Author Topic: What would you do with this '70?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
What would you do with this '70?
« on: April 14, 2007 - 06:08:56 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm new to the game and am debating what to do with a car that I bought, techincally, as a parts car.  It's a 1970 318, nothing special about it... other than it happens to be the only 1970 barracuda I own ;)

this car came as a package deal with a 72 that had been cut in half, presumably due to an accident.

This is coming to a head now because a friend of mine gave a number of a guy who buys e-bods "in any condition".  So, I'm wondering if I off-load these cars and try to come up with money to buy a 72-74 cuda in better condition.

Trouble is, I prefer the 70 to the later models. 

the car itself is not pretty.  It needs both quarters, the fenders have bondo AND rust and the a-pillars have issues as well (they are structurally sturdy still...)  The floor is actually pretty good, the trunk is ok the right side, but the left side is a mess with the frame rail almost totally rusted away. 

What would you do with this car?

Offline moparclown

• Resident
Re: What would you do with this '70?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007 - 06:22:16 PM »
It all comes down to money and labor---Are you gonna do the work yourself?how far do you want to go with the resto?Parts are more $ for 70 only stuff,trust me I have learned that lesson.And are you married?And if so,is she forgiving(time and $)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007 - 06:44:30 PM »
The car can be rebuilt, but it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend doing so.  Chances are you would end up sticking more money into repairing the rust than if you were to save up and purchase another 'Cuda in better condition.  If you have the resources available and don't mind having the car off the road a little longer, then I'd say go for rebuilding this one. (Provided you have everything needed for the interior.) :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007 - 07:18:47 PM »
Well, I was mostly concerned about the frame rail being pretty much gone on the left side.  it seems like people talk about those all the time. 
I guess now I have to debate whether I can afford to fix this car.  i don't really think I can afford another 70. I don't have the liquid cash.  However, I can put money into one a bit at a time.  I just wasn't sure this car was savable. 

I'm working on a t-bird right now, but once I get that out of the garage, perhaps I'll put this one in there instead of sending it on down the road. 

I am not concerned about ever getting out what I put into it.  there is virtually no chance I'd ever sell it, were it finished.  I just want to ensure I'm not polishing a turd that is just too scarred to save.

You'll know if I start working on it because I will be posting a lot of stupid questions  :clueless:

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007 - 07:21:44 PM »
The only thing that I can say is that if you do sell it, don't keep the guys number - Just move on. It would drive me crazy to see the car after this guy gets done with it and knowing that it could have been yours. I am sorry, but I have let too many go too soon.

Although, Like it has already been said. Before you do anything sit down and access exactly what needs to be done and how close you are financially to making that happen.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007 - 07:24:30 PM by Madmax440 »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007 - 07:27:47 PM »

I am not concerned about ever getting out what I put into it.  there is virtually no chance I'd ever sell it, were it finished. 

That right there says you should keep it.  If that's your dream car, there's no substitute, even a '72-'74 model.  Find some good body guys and figure out how mush it'll cost to do the frame rail.  See if you can live with bondo for a bit to save some $$$.  I wonder if you find a '72-'74 parts car if maybe you can transfer the parts to the 70.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007 - 07:46:33 PM »
well, actually I have a 72 parts car, it's the one in the background above ;)

it doesn't have many parts, and I'd just as soon have left it, but it was a package deal.  I've only got front seats at this point, but hey, you can't really do much in the back seats of these kinds of cars anyway lol.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007 - 07:56:54 PM »
Well to me, it looks like a parts car that  no longer has very many usable parts.  Other that the shell, whick needs a lot of work, you are actually starting with just a shape.  I personally could not afford this type of  adventure, however don't show it to the Clown!!!!
Dave or David

Offline Rob_In_MN

• Noob for life
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007 - 08:18:00 PM »
Well, most of the parts that came with it are in my basement or garage.  the doors (i actually have 4 to choose from) an extra set of iffy fenders, the hood (which is in excellent shape) and extra set of bumpers.  Lots of trim peices, the tail lights, door panels, kick panels and a-pillar covers all jump to mind. 

Offline Husker Cuda

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007 - 08:47:05 PM »
Hey Rob, sorry i can't tell you what to do but that 70 would look real nice in your garage after a few years of throwing lots of time & $ at it.  I like your attitude about not worrying about how much you will have in it when done but just doing a little at a time.  That's what I do as well, that way you get what you want over time.  If you have an extra set of front bumper brackets off of the 72, I would be interested.   PM me or email me at bish1@charter.net if you are interested, I need a set for my project. 

good luck! :cheers:

Mike
1974 'Cuda 512 stroker 650HP Indy heads, Hemi 4 speed, pistol grip - restored to new.
1970 GTX 440/727 Y4 Gold w/ black interior
1969 Camaro SS 396 4-speed X22
1970 Chevelle SS 396 - 375HP M22 4 speed

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007 - 05:14:30 AM »
Well, most of the parts that came with it are in my basement or garage.  the doors (i actually have 4 to choose from) an extra set of iffy fenders, the hood (which is in excellent shape) and extra set of bumpers.  Lots of trim peices, the tail lights, door panels, kick panels and a-pillar covers all jump to mind. 

Rob,

A lot of good advise but only you can decide, with all the extra parts that you have maybe you can use them to fund the Cuda's restoration.  Save the best ones for your cuda and sell the others, but remember you are building a 70 Cuda many items  are a one year only item.  Many of us have done it that way when money is short.  Take your time and don't rush yourself. 

FY1

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007 - 05:42:38 AM »
Well, I was mostly concerned about the frame rail being pretty much gone on the left side.  it seems like people talk about those all the time. 
I guess now I have to debate whether I can afford to fix this car.  i don't really think I can afford another 70. I don't have the liquid cash.  However, I can put money into one a bit at a time.  I just wasn't sure this car was savable. 

Finding a `70 with a decent body will cost some $ and you will still probably have some rust issues.If it is what you want it can be fixed and a lot of parts are available or will be soon.Replacing a frame rail is no different than any other panel you just need to block up the car correctly and do plenty of measuring.If you can do the major body work/welding you will save a lot and most guys with some skill and a welder can learn.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007 - 05:44:40 AM by torredcuda »
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007 - 08:27:55 AM »
Tons of great advise here from what I've read. I think you really need to understand the time and $$ committment here. I saw alot of cars that "started" to get restored... and after a year or 2 when you don't "see" alot of progress you can get very discouraged even tho you already spent $$$$$$ and lots of time. And you end up selling it and loseing everything. Best of luck!  :cheers:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl