Author Topic: March Serpentine pulley conversion - help!  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
March Serpentine pulley conversion - help!
« on: April 04, 2007 - 12:28:17 PM »
I picked up a kit from March but something is way off, and I'm thinking it might be the water pump pulley is mismarked/misboxed. I looked at the thread http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28437.0 and my water pump pulley doesn't look like the ones that in that thread.

Please post pics of your setup if you are running a serpentine pulley set.

I'm talking with March and they are leaning towards my needing to replace the balancer (ATi Super Balancer). But one of the guys in the thread appears to have the same balancer as I have and it looks like his pulleys line up.
Some background info - 440, MP aluminum water pump housing, Edelbrock pump, ATi balancer, Stock crank.

Thanks!

Here are some crappy cell phone pics -

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 - 12:38:14 PM by 4Cruizn »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: March Serpentine pulley conversion - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 - 12:41:41 PM »
Here's some pics of mine.  Hope they help.   :2thumbs:

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007 - 01:09:39 PM »
I am running an ATI Super Damper with a steel hub and March Setup ...Mopar aluminum water pump housing!!

It aint your damper!
Looks like like the edelbrock pump might be smaller...

Your water pump pulley is much closer to the housing than mine and the other pic posted!!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007 - 01:20:00 PM by StrOkEr »

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007 - 01:13:57 PM »
Looks like you need a spacer behind the water pump pulley.  Sure it is the correct water pump?  :dunno:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007 - 01:46:34 PM »
I slapped the front of my engine together for fitment yesterday, so I went and took these pictures real quick. The waterpump is not the permanent one as its bent, but it is straight enough for the pictures. Hope this helps....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 - 03:23:10 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll have to take some more measurements when I get home tonight. Edelbrock only lists one water pump for 58-78. The rear of my water pump pulley is literally .030" from the front face of the water pump. I countersunk the bolt holes in the pump to run countersunk bolts for more clearance. I still have my stock pulleys so I'll start there, see how the stock pulleys line up with the ATi damper. If the stock ones don't line up then I'll put the stock damper back on and see how they line up. If they still don't line up then I guess I'll have to get a stock pump and compare it to the edelbrock one. The water pump hub is pretty close to the end of the shaft so even if I wanted to move the hub some, there isn't much wiggle room there. I could use a spacer, but with the centerline of the pulleys off by 1/2" that would be a lot of spacers. Looking at your pics, it seems like they have 3/8 to 1/2" spacing behind the water pump pulley. yuck

:banghead:
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007 - 12:45:45 PM »
Thanks again for the pictures! I'm forwarding them onto March. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. Here are some other pictures I took last night. I may have multiple problems going on, but the water pump pulley is definitely wrong, so I will start there. These were taken with no bolts in the pump. Take a look

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007 - 12:22:54 PM »
hmm, it's been almost 3 weeks now and no response from March after sending in all the sample pictures and measurements. I've been trying to call them the last couple of days but I can't get through and their voicemail doesn't seem to work. Nice..... ???

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007 - 10:13:27 AM »
I would say you may have gotten a small block water pump pulley...I have that same setup on the customer's car at my house. Your pulley is definately different. If it's any consolation..the new single belt serp setup with AC is back ordered too. So the car wont make E Town....

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007 - 03:53:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with the water pump that I can see and the pump pulley looks the same? So wrong crank pulley?

I had no end of trouble with March about 10 years ago when I bought these pulleys. I won't go into it here but they are complete idiots.

On the water pump pulley I had to use socket head screws on the water pump as well as grind some material from the inside of the pulley in order for it to spin without catching.
Don't even aske me about the nightmares I had with the power steering pump. :swear:

I have put a ruler against the timing cover so you can see it is three inches to the pulley. The crank pulley should be 3 inches too.

Mine looks a bit off in this photo but that is just the photo.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007 - 03:56:23 AM by Dave-R »

Offline Dave-R

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007 - 03:58:34 AM »
Actually. Comparing photos again with all the rest...I bet they did a design change.

They do that now and again but they only change one bit at a time which is how I ended up with problems.

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007 - 05:07:51 AM »
i had the same problem with the Billet Specialties pulley set-up and the wider dampener, had to put 2 spacers behind the water pump

the engine builder recommended not using a stock dampener for my hemi

everything lined up very close with the spacers
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007 - 03:21:54 PM »
so the latest is that my edelbrock water pump must be the problem. They called me and suggested to get a stock pump and see how it compares. I'd be pretty pissed if the pump is wrong since I already modified it. And since my stock pulleys lined up, how could the pump be wrong. I've just about had it with these guys.....

Offline Dave-R

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007 - 03:29:35 AM »
What I find strange is that on some of the photos here you can see the pump bolts clearly. On others you cant.

So what is going on here?

I wonder if there is a difference between the power steering pulley kit and the non-power steering kit? That would make the water pump pulley different wouldn't it?

Mine was the power steering kit. But since then I moved to manual steering and had the front half of the crank pulley (where the PS belt went) machined off.

I am running an MP alluminium pump housing and a "Flowkooler" pump.