Author Topic: What would we do if they made us smog our cars again or take them off the road?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
I have always wondered what would happen if they made us smog our cars again?I know here in calif,you never know what will happen and with who is in the govenors seat.There is alot of tree huggers out there lobbying and not to mention the calif air resources board.I wonder if its a matter of time :clueless: :dunno:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
I'd do the same thing I always do, gut a couple cataleptic perverters,  put the smog devices in place long enough to get it certified.  Then keep it tuned up so it pollutes less than a new car with all that crap in place.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Stacked440

I just hope we get a half decent governor in Michigan in a few years.......Otherwise something like whats in Cali might happen here :walkaway:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
I would take a weekend and swap motors with a bone stock fresh 318, and install bolt in cats, and then swap everything back the following weekend. :stirpot:
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
Neither of my cars ever had smog pumps ect on them,the only thing that had to be added in the early 80's was the NOX kit calif required.I dont know what else they can make you add since the cars didnt originally come with cats ect.The 72-74 may be another story.Both my cars have 383's,same motors they came with(numbers engine are bagged)
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
There is a guy on here that had to go thru hoops out in Arizona, if I remember correctly. I haven't see him on this site in ages, so I can only remember his name was Scott.  :banghead: He had to fiddle with his carb to lean it down to pass emissions on his 70 Challenger.  :dupe:  :dupe:  :dupe:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
I just registered a 1970 dated plate to my Challenger in Missouri. From now on, no more inspections or license renewals EVER.  I'm now looking for a good 1972 plate and a 1971 plate for my other cars.   The state law says that If I have a plate dated the same as the Mfg date of my car, I can register it as a historic plate. That plate will belong to my car as long as I own it.   I now have a Mopar "1970" vanity plate for the front.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
72-74 DOESNT HAVE CATS.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
The county where I live in WI requires our vehicles from 1968 on up to pass an emissions test. When I brought my Challenger up from MO in March 2004, in order to get registered and then get my collector car plates I had to pass the emissions test. Kept fiddling with the carbs, on the third try I finally passed. Car ran like sh*t, but it passed. The funny part about this is what the testing inspector said to me after I passed. " Now go on home and fix it so it runs like it should ". Which I did, but these guys know the score and what us car guys will do. What a joke - once you pass, you fall off their radar screen, then you can do whatever you want. These emissions tests are worthless and unnecessary. The nice thing about the collector car plates is that once you have them, you never have to undergo another emission test again as long as you own the car, and you never have to renew your plates.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
I just hope we get a half decent governor in Michigan in a few years.......Otherwise something like whats in Cali might happen here

You need it.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
There is a guy on here that had to go thru hoops out in Arizona, if I remember correctly. I haven't see him on this site in ages, so I can only remember his name was Scott.  :banghead: He had to fiddle with his carb to lean it down to pass emissions on his 70 Challenger.  :dupe:  :dupe:  :dupe:
  Mike

I believe his name is Rob...   I get to do the same thing in AZ but it's no big deal. They see me coming and smile ready to give me a hard time. 
I came, I saw and I kicked some A$$

I figure the state of Arizona makes the rules of the game and I just play by them  :bigshades:

Offline Andrew

• Resident
If it were me (and I lived in USA and actually owned a car) I would go to EFI.

Very Handy.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
We just started emiisions testing last year but only for OBDII vehicles.Hopefully we will never have to test the older cars in this state.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
72-74 DOESNT HAVE CATS.
I knew they didnt have cats,wasn't sure if in some states they had smog pumps.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
The county where I live in WI requires our vehicles from 1968 on up to pass an emissions test. When I brought my Challenger up from MO in March 2004, in order to get registered and then get my collector car plates I had to pass the emissions test. Kept fiddling with the carbs, on the third try I finally passed. Car ran like sh*t, but it passed. The funny part about this is what the testing inspector said to me after I passed. " Now go on home and fix it so it runs like it should ". Which I did, but these guys know the score and what us car guys will do. What a joke - once you pass, you fall off their radar screen, then you can do whatever you want. These emissions tests are worthless and unnecessary. The nice thing about the collector car plates is that once you have them, you never have to undergo another emission test again as long as you own the car, and you never have to renew your plates.
SE wisconsin ... gotta luv it.  I gave them the adress to my buddys cabin...   :bigsmile: Gotta say collector plates ROCK!

Did you hear the latest.. now they are thinking of getting rid of the smog testing cause its costing to much to maintain the program.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl