Author Topic: Serpentine or standard alternator/power steering belts  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Dray

Serpentine or standard alternator/power steering belts
« on: April 02, 2007 - 12:55:28 PM »
Hello,

My hemi shipped about a month ago and after opening up the crate I realized that I will need a crankshaft pulley for it.  Sooooo, is it worth it to go with the a single serpentine belt setup or just the normal belts.  My existing alternator and powersteering pump are set up for a regular belt, but it is my understanding that these can be easily swapped to the serpentine setup.  Your thoughts?

Cheers,
dray

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Serpentine or standard alternator/power steering belts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 - 03:04:16 PM »
The serpentine systems look nice, no doubt. The price is a little up there though.  :scared:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 - 03:11:20 PM »
The serpentine systems look nice, no doubt. The price is a little up there though.  :scared:

Mike

:iagree:   Not only that, but if you lose the belt for some reason, you lose everything driven off of the belt...    :22yikes:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 - 09:14:10 PM »
I say go for it!!  I'm gonna . . . all I will lose is the Alt. and the water pump if I throw the belt.  I like the looks of it though . . .  :worshippy

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007 - 10:52:02 PM »

:iagree:   Not only that, but if you lose the belt for some reason, you lose everything driven off of the belt...    :22yikes:     

huh? how does that make it different from a regular v-belt?

I have a march setup for my new engine. I made the upgrade for two reasons. First, I like the look. Second, they are less likely to slip or come off. The latter one is the main reason I switched...I had a problem with my alt/water belt shooting off. I thought it was due to a bent pulley at the time because the pulley had a wobble. I figured that since I needed to buy a pulley anyway, I might as well upgrade. Funny thing is that I found out it wasnt actually the pulley, but rather the water pump that was bent :swear:. O well, I spent money for no reason...but at least was for an upgrade.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007 - 02:09:05 AM »
March has a set of pulleys to work for this , the serp belts last a long time & it is easy to see when they need to be replaced ... go for it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Dray

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007 - 12:21:32 PM »
Thanx for your replies everyone,

As far as cost, I am into this build sooooo deep right now, it really doesn't matter if I drop some extra bones on the serpentine.  :screwy:  It was good to hear there was some application to having a serpentine as opposed to just looks.  I think I will pursue it.

If anyone is interested, here are some pics of my fuel injected 426 from For Hemis Only.  Tim Banning who owns the shop is a hemi genius if not a little borderline fanatic about his engines.  :worshippy  Really happy with the engine though, can't wait to see it in the Chally.

Cheers,
dray
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007 - 12:27:15 PM by Dray »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007 - 01:49:56 PM »
 :wow:  Love the fuel injection set up!!!!!!  :drool:

What's that pushing for hp??????  Looks awesome!!!!!!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007 - 02:24:53 PM »
huh? how does that make it different from a regular v-belt?

The serpetine runs everything with one belt.  The older multi v-belts had one belt (at least) for each accessory.  So, you could lose the A/C belt and keep the water pump and power steering working while you get to the parts store and get another one.  You lose the serpentine, and you are stuck, just hope you get it shut off before it runs too hot... 
I agree with CP though,  they serpentines are easy to see when they are getting worn, and they look good.  Pros and cons to each type..............     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007 - 03:13:34 PM »
 :useless:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007 - 05:28:46 PM »

The serpetine runs everything with one belt.   

Ohh now I get where your coming from and that is a good point. Although, I dont know if there is a setup with a single multi-accessory serpentine belt for mopars. The march setup I have has two serpentine belts that just replaced my 2 v-belts.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Dray

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007 - 12:20:38 PM »
Super Blue - It is sitting at 698hp with torque well over 600#.  More than I wanted, but what are you going to do :faint:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007 - 02:49:02 PM »
Super Blue - It is sitting at 698hp with torque well over 600#.  More than I wanted, but what are you going to do :faint:

Maybe you can send some of that extra horsepower my way if you don't need it!  :roflsmiley:

Thanks for the reply!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger