Author Topic: Now, and then  (Read 2458 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Now, and then
« on: April 06, 2007 - 04:24:28 PM »
This is what my Challenger looks like now, and the second one is what it is coded for.  I played in photochop and made my top white.  Who likes what better?   :bigsmile:

And it doesnt matter what everyone says so much, its going to be white no matter what.  So you can rip on my photochop too, and I wont mind   ;D

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Now, and then
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007 - 09:40:28 PM »

You know what might look pretty neat mate, a white body side molding. I'm not sure if you're going 100% correct but at the moment (in the white top photo) it looks a little "wishy washy" not flowing too well. If you keep it white and orange IMO it would be a big benefit to the car VS black, orange and white which IMO is a clash of colours.

:2cents: :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007 - 10:12:31 PM »
If the interior was black I would say keep the black top, but since the interior is white I think it would look great.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007 - 10:21:37 PM »
 :iagree:  I have always believed that with black and white that the interior, top and stripes should match.  The only exception to the rule is the AAR's and T/A Challengers.  Although the AAR was available with white stripes, there is just way too much black on the outside of the car.  Would probably look pretty weird if the hood and things were whited out instead of blacked out.   :screwy:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007 - 10:37:15 PM »
Definitely stick with your plan for a white top.  Orange cars, Plum Crazy too, look a lot cooler with a white interior, white top, and either a sidestripe to match or none.  Too much color clashing occurs when the interior's white and the top's black, or vice versa. :2cents:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007 - 10:41:28 PM »
I really think the white top looks great with the white interior.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007 - 10:50:57 PM »
Cool color choices! 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007 - 10:54:05 PM by 4Cruizn »

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007 - 11:26:30 PM »
My Challenger had a white top when I got it, and it looked real good, but I like the painted top better myself.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 - 06:29:21 AM »
My car was originally coded with a white interior, white vinyl top, and white stripes all laid over avocado green metallic. While they may not look too bad together, that is just too much of a 70s flashback for me to want to return it to original. An orange car wouldn't look so bad with all the white accents.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007 - 07:38:58 AM »

You know what might look pretty neat mate, a white body side molding. I'm not sure if you're going 100% correct but at the moment (in the white top photo) it looks a little "wishy washy" not flowing too well. If you keep it white and orange IMO it would be a big benefit to the car VS black, orange and white which IMO is a clash of colours.

:2cents: :cheers:

I agree 100%.  Thanks for the comments guys. 

That side "stipe" that is on there now, really isnt a stripe.  Believe it or not, someone removed all the side molding, (which I got with the car, thank goodness)  and took black electrical tape to cover the holes, and make that "stripe" down the side.  Not kidding you, its black tape   :pullinghair:

So, how would a person go about making the black moulding white?  Its a plastic-like material.  I wonder how using something like the SEM products would work.   :dunno:  Would they hold up on the outside?

I like originality, but that black moulding I think will give it some clash.  Painting that moulding white wouldnt be irreversible.  I could paint it back black someday, or if I ever got rid of it  (I sure hope not, but stuff happens in life) someone else could put it back.   :2thumbs:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007 - 09:20:55 AM »

Yeah, good question. I'm not sure about how you'd paint it. I have a good complete set of body side moldings in storage, so if you stuff them up real bad you can buy mine off me. I won't need them. ;) All I know is, with the amount of sun they'll see you wanna make doubly sure what ever you use is good stuff that it's applied properly. Perhaps take her down to your local paint/body shop and see what they can suggest. Have you thought about removing and filling the body side molding holes properly and getting a "R/T" style stripe? Just a suggestion.  :cheers:

Offline 70challrtse

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007 - 10:52:26 AM »
I like the white better but both look cool.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007 - 11:21:24 AM »
Have you thought about removing and filling the body side molding holes properly and getting a "R/T" style stripe? Just a suggestion.  :cheers:

Yeah, I have.  For some odd reason I dont care for that stipe, not on my car anyways.  I want to keep it original looking.  Its hard to find a #'s matching BB, let alone one with a cool color combo, so I think the only thing I would try to change is that side moulding, something easily reversible.  I'll have to take a closer look at it today and see what its made of.   :clueless:

I like the white better but both look cool.

Thanks, the more I look at that white, the awesomer (is that a word?   :roflsmiley: ) it gets.   :thumbsup:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007 - 12:37:10 PM »

Will you be getting a bulge hood for the car? Looks quite neat without it but the bulge will add aggression.
Unless you are going for a sleeper look. :smokin:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007 - 03:21:21 PM »
Will you be getting a bulge hood for the car?

:grinno:

Looks quite neat without it ...

:grinyes:

Unless you are going for a sleeper look.

:grinyes:

It seems like everyone and their brother has a R/T hood on a Challenger.  Which is fine, but I like to be a little different.  When I think of whoever ordered this car, they seem like the classy type.  Not the mid 20's pounding the streets type of guys.  White top/white interior, A/C, side mouldings, 383 2 bbl, Magnum 500's vs. rallyes.  All those seem like good clues that this guy wanted a classy, yet powerful car. 

Maybe I think way too hard about this stuff...   :screwy: