Author Topic: Problem with my alt/battery charging system  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Problem with my alt/battery charging system
« on: March 25, 2007 - 05:29:41 PM »
Bought a brand new battery last month.  Problem is, it's almost dead already.  Had the battery checked twice, both times was told that the battery was a good battery, and that the problem is with my car.  Great.  Checked the alternator, and it's reading just like it should.  We checked the battery while my car was idling, and again as I was revving it, and the read stayed the same at around 13.2.  So my battery isn't being recharged.  However, the gauge in my dash is reading that the battery is recharging.  Frankly, I have no idea what the problem is.

71challengher

Re: Problem with my alt/battery charging system
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:33:44 PM »
Bought a brand new battery last month.  Problem is, it's almost dead already.  Had the battery checked twice, both times was told that the battery was a good battery, and that the problem is with my car.  Great.  Checked the alternator, and it's reading just like it should.  We checked the battery while my car was idling, and again as I was revving it, and the read stayed the same at around 13.2.  So my battery isn't being recharged.  However, the gauge in my dash is reading that the battery is recharging.  Frankly, I have no idea what the problem is.
Voltage regulator :dunno:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:42:53 PM »
Voltage regulator :dunno:

As much as it pains me, I'll go with Jackie here. It should read around 13.8 volts charging. You are not far off, but does your voltage regulator have  nice clean connection to ground(the firewall)?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

71challengher

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 - 05:45:06 PM »
As much as it pains me, I'll go with Jackie here. It should read around 13.8 volts charging. You are not far off, but does your voltage regulator have  nice clean connection to ground(the firewall)?

Mike

I'm not totally stupid. I have owned a few Mopars  :poopoke:

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:23:33 PM »
Um...  which one is the voltage regulator?  I never was good with electrical stuff.

71challengher

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:26:16 PM »
Um...  which one is the voltage regulator?  I never was good with electrical stuff.
It's on the firewall. I wish I had a pic.

71challengher

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:32:20 PM »
Yours should look close to this one. Maybe not on that side . See it right behind the washer bottle. Yours might be more in the middle?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 - 06:46:47 PM by 71ChallengeHer »

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:39:28 PM »
You'll need to check and clean your wires at - Alternator, Voltage regulator, and bulkhead connections where they enter the interior. Resistance in any of the field wires or the voltage regulator will give it the wrong reading. My charging system is at 14.8v at cruising rpm with no accessories on. Yours is pretty low imo, check out the regulator, clean it all up...

and also (its time to get some spare parts, alternator if you can swing it, voltage regulator, carry a cheap multimeter if ya got one, and a jumper wire you can hook from the alt output to the starter relay in a jam). I had my share of charging system issues, i needed all of the above at one point.  :2cents:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

71challengher

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007 - 06:48:09 PM »
don't forget the extra ballis(spelling) resistor

Swedefish

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007 - 08:21:20 AM »
Here you go Ghost, marked with a circle. On the firewall behind brake mastercylinder.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007 - 12:43:35 PM »
That's where I thought it was.  Thanks for the picture!

Offline v8440

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007 - 07:45:42 PM »
My charging system is at 14.8v at cruising rpm with no accessories on.

Wow, that sounds like about .5-1v too high.  I bet battery life is shortened if you're really running that high a voltage at the battery terminals.  If you measured that at the alternator charging terminal it's probably not that high by the time it gets to the battery (voltage drops here and there). 

But yeah, 13.2 sounds low.  I'd expect to see at least 13.7 or 13.8 on a properly charging system.

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007 - 12:27:27 AM »
You might want to check the accuracy of your meter. Check another car or two's battery voltage. Usually your voltage regulator works in the range of 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If you see more then 14.5 volts at the battery for long peroids of time you will over charge your battery. It will run hot and you will boil off all the battery fluid eventually leading to complete battery failure. I don't know off the top of my head but their is probably a way to jump the voltage regulator into putting out its maxium voltage. I'm sure some member of this outstanding forum knows how. :cheers:
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007 - 03:49:42 PM »
is it fixed?
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007 - 01:29:24 PM »
check the wires on the alt. i had the same issue and it turned out a few strands was all that was left on one of the plugs now she charges like a champ.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"