Author Topic: Fuel Pressure Guage  (Read 599 times)

nivvy

Fuel Pressure Guage
« on: April 05, 2007 - 09:30:56 AM »
I have 2 of these in my challenger 1 under the hood is a mechanical and 1 in the car that is electrical...however the mechanical one is set to 7 psi as per dominator specs and the electrical one in my car reads 6 psi even though the mechanical is set to 7psi ??? any ideas ???

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Fuel Pressure Guage
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007 - 09:57:25 AM »
I assume you are talking about a fuel pressure regulator under your hood being set to 7 PSI? My mechanical gauge reads 6 psi, where the electrical is around 4-5 psi. The mechanical gauges are more accurate. Don't worry about it.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007 - 10:59:31 AM »
I assume you are talking about a fuel pressure regulator under your hood being set to 7 PSI? My mechanical gauge reads 6 psi, where the electrical is around 4-5 psi. The mechanical gauges are more accurate. Don't worry about it.

Mike

If it is a mechanical liquid filled it will vary with heat (a LOT) and also altitude if i remember right...keep that in mind.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 - 12:06:31 PM »
There are 2 kinds of pressure in the fuel line.  There is static pressure (when the fluid in the line is not moving). When the pressure is set with no movement, (like when using an electric fuel pump with engine shut off) the pressure will read the same at both gauges. (Assuming both are calibrated exactly the same)  Think of the garden hose, if you close the nozzle, you can feel the pressure build in the hose and the pressure is the same thoughout the length of the hose.
Then there is flow pressure (when the fluid is moving through the line).  This is where you will see differences between the gauges.  Again assuming that both are calibrated exactly the same.  The gauge closest to the pump source will read higher than the gauge farther away from the pump.  It's called friction loss, or loss of pressure due to friction.  As the fluid moves through the lines, it loses pressure as it encounters the inside of the lines and bends in the lines. That is why the water department has pump stations all throughout the water system, to overcome this friction loss.  There are other factors also.  The smaller in diameter the lines, the more pressure it takes to overcome the friction. In other words, if your have one gauge one a 1/2" line and the next one on a 1/4" line, the flow pressure will be lower on the 1/4" line gauge.  There are a couple of other less important factors also, but these are the biggies......  Hope this helps a little.......    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007 - 12:41:17 PM »
The mechanical guage and electrical guage hookups are an 1 1/2 from each other! The electrical itself is plugged right into the fuel pressure regulator and the mechanical is plugged right into a fitting right next to the regulator... and of course the electrical guage is all wires ... no lines...

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007 - 12:43:49 PM »
Could be the difference in the calibrations of both units.  If the carb is working right, and the car is running good, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Just drive it.......      :burnout:    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007 - 01:36:01 PM »
 :iagree:

If you want to get crazy you could start checking for voltage drop on the ground and power at the electrical gauge and the ground at the sender but if it runs good.........
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....