Author Topic: NE1 else tired of seeing `71 hemi clones?  (Read 6136 times)

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: NE1 else tired of seeing `71 hemi clones?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007 - 09:39:47 AM »
In my Club back in Pa. we had a bunch of e bodies for the size membership. Out of 30 active members we had my 70 Chally R/T Vert.-70 Cuda 383 Vert-70 Cuda 440+6 Hardtop-71 Chally 383 Vert.-71 Chally 340 Vert.-70 Cuda 340 Hardtop--70 Chally T/A--72 Cuda 340.-70 Cuda Hardtop 318. These were all real cars not clones except the 72 Cuda 340 was a 318 car. Down here in Charleston SC  I have only seen a 71 Challenger and a 73 Challenger and my buddies 70 Challenger 440+6.
JS27
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 - 09:43:23 AM by js27 »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007 - 01:00:54 PM »
I've seen two E bodies and two A bodies since I moved here nearly 4 years ago. A 71 Challenger R/T, a 70 plum crazy Challenger, a Dart and a 67-69 Barracuda under a tarp near my house.

I'd like to see more driver quality 71 Barracudas on eBay, however. Everything on eBay seems to be a rough project, a high dollar clone, a high dollar original or a scam.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007 - 01:20:54 PM »
This one will be driven everywhere. Both local and long distance. I build em to drive them...440-6 4 speed

On the road in about 2 more months....ALAN

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 - 03:01:09 PM by Moparal »

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007 - 02:16:11 PM »
we need more slow 318 cars around  :lol:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007 - 02:48:50 PM »
Never see any e-bodies (or other Mopars for that matter) around here, except at car shows. The local car club has a cruise-in every Friday night, and once in a great while, a Cuda, or a Road Runner will show up. My 73 Challenger needs paint and bodywork, yet whenever I take it out for a drive, people start taking pictures. I can't wait to get up enough money to get it fixed and painted.

I know what you mean about the clones, however. It used to be that a Hemi-Cuda was a really rare sight to see, and when you saw one, you felt like you were in the presence of royalty. Now, you go to the big car shows, and see rows of them. Definitely cheapens it a little, and takes away some of the magic, but I still like looking at them, and wishing I had one.

Here's a thought: Once all the 318 cars are made into Hemi-Cuda clones, maybe the 318 cars will become the high-dollar rare ones!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007 - 03:03:21 PM »
we need more slow 318 cars around  :lol:

My car is a 318 car :stirpot: Just the engine was missing so naturally I had to put something in there.  But right now I am hating it!!!!!!!  Trying to put sail panels and headliner in, what a pain in the butt.

Offline inot2old

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007 - 03:38:56 PM »
In 2 years of going to ;local cruise-ins & car shows, I have seen about 4 or 5 Cudas & maybe 8 or 10 Challenger.  I haven't seen any '71 Cudas besides mine.  I wish I had the money to make mine into a Hemi clone. :burnout:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007 - 03:47:05 PM »
It's always good to hear about more E-bodies than it used to be, but yeah, it does get annoying hearing about all the hype over at B-J with these cars in general.  Let the hobby go back to the hobbyists and not the investors trying to turn an extra dollar. :swear:  It's still fun watching the occasional '71 Hemi 'Cuda clone drive by. (okay, so I want to be the person behind the wheel, but that won't be happening anytime soon.)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007 - 05:26:10 PM »
I seen one every day so far this month, a sweet vert to boot. And  CONGRATULATIONS  to 70challrtse for being the March car in our c-c.c calendar. And now that I've paid a little closer attention, is that a trypo error or just a "modification", .............owner: 70challrtse, but the car has the fender gills as per 71 models. Will youse guys quite messin with the old fart.  :roflsmiley: I don't care what it is, it is still BEAUTIFUL !  :2thumbs:

But I thinks I know what Jeff means by the topic of this thread, for a car to have been so very rare you do hear and see a lot of them on the puter, probably not in our home towns or neighborhoods however, afterall who is going to make a daily driver out of a car like that? Real or cloned models ?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007 - 05:36:09 PM »
E-bodies are so rare down here, Id be bloody happy seeing a '71 hemicuda clone.
Iv only seen two e-bodies here ('74 challenger 360 and G-machine '70 cuda 383) and both were at a show  :walkaway:

daves70

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007 - 08:36:16 AM »
I never tire of seeing any e-body, no matter what it is or was. I see one everyday. It's out in the garage. And everyday, I at-least have to go out and look at it once!  :grinyes: :burnout:

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007 - 09:30:19 AM »
I remember 7 or 8 years ago a parts and car broker I know from NW Illinois was selling a 1970 Challenger /6 convertible. It was solid, complete and stock.  He claimed it had been owned by an old lady who had it repainted dark red because she didn't like the original dark green (I thought old ladies were the main reason dark green was so popular back then?  :lol:).  When I checking it out I was thinking how cool it would be to restore the car back to new.  I am sure if I had I could take it to many car shows and always have the only car like it there.
I wonder how many /6 convertibles are still left out there that haven't been used to make a clone?  They have to be rarer than hemi cars!
Here in my area (Chicago suburbs) I see many E bodies.  I don't see too many driving down the road but at car shows and most cruises they are a fairly common sight.  I have seen many E body convertible clones over the years, but few really stick out in my mind.  That /6 from years back sure does though.  One of the reasons I got interested in Mopars back in my formative years early in high school was that they were not that common, and Mopar guys were sort of "outsiders".  I like to beat my own path in life rather than take the well worn trail so Mopars were the perfect fit for me.  You would never see me driving a "Camryo" Z28, too common.  In fact in high school I nicknamed them "clonemobiles" because they were everywhere and boring!  Sort of ironic that here 25 years later it seems like everyone is "cloning" many Mopars into hemis and 6 pack cars.  Maybe someday I will have an opportunity to own a stock /6 Challenger convertible so that I can continue to be unique.

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007 - 10:03:43 AM »
  My car wants to have a hemi in it when it grows up.   :D  There are quite a few e bodies around here but you dont see them very often. There is one 73 or 74 yellow challenger that  I see all the time. Now that I have gotten mine back on the road I have been doing a lot of cruising on nice days. My car gets a lot of attention which I'm not used to. It was parked for 20 years so this is all new to me again. I like it.  I just put new tunes in and today is supposed to be around 70* so I'm going to go burn up another tank of gas and maybe see some other hot rods about.   :ylsuper:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007 - 10:43:54 AM »
Personally I hate seeing Hemi Cuda's!!! Hemi Challys even worse!!!  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:

Seriously... around here there are only 3 E-bods that I know of. Mine, My bodymans 70 R/t SE 440 6pack and jrn101's that he's parting out... thats it! Fair amount of B's around but we all know that's not the same!  :nono:

P.S. I don't know of any 'cudas... NONE  :grinno:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007 - 09:01:25 AM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007 - 07:13:39 PM »
Maybe someday I will have an opportunity to own a stock /6 Challenger convertible so that I can continue to be unique.

That would be a unique car, I would like to have an original also.   :2thumbs:  Maybe give it the Hyper-pak upgrade, but keep it a /6.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar