Cams galore......again

Author Topic: Cams galore......again  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Hot_Rodder

Cams galore......again
« on: March 28, 2007 - 01:43:03 PM »
Cams cams cams..... With as much as there is now days, if you can't find what you need, and no one will make it, then you got a problem..... Here's what I've been thinking here lately about this Duster project.... Going to use this kit:
400 >> 470. (3.915" stroke/6.535" rod)  Approximate Bobweight: 2160
This kit is a great choice for an engine that will see a lot of street use, but still make some serious power. The low deck, 3.915" stroke version of our Platinum Series crank used in this kit has the smaller 2.200" (big block Chevy sized) journals, and the counterweights are finished at the smaller "B" engine size, to ensure they will drop right into the block with no counterweight clearancing issues. Depending on the block used, many of our customers find this kit drops right in with no modifications whatsoever! Please note that Clevite's only main bearings available for 400 engines are the "P" series bearings. These bearings may require slight modification to clear the larger radius on our cranks. Most shops will be able to do this without a problem. See our Bearings page for details. We keep all the kits listed below normally on our our shelf and ready to ship, usually within 24 hours!

After some asking around, and talking with a few folks, the INDY SR's will probably be a better choice, I've leaned on over to looking to run a Mechanical Flat Tappet fast ramp cam.... Here's the thing, I'm planning on staying away from Crane, met up with someone who has ran a few of Crane's products, and I've heard nothing but complaints, so... This still leaves more than enough to choose from... But who? When I was looking to run the 505 Stroker, I think Chryco said to contact Steve Slavic, I was given a phone # to call, and that was his old #, then I was given a new #..... :faint: Anyway, I finaly got ahold of him, and got a grind # and spec's for a cam from him.... So, anyone got any suggestions on a manufacture, or what?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Cams galore......again
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 - 04:26:08 PM »
I have a Lunati, but I know Chryco likes Engle.   :2cents:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 - 05:12:03 PM »
Comp. They do a butt load of research so they have more modern specs, offer special lobes to take advantage of the .904 lifter, can mix and match lobe profiles to your specs if you can't find one in their catalog that is full of nice grinds.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 - 12:09:20 AM »
I like Comp because of their reputation, got it in the Challenger.
I used a Mopar cam in the race car with good results.
My father is trying a Lunati in his Dart.

Also, I have never used them, but Hughes Engines has some interesting cams.

And Chryco likes Eagle.  :bigsmile:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 - 12:31:26 AM »
My 383 had a purpleshaft in it and I liked it, but like so many others say...there are better cams available now. I went with a hughes for my new engine because I've heard a lot of good about them and they have quite a bit of lift vs. the duration. If i hadnt gone with hughes, I probably would have went with engle, comp, or lunati.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007 - 10:04:44 AM »
I use Engle for Hyd cams , the grinds work great for most street mild performance engines , create a lot of vacuum for power brakes , you can get custom grinds for the same cost using split profiles for intake & exhuast or modified CL
I also use Lunati VooDoo cams as they are close to the engle grinds , I can also get the old UltraDyne soild grinds from Lunati which I use a lot of
Occaisionally I still use the .528 solid Mopar grind with 1.6 rocker which makes a lot of power as well
 I refuse to use Comp as 95% of their grinds are designed for the small block chev , look in the catalog virtually every grind is the same in the small block section & I have always been able to increase power [dyno proven in some cases]by switching to Engle or Lunati grinds
Hughes used to sell  Engle grinds until he fell out with them , not sure who is grinding them now , I just stayed with Engle instead
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 - 10:06:17 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007 - 10:08:20 AM »
I've run all on the list excpet Isky and Lunati. More becuase i've been comfortable with all my choices, and havent had any failures. I also use a lot of Crane, mostly hydraulics. I'm not sure about probelms. I've never had a grind off more than 1°. Even Comp has been off 2° before. The 505 with my first Engle is waiting on pushrods, then it will be broken in, then hopefully stuck on a dyno, and I can tell how good it really is...lol. The 418 being machined now is getting a Crane... :bigsmile:

CP keeps dwelling on the chevy grind bit... :bigshades:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 - 10:29:05 AM »
Why not use a cam designed to take advantage of the wider Mopar lifter instead of limiting ramp speed & lift to the smaller Chev design ?

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007 - 10:31:00 AM »
What is th benifit of ramp speed ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007 - 12:53:03 AM »
you can open the the valve later with the same amount of lift so you can create more vacuum & still have decent breathing , only Mopars / AMC are designed with the wider lifter so why not use ti
 top fuel HEMIs use a larger 1" lifter

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007 - 07:44:31 AM »
Neil, take a gander at Engles lobe listings. While there are certain profiles they manadate the .904 lifter for, there are plenty they dont descriminate about. Faster ramp speeds are good. But saying a "chevy lobe" wont work shuts off a whole line of things that does work quite well, and is easier on valve springs. Especially in a medium hp application like this. The lobe doesnt care what it's on, Pontiac, Chevy, Mopar, Studebaker.  MP cams have  never had special faster ramp speeds. They more recently spread the lobe centers for better idle and cylinder pressure, but they dont come off the seat any faster. Ultradyne was the first as far as I can tell to do that for a Mopar. (yes way before Hughes...back in the 70s) Technology marches on. We should all be building roller cam engines now...lol.

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007 - 03:02:49 PM »
I've used Hughes twice...no problems either time.  I think Engle was grinding them for Hughes then.

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007 - 03:37:30 PM »
I guess you are right Moper , in the pursuit of getting the most power for the $$ spent & lift is basically free as in the engine will not run differently with the same duration if the lift is .450 @ 230* duration or 48o @ 230*, I have just found consistant results of quite a bit of HP gained switching out Comp Cams for other grinds such as Engle & Lunati wether they actually take maximum advantage of the .904 lifter or not   

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007 - 10:47:36 PM »
Alot of good knowledge getting thrown around in here!  More members should tune into this.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline aussie-e-body

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:06:14 AM »
im well and truly tuned in .tech shop is my favourite page,ive learnt heaps reading this and similar posts.starting my 440-6 build soon,got most of the parts i need,just saving up for a return airfare so CP can come and screw it together
i want it all-i want it yesterday-and i want it for nothing