Author Topic: Subframe Connectors  (Read 3530 times)

nivvy

Subframe Connectors
« on: March 26, 2007 - 10:22:39 AM »
Do you have to cut into the floor board to install them???? I have a bolt in set but am thinking of having them welded in ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Subframe Connectors
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007 - 10:25:34 AM »
no you do not have to cut into the floor , I use 1x2 tubing & stay tight to the floor , you can barely see ti is there , the bolt in ones work too , no problem welding them into place 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Dray

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007 - 10:44:00 AM »
Hey StrOkEr,

I am about to install subframe connectors and torque boxes in my ride too.  I found this article and it has some good info. 

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0612_classic_barracuda/index.html

Cheers,
dray

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007 - 12:41:41 PM »
...but if you bolt, or better, weld them to the floor pan, you increase their ability to resist twisting.

For example; take an empty shoe box, grab the opposing ends on the long side and twist. You have just simulated a convertible. Put the lid on and twist and you have a hardtop. Tape the lid down to the box and twist and you now have an example of welded sub-frame connectors.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007 - 03:06:17 PM »
These are the nicest connectors I've seen so far.

http://www.uscartool.com/Eframeconn/index.html

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007 - 04:33:30 PM »
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007 - 11:08:39 PM »
I installed a set of magnum force connectors on my car last week. To put it lightly, I thought they were overpriced pieces of sh!t and wouldnt recommend them to anyone. I bought them because they were 'soppose' to be great and fit well....or at least for the price one would expect them to. I ended up spending a long time getting them to fit nicely and had to grind part of the floor away to get them up (which the instructions didnt outline). They do look pretty good installed, but hardly good enough to justify the time and money I spent on them. If I had to do it again I would go with a much cheaper set of connectors....live and learn :-\
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007 - 12:53:40 AM »
These are the nicest connectors I've seen so far.

http://www.uscartool.com/Eframeconn/index.html

Those kind of connectors are by the far the best ones you can use to get maximum stiffness without compromising the ride height. I'm going to make set of those kind of connectors for my car. My dad's business friend has a machine which is used to square sheet metal (To make that firm U-shape) so I can take my sheet metal there and after that it is just slight trimming to get it match with the contours of the floorboards.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 - 01:11:32 AM »
I installed a set of magnum force connectors on my car last week. To put it lightly, I thought they were overpriced pieces of sh!t and wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

If that was lightly I would hate to hear you lay into them.  :)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007 - 01:58:34 AM »

I have the USCartool subframe connectors that weld in place and follow the contour of the floor pan.
I purchased that and a driveshaft loop. Can't wait for the body work to start.......  :walkaway:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007 - 10:44:59 AM »
If that was lightly I would hate to hear you lay into them.  :)

Forgive me if I came off strong, its just that I paid two times the price of regular frame connectors and dont feel that I received my moneys worth. I know from this experience that I wont buy another product from Magnum Force. Like I said before they do look pretty good installed and tuck up pretty nicely, but if I had to make the decision again I would probably go with the UScartool or a much cheaper set of connectors.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........