Author Topic: 71 challenger with aftermarket front end  (Read 693 times)

Offline kirks 71

71 challenger with aftermarket front end
« on: April 04, 2007 - 08:19:43 PM »
Im putting my 71 challenger back on the street after years of strip only duty.  My question is my car is a 2 x 3 chassis with an older chassis engineering A-arm front end with rack and pinion steering and pinto style spindles with coilover shocks and wilwood brakes.  My question is do you think the tube style a-arms which use bushings and not the rod end style mounts and small rod ends that are required to be ran with the pinto spindles and rack and pinion are street worthy strength wise.  They are really candy ass compared to the stock components.  Does any one run this type of front end on the street sucessfully?  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks,  Kirk

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: 71 challenger with aftermarket front end
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 - 08:47:47 PM »
That's not a good idea... Too much weight on those racing suspensions for potholes and dips.  Not to mention turning left or freeway use for that matter

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007 - 11:47:26 PM »
depends on the raod conditions where you are , offraod is smoother than our roads here , also the weight of the car , I can`t see a tubular control arm being weaker than the stamped steel one & the mustang II spidles are road worthy with some weight , I would still be cautious with it if you decide to street it & check it often 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 - 04:39:31 AM »
Well, the street rod crowd has been using pinto spindles and R&P set ups for decades, so it isn't out of the question they could be used on the street without any ill effects. Just avoid potholes if your concerned