Author Topic: Front Speaker Locations  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Front Speaker Locations
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007 - 08:08:16 PM »
Good to know, thanks.   :2thumbs:  Probably what I'll end up doing.   :ylsuper:

I am not positive on the speaker size, it may be just under 3".  Just make sure you measure, before you spend the money.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Grundy

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007 - 02:09:48 PM »
HOw is the sound out of the (2) 3" speakers at the center of the dash? I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure If i'd lose the separation. I also thought of angling them out toward each side if I did something like that. Maybe an additional tweeter by the pillar would help with the separation?
Drive it like you stole it.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007 - 11:21:46 PM »
HOw is the sound out of the (2) 3" speakers at the center of the dash? I was thinking about that, but wasn't sure If i'd lose the separation. I also thought of angling them out toward each side if I did something like that. Maybe an additional tweeter by the pillar would help with the separation?

It does not sound bad, but you do not hear most of the bass like you would from larger speakers.  Since they are so close together, it really only sounds like there is one main speaker, no real separation.  Never thought about having them at an angle, but there is not much room to do that.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007 - 02:29:53 PM »
This is how I did it. I had to replace my dash so I bought one with original speaker holes. I filled them with aftermarket 3.5" Rockford Fosgate Punch units and got some original covers on eBay. Here are the pictures.

The new speakers have bigger magnets so I had to cut and trim the holes a little.

This is the driverside. Had to cut the reiforcement.

I did not bother to get a center speaker, because It will not hold up with the aftermarket units. I'm also putting Rockford Fosgate in the rear.

This is the original covers, they are made in aluminium. There should be some brackets on the underside, I didn't get those so I had to fab my own.

Here's the finished product!  :)

Closeup..

Here is the underside with the brackets.

From the underside when installed in the car. It's a bad image but it's the only one I took when installed in the car.

Link to the speakers: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=33&family_id=14&item_id=101627&locale=en_US&p_status=
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Grundy

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007 - 02:35:03 PM »
That looks great, and it is the optimal situation, but for me and many of the guys on here, we've only got that center hole for speakers. When i'm done with the main harness, I'm going to figure out the speaker situation. I'll post pics when I finally put something together.

How do the RF's sound? I'm kind of an Infinity guy myself..

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007 - 03:16:27 PM »
Haven't tried them yet!  :bigsmile: I haven't bought a headunit yet. I need to find one that fits with the interior. I heard some RF speakers in the audioshop, they sounded good to me.. and LOUD, but then again I do not have a tuned ear for these things. I just said I needed some speakers that would fit in my dash so I could get some tunes for the long trips..  :cheers:
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Grundy

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007 - 06:59:07 PM »
Fair enough, let me know when you fire it up!

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007 - 08:52:51 PM »
Unfortunately, the previous owner of my 73 Challenger cut a hole in the door panel.  Which isn't to bad if only he had found some speakers with a smaller profile for the window handle to clear.  Every time you roll down the window you hit the speaker.  Thats on the list to fix.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007 - 12:24:10 AM »
I know this is where I differ from most people. I love music and the factory setups leave a lot to be desired for soundstage options. Since my door panels were cut and I even cut a couple of additional holes to mount the power window switches, I am going to make a component "pod" and mount it to the steel of the door. I moved the power window switches to the front of the arm rest part of the door panel and have the manual regulator hole to cover up anyway. I have a 3 way component set and will end up covering the fiberglass pod with white vinyl to match the door panels. It will be obvious that is has been altered but it will also blend in and should sound amazing. But then again my car is not a big bucks JS so I feel comfortable making any alterations I see fit.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Grundy

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007 - 05:15:38 AM »
That sounds cool. When you finish it, post some pics. I'd love to check that out.