Author Topic: Started 499 StROkEr today! Serious Issues  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: Started 499 StROkEr today! Serious Issues
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007 - 11:15:29 AM »

You are prolly gonna have to pull the heads to do it right.  If there is enough room between the back of the heads and the firewall, you might be able to "dig" whats left of the old ones out.  But in order to make sure you get the new ones in and correctly seated, you will most likely have to pull the heads and put them on a workbench in order to get them in correctly.

Thats probably what I would do if I was in a patient mood. However, if you wanted to get the engine running and driving asap, then you could temporarily run the expandable rubber plugs because they can be installed in tight places much easier. The rubber plugs have bailed me out a couple times and held up pretty well....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007 - 03:14:32 PM »
Or, you can use a hole saw and drill a hole through the firewall and remove and install the plug, then put a plastic hole plug in there. But this is from many years ago when ebodies only cost 500 bucks and dart/dusters were free. Pulling the heads is your best bet. If they rotted out, you may want to have the machine shop re work them. If you can manage to knock out some of the easier block plugs, your engine will probably like it better and run cooler this sumer, by flushing out the sludge....ALAN

nivvy

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007 - 11:57:36 PM »
I know my engine builder used brass plugs on the block but I got the heads off someone else on ebay a while ago so thats why the heads have the cheap steel ones....  :burnout:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007 - 07:47:42 AM »
Cheap steel ones last decades. If you run straight water, then rust will eventually cause problems.

Looks like you'll be busy for a bit

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007 - 04:51:42 PM »
Rather than taking the top of the engine apart. Maybe loosen everything up and get the old engine crane and slide the engine foward a little for better access..???

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007 - 05:00:37 PM »
Rather than taking the top of the engine apart. Maybe loosen everything up and get the old engine crane and slide the engine foward a little for better access..???

I see your point and agree.  But only if he is 100% certain that there was no other damage.  If it was my engine, I would pull the heads and intake just to have a look around and check it more closely for unseen damage....     :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007 - 06:43:23 PM »
After warming up the engine it reved good and had good idle at 900 rpm and oil pressure was in the 60 range.... the heads didnt started spitting out water until after the car was warmed up and I reved it to 6 grand ...

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007 - 10:14:23 AM »
First, why the F are you free revving a new enigne to 6K???  :faint:

Second, the reson the heads are cheaper is not becuase they are all the same...lol. It wouldnt suirprise me to see factory original steel plugs in the ehads. I know several "shops" that never even pop them out during cleaning. So, the heads need to come off to change them.