Author Topic: Engine Questions ??? Experts Needed !!!  (Read 1043 times)

nivvy

Engine Questions ??? Experts Needed !!!
« on: April 07, 2007 - 10:23:29 AM »
Well ever since I had my freeze plug problems I have been worrying ... :faint: So my question is for today I seen dripping coming from under the car after letting it warm up but ... so I jacked the car up and looked under there and the dripping was coming out of the 2 rear oil pan bolts closest to the tranny... now the color of it was greenish and I couldnt find a trail running to these bolts ??? so I got worried and drained all the oil and it looked like regular black oil to me... had no color in it and there was no metal shavings or anything like that in there so I also drained the antifreeze I just put in the car the other day and when I took the cap off it was brown rust sludgey in there on the top of the core so when all the antifreeze was drained out I looked at it and it was brownish in color like a rust color ??? I take it this is from the inside of the water jackets in the block ???

So my thinking is I just had a little antifreeze that run off somewhere when I poured it in the other day probably down to those 2 bolts because it was greenish and couldnt be now because the antifreeze is brown rustyish now with no green color in it! and none of the freezeplugs I put in were dripping... I just cant figure out why there was greenish fluid dripping from out of those 2 bolts on the oil pan ???

The motor revs great and has good idle and oil pressure ... any Ideas or am I paranoid as heck ??? thx
also like I said the oil was black and thick like ... would it be obvious or easy to see if there was anything else in the oil like thinnish antifreeze which of course would be browinsh and thin ...

thx in advance!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Engine Questions ??? Experts Needed !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007 - 11:07:49 AM »
the engine was definatly not ceaned properly so yes all the brown is out of the block
not syure on the antifreeze leak , I would pressure test the cooling system & see what leaks

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007 - 12:39:46 PM »
It shouldn't be leaking from the oil pan bolts.  With the history of this engine, my guess would be the rear freeze plugs in the back of the block are leaking and the water is running down and dripping off of those bolts.   :2cents:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007 - 12:43:00 PM »
It shouldn't be leaking from the oil pan bolts.  With the history of this engine, my guess would be the rear freeze plugs in the back of the block are leaking and the water is running down and dripping off of those bolts.   :2cents:     

:iagree: :'(  WORST freeze plugs to go bad :eek4:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007 - 01:02:07 PM »
The rubber freeze plugs on the back of the heads are on temporary as my car is due at the garage monday to get the SSBC disc brake kit installed and subframed and a new front suspension...they said they have a special freeze plug tool and will try to replace the ones on the back of the heads...

Also how can I get the brown color out of the radiator...keep draining it ??? and again about the oil, would it be obvious if there was water like substance in there cause it looks completely fine with me !

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007 - 01:10:58 PM »
I think they are talking about the freeze plugs on the block not the heads.  I think there are at least 3-4 on the back of the block.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007 - 01:39:39 PM »
no freeze plugs in the rear fo the block But 3 on each side , you could have a crack between the freeze plugs too

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007 - 01:47:48 PM »
no freeze plugs in the rear fo the block But 3 on each side , you could have a crack between the freeze plugs too

True.  I should have been more clear.  Since he said the fluid was dripping off of the rear oil pan bolts, I was thinking it might have been coming from the rearmost of the three down each side and dripping from the bolts.  My bad.  I must remember to be more clear when CP is around...     :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007 - 02:20:35 PM »
When it was dripping I looked at all the freeze plugs on the block and the whole block and couldnt find anything...but remember the antifreeze I drained was brownish and the stuff dripping was greenish... puzzling isn't it ??? I bet its was leftover from the other day when I put it in ...

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007 - 02:45:42 PM »
Oops that must be a small block thing only..

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007 - 08:09:33 PM »
Well I found it.... it was the freeze plug on the passengers side closest to the firewall...was barely leaking and channeling across the back of the oil pan and dripping of the 2 rear oil pan bolts.... got it out already and gonna put in the new one...  :burnout: