Author Topic: Challenger Brakes ?  (Read 742 times)

Offline BadJoey

Challenger Brakes ?
« on: April 01, 2007 - 04:24:01 PM »
Hello everyone . New here and this is my story . I have a 1970 Challenger that is rock solid . It came to me in pieces about 20 years ago and has been in my garage since . Well last year I decided it was time so I started work on it . I have had it upside down ,sand blasted and painted eveything . I'm up to installing the brakes .The car came with drum brakes however the guy I bought it from put disk from a 71 on front . As I am looking for brake lines they want to know drum or disk . I'm guessing I should get the ones for disk . Any thoughts ? Next will a manual brake master cylinder work with disk ? And last dose anyone know of any pitchers to help me run the lines in the right places ?  Thank yous for any help .
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007 - 06:13:28 PM by BadJoey »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Challenger Brakes ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007 - 10:25:16 PM »
you need disc brake hoses to fit the calipers
 & yes a manual brake cylinder will work with disc brakes AS long as the residual pressure valve is either romoved from the disc brake port in the master or the master is designed for disc brakes

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:06:42 PM »
Thanks for the input Chryco . The master cylinder I have is from the local Big A auto parts . It is a rebuild with a big res .(for the disk) and a small res for the drums . I hope that is what you were talking about .I tend to be a do it yourself kind of guy . Unfortunately sometimes that means doing things twice .I took a auto mech class about 30 years ago and although I work on my own cars no way do I know all I need to . But it means a lot more to me if I do things verses farming things out . If I can get my brother to help me I would love to put some pitchers on here . Sorry to say I know less about computers then cars .  :2thumbs:

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007 - 06:04:47 AM »
As I am pricing stainless lines and cables I came accross a co. with a tech line .The guy was very rude but I did get what I needed to know out of him . He said to use the lines for the drum brakes and the only difference would be the proportioning block on the frame . They are in the process of making one but it is not on the market yet , maybe late this summer . If I can't find one someplace else I'll have to wait .My problem now is where to buy the lines and cables , The rude tech kind of pi#@ me off but I can save $150.00 buying them there and he isn't going to know either way , if he even cares.

:stirpot: