Author Topic: TTI ground clearence  (Read 1925 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
TTI ground clearence
« on: April 16, 2007 - 09:08:01 PM »
I was wondering if anybody can let me tell me how the ground clearence on their small block TTI headers is.  I have a 73 Cuda with a 340 and hooker super comp headers and they hang just too low for New York City driving because I have already dented them and they are not that old.  Do the TTI headers fit up into the frame at all or do they hang low like the hookers.  Any info or pics would be great.

Thanks,

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: TTI ground clearence
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007 - 09:21:51 PM »
TTi sit closer to the body than any header I have seen

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007 - 09:31:12 PM »
I have a set of TTI's for my 340 waiting in the garage to be installed as soon as my motor gets back from the machine shop.  I'll let you know what I think as soon as I have them installed.  I previously had Hedman headers on the car so it should be really interesting to see the difference in clearence.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline MoparMatt383

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007 - 02:53:19 PM »
How was the clearence on the headmans and does anybody have a pick of the TTI headers on a small block car?

Matt

Offline Whitehatspecial

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007 - 03:05:09 PM »
I bought a new old set of Doug Thorley headers off ebay for my b body with a 340 for around 100.00. I had them ceramic coated locally for 200.00. They fit great and have plenty of clearance. I couldn't bring myself pay TTI's high prices. 

:stirpot:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 - 03:25:13 PM by Whitehatspecial »

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007 - 03:28:51 PM »
How was the clearence on the headmans and does anybody have a pick of the TTI headers on a small block car?

Matt

The clearance on the headmans was terrible.  That is why I broke down and spent the money for the TTI's.  I got tired of banging the headers everytime I went over a speed bump (regardless of how slow I went).  The other thing I hated about the headmans was I couldn't take out the 5 & 7 spark plugs with out loosing up the headers, the one exhaust pipe was just to close to get any type of wrench or socket in there.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007 - 03:37:50 PM »
i just got the TTI's on alittle while ago. 340 'cuda.  they are low at the flanges. But way better than any that drop low for the steering.  I'll get some better pics soon.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007 - 05:11:10 PM »
i just got the TTI's on alittle while ago. 340 'cuda.  they are low at the flanges. But way better than any that drop low for the steering.  I'll get some better pics soon.

:iagree:

Offline MoparMatt383

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007 - 05:33:15 PM »
IMNCARN82, about how many inches do you have at the flanges with the TTIs?  Right now I have about 3 inches clearence with my super comps.

Matt

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007 - 06:16:50 PM »
I have Hooker Super Comp's #5115. I have 5" ground clearance and a deep oil pan. Haven't hit anything yet. I don't worry about the headers just the oil pan. Now that I looked at them tonite, I'm going to send them out to get recoated. Their about 20 yrs old now..

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007 - 07:39:12 AM »
I bought a new old set of Doug Thorley headers off ebay for my b body with a 340 for around 100.00. I had them ceramic coated locally for 200.00. They fit great and have plenty of clearance. I couldn't bring myself pay TTI's high prices. 

That company seems to be split in two now. There is another company calling itself "The original Dougs Headers" (actually owned by PerTronix) that sell headers that look exactly like the TTI headers to me but for less money.

They come ceramic coated and with Cometic head and collector gaskets as standard.

I don't know what their small block headers are like but I am extremely impressed by their 440 headers. I wanted to take them to bed with me but the wife wouldn't have it. :lol2:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007 - 07:57:08 AM »
The clearance on the headmans was terrible.  That is why I broke down and spent the money for the TTI's.  I got tired of banging the headers everytime I went over a speed bump (regardless of how slow I went).  The other thing I hated about the headmans was I couldn't take out the 5 & 7 spark plugs with out loosing up the headers, the one exhaust pipe was just to close to get any type of wrench or socket in there.
:iagree:
I have the hedman hedders because of the price.  They work very good, just hang down pretty low.  Currently on my second set because the first set got bent on a friends rough driveway.   :stomp:  I don't go to his house any more.   :grinno:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Whitehatspecial

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007 - 09:03:02 AM »
That company seems to be split in two now. There is another company calling itself "The original Dougs Headers" (actually owned by PerTronix) that sell headers that look exactly like the TTI headers to me but for less money.

They come ceramic coated and with Cometic head and collector gaskets as standard.

I don't know what their small block headers are like but I am extremely impressed by their 440 headers. I wanted to take them to bed with me but the wife wouldn't have it. :lol2:

When I was looking for headers last fall I emailed the new "Thorley" company and they did not have small block headers at that time. Hopefully they have them soon, because TTI needs to have some competition. 

Offline Dave-R

• Challenger Message Board
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007 - 10:37:25 AM »
From memory the "Dougs" small block headers are just over $500 which is still a lot of money but the quality is top notch.

Oh! I do like a thick flange! :woo:

Offline MoparMatt383

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007 - 07:02:42 PM »
Vinb can you give me a measurement of your ride height?  I guess if you could measure from the front lip of the K frame.  I have no where near that much clearence, lol. 

Thanks,

Matt