Author Topic: Federal study  (Read 1697 times)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
Federal study
« on: April 18, 2007 - 07:41:08 AM »
Well, more stupid news in this mornings paper. From Washington DC, the fed. EPA is considering making more strict standars on emmisions.........................on your lawn mowers. I dare say that committee will take a few years and a few million $$ in studies and recomendations.  Soon you'll be receiveing said notice in your mail box,: "It comes to our attention that your Grass Clipper Deluxe is in excess of three years old and thus will not fall within the mandated emmisions standards set forth by BS bill # yu-r 66 xd. You must either replace the current engine or purchase such mower that will comply with said regulation requirements."     :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Federal study
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007 - 10:24:24 AM »
 :eek7:  Is this for real?  Sounds like the Government and Toro are in on it togther......  :sly:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007 - 11:13:24 AM »
 :pullinghair: Know all about this,my buddy has some stock in the co.making the converters and such for some of the mower co.i can see it now,bring your mower to a emission testing station.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007 - 11:24:56 AM »
Man,  one of these days they are gonna have some kinda law that you can't pass a little gas without some sort of converter or neutralizer...........    :roflsmiley:     :smilielol:   :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007 - 11:33:57 AM »
All I have to say is... $50.00 hammer.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007 - 01:20:10 PM »
Man,  one of these days they are gonna have some kinda law that you can't pass a little gas without some sort of converter or neutralizer...........    :roflsmiley:     :smilielol:   :cooldancing:   

Yeah, they'll be federal agents outside Taco Bell collecting fines!!!!  :roflsmiley:  :scared:  :smilielol:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007 - 11:15:54 PM »
Worse than that.  The FDA is banning the use of CFCs in Albuterol asthma inhalers, because an (apparently far less useful) substitute is now available, so the "essential use" exemption has been eliminated.

The FDA site of course doesn't discuss any of the shortcomings, but a lot of people who depend on the inhalers and are getting shafted by the replacement are trying to fight back.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/mdi/mdifaqs.htmk (FDA link)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/300594068 Petition site to try and stop this; so far it seems unlikely that the party in power is willing to buck the 'CFCs are unconditional evil' environmental wing of their party though.

Maybe when some people die from less effective rescue inhalers some bureaucrat or politician might care a little.  But until then those little puffs of CFCs will no longer be 'hurting the ozone layer' so for now they're happy.

Disclaimer: I don't have asthma; I was informed about this by family members and friends that do, and are already having trouble getting the cfc inhalers, and spending a _lot_ more to get the less effective ones.

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007 - 05:40:58 AM »
All I have to say is... $50.00 hammer.

Cuda Guy
WEll your wrong on the price of that $50.00 hammer,,  heres how it works,,, person #1 calls for estimate, bills 1 hour to it, Person #2 writes rrequisition for said hammer, bills 1 hour to it, Person #3 approves requisition, bills 1 hour to it, Person #4 writes purchase order for hammer, bills 1 hour to it and sends purchase order back to person 31 to place order who in turn bills 1 hour to it.Taking the average employees hourly rate of lets say $27.50 per hour at 5 hours gives you a total of $137.50 in handling plus the initial cost of $25.00 for said hammer. Your average government hammer will cost us taxpayers $162.50
Working for a local government, I can attest to the truth in it,, seen it, done it, nothing you can do to stop it :poopoke:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007 - 08:28:05 PM »
WEll your wrong on the price of that $50.00 hammer,,  heres how it works,,, person #1 calls for estimate, bills 1 hour to it, Person #2 writes rrequisition for said hammer, bills 1 hour to it, Person #3 approves requisition, bills 1 hour to it, Person #4 writes purchase order for hammer, bills 1 hour to it and sends purchase order back to person 31 to place order who in turn bills 1 hour to it.Taking the average employees hourly rate of lets say $27.50 per hour at 5 hours gives you a total of $137.50 in handling plus the initial cost of $25.00 for said hammer. Your average government hammer will cost us taxpayers $162.50

You have it somewhat wrong.  First, a study is conducted and lengthy specification is written for the government-spec hammer.  This spec will not coincide with any available hammer on the market, so suppliers are contacted to produce this special hammer.  Two years later, Person #2 takes over (from your scenario).  Meanwhile (and unbeknownst to Person #2) the people who actually use the hammers got tired of waiting for them and went out and bought their own hammers on a government credit card, then stopped at a local strip club on the way home and charged their beers and lap dances to the same government credit card.  Total cost: $700 per hammer.  Nancy Pelosi and Dick Durbin announce new taxes on the rich and middle class because we're not paying our fair share.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007 - 05:50:34 AM »
 :roflsmiley:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007 - 08:12:12 AM »
 :smilielol:  You guys are too much!  :2thumbs:

Offline djdmotorsports

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007 - 08:24:51 AM »
I kid you not when i went to Delphi a couple weeks ago for my last college feild trip (i am done as of 10:40 friday morning with my collegate career) we saw lawn mowers in the EPA testing chambers doing dyno runs! it was hilarious, one bay had a Daewoo 4 banger and the other had the lawn mower, and the poor guy who ran that area just kept talking about the good ole days running 454's non stop for months at a time.

On a different feild trip about a year ago to a motor builder here in Rochester, we got to see them prototyping the EVAP systems  on the lawn mower enginges. My guess is if they are already at delphi undergoing testing they are moving things along pretty quickly.
1966 Plymouth Valiant V200
1973 Plymouth Barraucda

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007 - 11:27:49 AM »
Good God, whats next, a flatulence muffler screwed into the hind ends of our livestock??

Why must we, as Americans capitulate with strict regulations, when other countries are not forced to do the same?? We are legislating ourselves out of existance. And why is a Government entity, that is not accountable to the citizenship, making rules that affect our daily lives?? If you are upset about these rulings, contact your legislators and let your feelings be known! Get active in politics and you can potentialy affect a change for the positive.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007 - 12:40:45 PM by 71GTX »
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!