Author Topic: Leaking Behind Header  (Read 1428 times)

nivvy

Leaking Behind Header
« on: April 02, 2007 - 05:43:10 PM »
Well I got the freeze plugs in and I filled up the radiator and it started leaking from behind the header on the drivers side in between the # 3 & 5 pistons where that extra hole is in the header flange is ??? Is it a head gasket or is there a freeze plug behind there ???     :pullinghair:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Leaking Behind Header
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 - 05:51:48 PM »
Header bolt holes go into the water jackets of the head on big blocks.  Is there a bolt missing from that hole?  Put some sealant on a header bolt and install it in the hole.  That should fix it right up.  If not, there are other issues, but there isn't a freeze plug in that location.  Good luck......     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 - 05:53:38 PM »
well I took out a header bolt and it started coming from out there now.....

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 - 05:55:06 PM »

Put some sealant on the header bolts and put all the bolts in every hole and that should stop any of that leaking.....    :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007 - 06:00:18 PM »

Well did you seal that header bolt when you put it in? Of course it will leak if you remove it, you have to seal it when you install it...or you'll have it leak through the threads.  :wave:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007 - 06:02:04 PM »
You confused me. Its leaking from behind the header between cylinders 3&5??? 3&5 are the two pipes that are right next to each other....there are no freeze plugs there, just a bolt on either side of the flange. There are freeze plugs between 1/3 and 5/7. Like oldschool said, all the header bolts pentrate the water jackets and need to be sealed. Start there and see if that fixes it.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007 - 06:29:00 PM »
I went out and double checked and the leak was between the 1st & 2nd header tube  on drivers side ???

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007 - 06:41:30 PM »
If you have another freeze plug issue in addition to the first ones, you probably should go ahead and pull the engine down and get it checked out thouroughly.  If it got cold enough to pop that many freeze plugs, there could easily be hidden damage to the block and heads.  That's what I would do if it was mine......     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:11:52 PM »
I went out and double checked and the leak was between the 1st & 2nd header tube  on drivers side ???

Yep theres a freeze plug there. At least they are much easier to replace then the rears. I attached a picture to show you where the plugs are at.

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:12:03 PM »
its another freeze plug.... I can see it...it is rusted out , not popped out...

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:23:43 PM »
Man, I can't keep up with you guys. Well now I would just pull the heads and send them back to the machine shop and let them go thru them..

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007 - 07:48:14 PM »
I would probably leave the heads on. You said you did the hard ones in the back, right? and the heads were bought on eBay and were already machined, right? The only real advantage to taking them off is to flush them out and that will cost you head gaskets. If there isnt anything else wrong, then I would just replace the rest of the freeze plugs in the heads.

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007 - 09:31:23 PM »
I just took the 2 out on the drivers side I pulled the other one for the heck of it....I think tomorrow I pull the other 2 on the passenger side....

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007 - 10:00:21 AM »
Just out of curiosity..How did you get the rar ones back in? An old mewchanic friend showed me how he levered them back in with a big prybar, a socket, and the cowl panel...but it left marks...
I would defiantely make sure all the old plugs are replaced.

nivvy

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007 - 10:04:13 AM »
I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut into the ones in the back until the got soft enough and pried em out with a small pic.... was very easy actually ....