Author Topic: starter relay and starting problems  (Read 1796 times)

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
starter relay and starting problems
« on: April 10, 2007 - 04:16:51 AM »
Hey i went to start my car last night and i got nothing. I have the the big battery cable going to the starter on the big terminal. There is another wire attached to the hot cable that goes to the relay. The small post on the starter has nothing on it at all. The negative is grounded to the car. There is a red and blue wrie attached by a fusible link coming from the wiring harness that attach to the relay.Then there are two other wire that attach to the relay. I have an old polara that i have been taken some small items off of and on that set up it has a wire coming from the small post of the starter to the relay do i need this??? and the main question  is does anyone have a wiring diagram that would work for a 72 chally 318 that has been swapped to a 440 ????? any help would be appreciated.

P.S  i used a jumper wire to at least make it turn over so i know the engine is cpable of turning over but just a lil stumped right now!!! thanks  for your time

Offline WVUFELLA

Re: starter relay and starting problems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007 - 04:20:51 AM »
hey guys i for got to tell ya that i got 2 new wiring harnesses from year one  i  got a new engine harness and forwrd light harness. if that helps ???????

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007 - 05:36:34 AM »
I have a 72 chally with a 499 in it now (was a 318).... http://www.mymopar.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

My battery is hooked up direct to the starter and the 2 wires from the relay is hooked up to the started as well...one is the same as the battery cable and the other on the small post.. I would post pics but my car is in shop getting disc brake kit/suspension ..

If you have an automatic make sure the shifter lever on the tranny is going the whole way to park because of the neutral safety switch.... mine did this last week ... turned the key and there was nothing even thought the car was in park I reached up and pushed the lever the whole way back to park ... and it fired right up  :burnout:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 - 05:38:20 AM by StrOkEr »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007 - 07:15:50 AM »
pic from my '73
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007 - 04:48:42 PM »
hey guys would the ampmeter inside the car on the dash have anything to do with it not starting?? someone told me it would not charge unitl that is hooked up??? i dont have any of the gauges in or anythign done inside the car i just want to start it up????

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007 - 06:14:48 PM »
You need to have it connected.  Or at least put the two wires together and tape them.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007 - 06:28:30 PM »
"The small post on the starter has nothing on it at all"

I miss something here? There needs to be a wire there to trigger the solenoid to turn the starter. See the picture above with the label that says 'to starter' on the starter relay. There needs to be a wire there that runs down to the small post on the starter solenoid. Or no crank for you. And yes the amp gauge needs to be jumped or wired in series.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007 - 10:39:42 AM »
I'm w/ Goody on this one. You need a wire from the relay down to the small solenoid terminal on the starter.  On Bullitt's picture, you can see what you should have.  If you cross the starter terminal and battery terminal (of the relay) with the tip of a screwdriver, the engine should crank (if you have the solenoid wire from the relay). If you cross those two and, at the same time, have a jumper wire connecting the positive battery terminal to the ballast resistor, it should fire up (and then you can at least move it someplace to work on).  Did the small wire fall off the solenoid terminal of the starter?  Did the neutral safety switch (on an automatic trans) fall out of the trans? That's the little plug with three connections in a straight line that plugs into the trans. If it's a stick, there is a little wire that does the same thing that goes from the relay to a switch above the clutch pedal. On a normally wired car, the engine won't crank if either of those is broken or disconnected. Here's a '70 wiring diagram; the colors may be slightly different, but the function is the same. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 - 10:44:20 AM by FY1Cuda »