Author Topic: Front Sway Bar  (Read 1991 times)

nivvy

Front Sway Bar
« on: April 14, 2007 - 10:57:12 AM »
Got my car back from the shop and the guys there said the front sway bar will affect performance at the track ??? any thoughts ???   :burnout:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Front Sway Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007 - 02:11:41 PM »
The only real way to find out is to run it a couple times with the sway bar and a couple times without, then compare the numbers.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007 - 03:44:33 PM »
The only real way to find out is to run it a couple times with the sway bar and a couple times without, then compare the numbers.  :2thumbs:

He's right, that's the best way to find out. I assume you mean the drag strip, if so then the chances are that the shop was right. The reason for this is the swaybar works against you in a few ways. One is the weight transfer, it slows the speed at which the front suspension can droop as you launch, the other is the weight itself hanging up front. If you drive your car on the street I wouldn't advise completely removing the bar, but it has been done before. One thing I've seen people do before is come up with a quick release system on the end links so they can take it loose at the track and use saftey wire to hold it up, then reattach before driving home.
I'm sure someone that's done this before can offer better advice. I'm in to road racing so probably end up with the largest one I can acqurie.
J

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007 - 05:18:19 PM »
why would you wanna take it off for street driving..... dont make sense or why would they sell the sway bar...

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007 - 06:00:40 PM »
why would you wanna take it off for street driving..... dont make sense or why would they sell the sway bar...

I don't know, some people do wierd things. You won't find me doing this, but you will see a lot of this at a drag strip on dedicated race cars.
J

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007 - 09:50:56 PM »
where can I get a quick release setup.........

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007 - 05:00:07 AM »
where can I get a quick release setup.........
Due to the unique application, these may have to be fabbed. They are real common in th 4wd scene, but those are typically too long for an e-body. You could use a wing nut in place of the "nylock" nut that's probably there and then drill a hole and put in a hitchpin to hold it in place.
Jason

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007 - 08:51:59 AM »
do you just unloosen one side or something or take it completely off at the track ??? thx

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007 - 09:59:29 AM »
do you just unloosen one side or something or take it completely off at the track ??? thx

I would think to be fully effective and "safe" you'd need to do both sides. Then you probably need to use saftey wire to tie the sway bar up so as not to flop around on the other suspension components.

At this point I have to ask are you bracket racing, or just going for test and tune for the fun of it?
Jason

nivvy

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007 - 11:22:26 AM »
havent ever been to the track ... just wanna get a good time slip...

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007 - 11:32:30 AM »
havent ever been to the track ... just wanna get a good time slip...

If you do not plan on racing much and mainly drive it on the street, then I would not worry about removing the sway bar.  As long as it does not limit traction, then the car should not vary much with or with out it.  If you were going to be a regular racer and you needed every tenth to win, then I would remove it when racing.  You will just have to test it to be sure.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007 - 11:37:25 AM »
If you do not plan on racing much and mainly drive it on the street, then I would not worry about removing the sway bar.  As long as it does not limit traction, then the car should not vary much with or with out it.  If you were going to be a regular racer and you needed every tenth to win, then I would remove it when racing.  You will just have to test it to be sure.

I couldn't agree more.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007 - 06:44:41 AM »
It may make a small difference if the rest of your suspension is set up properly and dialed in, a few being a couple hundreths or so. Nothing huge at all. However, if you've never been to the track before, chances are you are not going to notice the slight changes in shock valving, weight transfer, and suspension movement to say it makes you faster. If you are actually competing, the consistency provided by the bar is going to make the car a whole lot more predictable and fun to drive while you familiarize yourself with the cadance of the lights, the way your car moves and reacts, and getting a feel for its attitude under power. You will notice that you are going to get quicker and quicker each time you go out as you get different aspects of the car sorted out and your engine gets run in. Once you can get the car stabilized and repeatable in the e.t., then start playing with adjustments to shocks, spring clamps, sway bars, tire pressures, roll out, etc.