:36 AM »
Run a jumper wire from the positive post of the battery or starter solenoid to the ballast resistor and crank it with the center coil wire close to ground. Do yo get a spark?    It doesn't matter which side you use on the ballast.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline N96

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007 - 02:00:58 PM »
with test light on neg side of coil and cranking the light stays lit, it does not flash. i'll try a dist out of my cuda thats the only thing i didn't mess with. thanks so far

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007 - 02:47:40 PM »
with test light on neg side of coil and cranking the light stays lit, it does not flash. i'll try a dist out of my cuda thats the only thing i didn't mess with. thanks so far

I don't see that being the problem here unless you took the distributor out, and accidently put it back in 180* out of phase. If your test light is lighting on the coil, I think you have enough voltage to have spark. Disconnect a spark plug wire. With an insulated pair of pliers, hold it near the valve covers, or some other ground connection. Have someone turn the enigine over, and see if you get a spark from the wire to ground.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline N96

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007 - 04:11:23 PM »
problem has been solved. a friend suggested running a ground from battery right to module and it fired right up. it was suggested here also that i had a bad ground but nothing was painted so i guess just by changing the module, even double bolting on fender, you still get a crappy ground. thanks for all the replys!!!!

Offline duodec

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007 - 08:25:15 PM »
N96,
     glad you found it; it makes perfect sense since the coil is fired by the ECU effectively switching the coil negative terminal connection to ground on and off.  On my '71 (which was originally a points ignition) I had a dedicated ground wire running from the engine ground strap connecting point to one of the ECU mounting bolts.

Rich