Author Topic: Primer Question  (Read 620 times)

KTO

Primer Question
« on: April 16, 2007 - 08:39:32 AM »
Hey,

I'm getting ready to paint a jeep I bought wrecked a couple weeks ago. I just have a question about priming it.

The vehicle will be about 90% old paint and filler. I've got a gallon of nason urethane 2K primer for it.

My question is do I need to put down an acid etch or epoxy first on the areas where bare metal is showing? There isn't much bare metal but there are some large patches where I feathered the filler.

Here is a picture that is representative of the truck...

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007 - 09:29:19 AM by KTO »

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Primer Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007 - 09:16:18 AM »
The couple times I helped my father paint our cars, we just made sure the bare metal was completely clean and applied the primer.  Have not had any problems with them yet.  Other members may have did something else.  :dunno:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

KTO

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007 - 09:20:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I've never "painted" a complete car but I've primed a couple. I've used ppg epoxy in the past but I have never had luck being able to DA it. I figured I'd experiment on the jeep since, well, it's just a jeep.  :swaying:

I know I can put the 2K over paint and filler, I'm just wondering about the bare metal spots. The epoxy I used can be applied over bare metal, I'm just wondering about the 2K stuff as I've never used it.

BTW, Nice looking car in your sig!

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007 - 09:27:34 AM »
BTW, Nice looking car in your sig!

Thanks.

I would double check with a couple of the other members first to be sure on the primer.  Good Luck.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar