New Tilt Columns - Bolt In - XV Motorsports

Author Topic: New Tilt Columns - Bolt In - XV Motorsports  (Read 4374 times)

Offline DQHemi

New Tilt Columns - Bolt In - XV Motorsports
« on: March 27, 2007 - 07:00:21 PM »
I’m not sure how many of you have struggled with aftermarket columns in your cars.  We’re building a lot of cars and there wasn’t any real bolt in solution for us, so we went ahead and had tilt columns made up that don’t require any fabrication – they bolt right up to the factory brackets and mounts.  We also made a number of improvements based upon what we needed for our own builds as well as our customers cars.

Pics are below and prices are on our website under Products – Steering Columns.

Here’s the details and should answer most of your questions:

•   Only true bolt on column available – The column bolts directly to the factory mounting brackets ensuring a quality fit and ease of installation.
•   Roller bearing support at the bottom of the shaft – This is a critical feature for those wishing to use a rack and pinion steering setup.  This is the only column on the market to have this feature.  We were (and are) not comfortable running u-joints to a rack with nothing other than a plastic bushing to support it at the bottom of the column.
•   Various install kits - Kits available to connect the column to either rack and pinion or original factory style applications.  We’ll have prices for the install in a day or two.  Kits will be available for factory power and manual steering boxes as well as our rack setup and other manufacturers – if you have an aftermarket K-Member w/ Rack and Pinion Steering, we have an install kit for it.
•   Tilt Column – Allows user to find the proper steering angle for his or her particular driving style and aids in vehicle entry and exit (imagine an E-Body that is easy to get into!)
•   Designed for use with popular aftermarket steering wheels – This allows the customer to use the steering wheel of his or her choice.
•   Optional switch on the turn signal stalk – This allows you to relocate the high beam switch, or use it for other applications such as Nitrous Oxide, overdrive (i.e. Gear Vendors), line-lock or anything else you can think of.
•   Available with or without keyed ignition switch – We’re releasing the B Body version with or without the ignition switch and E Body comes with the keyed switch.
•   Choice of finishes – Available in chrome or ready to paint steel to custom color match to your vehicle.
•   Availability – These columns are ONLY available from XV Motorsports and are available now – we will be shipping them in April.  We also have discounted pricing on these for qualified shops and dealers.

On the install kits to go from the column to the box or rack, we will list the parts and have pricing for them some time later this week.  These will be available for the other front K-Member’s out there.

As far as applications, we’ve done them for the E and B Body Mopars.  We have not confirmed if the columns will fit 66-67 and 73-74 B Body – but we believe they will.

I know we will be asked about doing these for A-Body cars.  Well if you want them, we’ll build them if we can get a commitment for 25 pieces.  We don’t build A-Body cars so for us to commit the resources to developing these we need some people to step up on these.  We’re happy to do them just get on the list and we will get them made.

We have a number of new products coming out one right after the other – we will be announcing more new products possibly as early as next week.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline MoparCar

Re: New Tilt Columns - Bolt In - XV Motorsports
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:04:22 PM »
DQ,
Very nice.

Wes

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:07:33 PM »
Looks great, I just am afraid to ask how much!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:09:57 PM »
$575 on their website. Not bad for what you actually get--IMO.......once you price all the parts for other brands. Plus the key on column is nice.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:11:14 PM »

Looks good mate and right in time, I'm looking to buy in this market!  :woohoo:

Question: Where does the column tilt? Does the entire column tilt or just the last 1/4 with the steering wheel? If the entire column tilts, how do the factory brackets work with it as they would hit the bottom of the dash and gauge area and it would also not "move" or tilt bolted into the factory brackets.

I'm after a column that moves the top part only as per below.

Thanks,
Carl
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007 - 07:13:57 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:11:35 PM »
Thats not bad at all!  Should definetly sell quite a few :cheers:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:32:22 PM »

Looks good mate and right in time, I'm looking to buy in this market!  :woohoo:

Question: Where does the column tilt? Does the entire column tilt or just the last 1/4 with the steering wheel? If the entire column tilts, how do the factory brackets work with it as they would hit the bottom of the dash and gauge area and it would also not "move" or tilt bolted into the factory brackets.

I'm after a column that moves the top part only as per below.

See the pic below - you can see how it tilts - just like the one you had a pic of.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:37:08 PM »
See the pic below - you can see how it tilts - just like the one you had a pic of.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Thanks mate!!! Where can I purchase it from, PM or email?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 - 07:39:41 PM »

Never mind mate, I went to your website. :thumbsup:
Are you able to do a factory "flat" black finish on it to save us from pulling it apart and doing it here?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007 - 08:12:01 PM »
At 6-1 I could see this as a nice addition to Miss NIKKI!  :grinyes: 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007 - 08:32:55 PM »

Couple of questions John:

1) What is the column above for? Rack & Pinion? It's too short to be a manual or power steering box.
2) Are you able to post a photo of a power steering column.
3) What is the overall length from stud to shaft? (tip to tip)

Thanks,
Carl

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007 - 09:21:47 PM »
Couple of questions John:

1) What is the column above for? Rack & Pinion? It's too short to be a manual or power steering box.
2) Are you able to post a photo of a power steering column.
3) What is the overall length from stud to shaft? (tip to tip)

Thanks,
Carl

Carl,

1- It will work with the factory boxes as well. 
Uses two universal joints and a shaft in between.  These are what we are calling the "Install Kits"
We'll have kits for our racks, factory manual box, factory power box and Mustang II racks for the other front end kits out there.
The end that connects to the rack or box will have the correct spline for each application.

2 - Per the above, the columns are the same for all applications, just intermediate shaft (our install kit) is different.

3- I don't have those numbers with me now, but can let you know. 
If you're thinking the botom of the shaft has to reach the box/rack and looking for the size, again, with the intermediate shaft setup described, it's not an issue.

The universal joint /intermediate shaft setup, is the reason you need the roller bearing in the bottom of the shaft.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007 - 09:28:16 PM »
At 6-1 I could see this as a nice addition to Miss NIKKI!  :grinyes: 

I'm the same height. 
Was one of the main reasons we were really focused on putting tilt columns in these cars.
It's really hard for me to get in an E-Body, gotta slide under the wheel.

When we built our first car it was done w/ a reworked factory column and was immediately replaced with a tilt one.
However, the tilt one's out there aren't even close to bolt in, we still had to add the roller bearing, there was no ignition key
so we had to mount one on the dash and I really wanted to take the high beam switch off the floor and put it on the column.
These new columns will save us alot of time on our builds.

We figured we wouldn't be the only one's looking for a better solution.
So we went and created it.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007 - 10:54:12 PM »
Carl,

1- It will work with the factory boxes as well. 
Uses two universal joints and a shaft in between.  These are what we are calling the "Install Kits"
We'll have kits for our racks, factory manual box, factory power box and Mustang II racks for the other front end kits out there.
The end that connects to the rack or box will have the correct spline for each application.

2 - Per the above, the columns are the same for all applications, just intermediate shaft (our install kit) is different.

3- I don't have those numbers with me now, but can let you know. 
If you're thinking the botom of the shaft has to reach the box/rack and looking for the size, again, with the intermediate shaft setup described, it's not an issue.

The universal joint /intermediate shaft setup, is the reason you need the roller bearing in the bottom of the shaft.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Thanks John, that sounds good to me mate.
You have a PM and I copied the PM to an email in case you don't check in much.   

:cheers:

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007 - 09:27:38 AM »
cool stuff indeed.

Two questions:

(1) possible you can modify an Iditit or Flaming River tilt AND telescoping wheel?

(2) I imagine this column can fit any steering wheel as well as one of these???

http://www.shrifter.com/products/shrifter.html

???
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO