Author Topic: Paint Bubbling  (Read 1096 times)

nivvy

Paint Bubbling
« on: March 27, 2007 - 11:21:53 AM »
Well I got my car back in the winter time so now that is summer and the climate is changing it seems like everyday I got out and look at my car i see more and more tiny bubbles coming out of the paint....is this because prep work wasnt done right??? or any experts have any clues.... im pi$$ed .....

Offline mopar_guy

Re: Paint Bubbling
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007 - 11:24:54 AM »
im not a paint guru,but i think i could have been the prep work.make them fix it! i would also be very pi$$ed

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007 - 11:25:58 AM »
Define bubbling,,, If its bubbles lower on a panel such as behind a wheel,, probably bad mudwork, if they look like little zits more on the upper portion of the car, then it is bad prep under the paint,, between the primer and color.
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007 - 01:16:17 PM »
Yes it is like zits....and showing up on the roof / doors / different areas of the car etc....  :burnout:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007 - 02:54:13 PM »
Well I got my car back in the winter time so now that is summer and the climate is changing it seems like everyday I got out and look at my car i see more and more tiny bubbles coming out of the paint....is this because prep work wasnt done right??? or any experts have any clues.... im pi$$ed .....

How was your car prepped? Acid dipping would cause something like this.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 - 03:27:14 PM »
I HATE bodyshops!!!!

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 - 03:44:24 PM »
no wasnt acid dipped...I dont kno what the heck they did........  :horse:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 - 10:10:31 AM »
It's a reaction between the paint and substrate. It means they messed up, either by application, or by not removing or sealing something. It will not get better...Only worse.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007 - 04:25:36 PM »
It could also be solvent popping which is the paint solvents(thinners,reducers) being trapped under layers of paint b/c of not allowing enough time to dry between coats.When it does dry it comes up thru the top layers causing small bubbles.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 - 06:20:59 AM »
 :iagree:

With the speed some of the work is done at now-a-days things like proper drying time is overlooked. I would think those bubbles would appear sooner tho. I made that mistake once. I sprayed med to heavy coats without enoguh flash time between them. (Always have a clock and thermometer handy in the booth!! :banghead:) It looked great when I rolled it out and removed the masking. The next morning, it looked like the surface of the Moon. :puke:

Offline aussie-e-body

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007 - 07:56:33 AM »
these could also be humidity blisters caused by moisture in the air supply.with the warming of the weather the moisture in the paint expands and creates  small blisters.
just my 2c worth
i want it all-i want it yesterday-and i want it for nothing