Author Topic: Lost a wheel on the way to the car show!!  (Read 3954 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Lost a wheel on the way to the car show!!
« on: April 05, 2007 - 07:22:50 PM »
Well, I made it to the Spring Mopar Madness show at the Virginia Motorsports Park in Petersburg VA, but on the way I had my driver's side front wheel come flying off my Challenger!  :swear: What a bummer, but it could have been worse as the wheel flew up across the interstate and could have gone through the window of an on-coming car. I thank the good Lord that no one was hurt. Metal can be replaced, but not a life! I had new Center Line rims and new BFG tires and was so pumped about getting them on the car for the show. Wheels and tires arrived Thursday, I had them mounted & balanced that day. Friday I pimped out the Challenger for the show and left early Saturday morning with my buddy for the show. Because I was so focused on the show, I put the wheels on tight as always, but did NOT do a re-torque after 50 miles of driving (good ole aluminum). Sooo about 5 miles from the track, the front end started to vibrate.  :scared: I started to pull over to the interstate shoulder. I had slowed to about 30 MPH and was actually on the shoulder when the wheel came flying off.  :banghead: It crumpled the front fender. The car skidded to a stop on the rotor. Mopars are TOUGH!! It looked like someone put my rotor on a milling machine and cut a perfect 1/2 inch off of the end. I recovered the wheel. The holes were a little egged out, but not too bad. The lug studs were not damaged and the brakes and suspension were ok except for the custom flat spot. So I put the wheel back on, used lug nuts from the other tires and went to the show. Needless to say I only had the car judged on one side!! :smilielol: I got the hard case  (and dumb ass) award for the weekend. There was a GTX there that had his back wheel come off of his car!! Waz up with that?? It was a bummer, but on a positive side, Goodmark now makes fenders (one is on the way!) and It was the perfect excuse to paint the whole car!! Gotta be positive!! See the picture!! I posted some pics from the show in "E-Body Picture" section.  :droolingbounce:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline bordin34

Re: Lost a wheel on the way to the car show!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:28:25 PM »
Thats unfortunate but it could have been worse. Do you have any other pics. Did you at least re-torque the other 3 after that one came off?

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:29:00 PM »
That is a sad sight . . . sorry to hear about your misfortune.  But you are right when you say it could of been worse.  Get it fixed up and mark it as lesson learned.  Always remember tighten the lug nuts a second time to make sure no accidents happen.   :thumbsup:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:29:59 PM »
Well, that sux...    :walkaway:   At least no one was hurt, and fenders can be replaced....    :cheers:     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:31:06 PM »
Well, that sux...    :walkaway:   At least no one was hurt, and fenders can be replaced....    :cheers:     :cooldancing:  

:iagree:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:31:54 PM »
Gonna stay the same color???

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:34:43 PM »
Well, that sux...    :walkaway:   At least no one was hurt, and fenders can be replaced....    :cheers:     :cooldancing:   

:iagree:

A friend of mine that I went to high school with was going to go down to spring break a few weeks ago with his buddies.  At the last minute he decided not to.  On the way down to Florida on the interstate, a semi going the opposite direction had a dual come off.  The dual crossed the median and slammed into their van, killing the driver and the kid behind him. 

It could have been worse.  Thank the Lord you and everyone else is ok.   :)

Offline bnorth

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007 - 07:46:34 PM »
I saw your car at the show Sun.

I was thinking what a bummer for someone, now I know the story.

Good to hear that no one was hurt.

Ben

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007 - 08:07:58 PM »
Wow,
Sorry to hear about the accident on the spring break trip in Fla!! Yes, I was fortunate. My buddy was real quiet and I realized that he had a load in his britches as I think I did as well!! :roflsmiley: I was thinking of an early Mopar blue, but the Hemi Orange has grown on me, so I am staying with the Hemi Orange. I love the black on orange!! I've added some more pics. That's one custom job that Galen Govier couldn't de-code!! LOL :smilielol: He was at the show looking at cars and gave several seminars. I know some folks are upset with his response time, but I guess he has too many irons in the fire. In the flesh he's a great guy and very informative.

Matt B.
Matt

71challengher

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007 - 08:21:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. Glad you are ok and nobody else got hurt.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007 - 08:24:09 PM »

Can't say I've ever heard of this happening, tyre blow outs, sure but the wheel coming off. :sly: Something you expect to see on a race track bot interstate 55 lol. Anyhow, glad you're OK as are others. The damage doesn't look too bad at all so you came out reasonably lucky. I have never "re-torqued" any of my wheels, ever and have never had this problem. Just do them up tight and leave them, though perhaps you had to do this because they were aluminum? :dunno:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007 - 11:09:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about this, glad everyone was okay.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007 - 12:08:33 AM »
Im sorry to see your chally hurt and I hope it gets fixed right away. There was an accident in my town a few years back where a wheel came off, bounced, and killed a guy that was outside. I also had two family members that have had there wheels come off, so I try to check my lugs often...especially with the unilug cragars. Certainly a dangerous situation for the occupants of the vehicle and anyone around them, so Im glad to see you made it out ok.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007 - 01:20:35 AM »
I have seen it happen a few times , could have bben worse & you are ok at least  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline old man

• I may old but I ain't slow
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007 - 06:13:16 AM »
Glad to see you are ok. Like you said fender can replaced and you did make it there.