Cuda repo shell

Author Topic: Cuda repo shell  (Read 10164 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Cuda repo shell
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007 - 10:58:19 AM »
They make repo shells of Cobras and that didn't effect original Cobra's values at all. Original is original meaning rarity and value. Just my opinion.

:iagree: I think Kirkham Motorsports or something like that in the U.K. is reproducing aluminum bodied cars and I don't hear Shelby calling foul over it......yet.  He did try to do in the kit car guys like Factory Five Racing but couldn't do it.  Shelby cars are still doing well from what I understand.

A new shell would be great as a starting point, as others have mentioned.

Here's the website of the company that's making the Camaro and Mustang shells.  No mention that I can see of Cuda stuff.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 - 11:04:27 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007 - 11:31:15 AM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 - 11:33:30 AM by HP2 »

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007 - 11:32:14 AM »
For those of you who don't recieve it, the recent article in Hot Rod actually blended several manufacturers together in one article.

Dynacorn is doing the 67-68 Camaro coupe, 69 Camaro Coupe and 69 Camaro convertible as well as the 67 Mustang fastback.

Goodmark is doing 1st gen Camaro hybrids by blending the 4th gen floor pan with the 1st gen body.

Experi-metal is making 57 Chevy convertibles, using an original firewall/cowl and the balance is all new stampings. they have a 55 convertible in the works.

Promax Vennom has a fiberglass tube chassis Chevy 2, 70 Mustang and is working on a 70 Cuda. These are custom laid bodies that resemble, but are not exactly like stock. Think of them like the fiberglass rod bodies, they look somewhat original but no original parts will interchange with them.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007 - 11:38:42 AM »
Dynacorp looks to be doing more in the future.  I'm sure down the line they will make them, but dont see it being in the near future.  Look how long its taking for fenders and full cuda quarters!
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007 - 12:08:28 PM »
:iagree: I think Kirkham Motorsports or something like that in the U.K. is reproducing aluminum bodied cars and I don't hear Shelby calling foul over it

The only reason that Shelby isn't complaining about them is because he gets his bodies for his cobras from them. (I got this info from a reputable source who will remain nameless)
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007 - 12:43:45 PM »
In CT, you would have to have a CT VIN from DOT assigned. Then it must fit all the regulations that pertain to that year..So a '70 car would have a generic VIN and not be smog tested.

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007 - 07:28:40 PM »
There is  aCuda fiberglass shell, but it is not through Goodmark, or DynaCorn.
As all have previously speculated, the VIN documentation had to be refined for the Camaros and the Mustangs. I have no idea :screwy: why there is no Dynacorn Cuda, but I am sure it is closer than you think.

I encourage all interested to write or contact your Mopar representative. :stirpot: :stirpot: :banghead: :swear: :bananasmi

Maybe, just maybe someone might get a clue.

I have  a clue....I work for Ma....

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline toplescuda

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007 - 10:54:51 PM »
i cant see them making a cuda  in steel  there are wayyy to many parts that  will need to be made by the aftermarket  such as 70 only header panel(or 71-74 for that matter)  fenders (god knows when thay will be out) firewall,cowl panel, inner wheel tubs, roof, rear tail panel, rear lic plate bucket(70-71) the trunk hings,brace,s behind the back seat,doors, bumper brackets(front/rear),core support...that is to much to be done for it to be made anywhere sooon

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007 - 11:02:47 PM »
Lots more for the challenger available, but dont seen them doing one.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Cuda_Shizzle007

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007 - 10:08:32 AM »
Working a deal out with Chrysler won’t be a problem. For each one sold they will just receive a %. Tooling up the car doesn’t take as long as one thinks with all the computer work that cuts time dramatically.
Being the Cuda is so sought after, making and selling shells is a huge positive for a company already tooling other shells. If a profit can be made it will be created.
How will it affect the market? Originals will still bring a high penny, but people making Clones will lose a little market values. On the other hand is will help those who want one, but are afraid of buying a rust bucket and being out a lot of cash before even really getting started.
As for the Cobra and Shelby, he went after factory five and won some stash, but he is partnered with a South African company Superformance. They make the Cobra and Daytona and are authorized and he endorses them. Saw a tv series on the facility, you tell them which car, color, and it is shipped over completed minus engine and tranny. They have authorized dealers located in the US and worldwide.
I for one am for it, as I would like to build a 70 Cuda looking all original, but upgrade the suspension with air ride to better enjoy driving it. :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007 - 11:09:02 AM by Cuda_Shizzle007 »

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007 - 10:45:44 AM »
Can you say REBODY! If they are going to make them they need to be vin numbered and in a lot of hidden places that cannot be cut out and replaced.  :2cents:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline IAfarmer

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007 - 11:08:32 AM »
Since I live here in IA, and the E-bodies left to fix up are junk, I'll take a reprop body.  Then I won't feel bad about driving it too hard.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007 - 11:31:24 AM »
Can you say REBODY! If they are going to make them they need to be vin numbered and in a lot of hidden places that cannot be cut out and replaced.  :2cents:

But you can rebody an original as easily as you could a repop with the way they were originally built. It all comes back to buyer beware.

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007 - 03:08:32 PM »
Id rather convert a 72-74 to a 70 or 71 style, repop shells wont be cheap... how many people here would pay 15-20k?
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007 - 05:56:29 PM »
Id rather convert a 72-74 to a 70 or 71 style, repop shells wont be cheap... how many people here would pay 15-20k?

Not unless I win the lottery.  :bigsmile:  I would be more worried about the government making the repo meet modern emissions, so I would try to stay original.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar