Author Topic: 440: Am I OK to use these pushrods??  (Read 818 times)

Offline NotaHemi

440: Am I OK to use these pushrods??
« on: April 19, 2007 - 12:24:35 PM »
Guys..

I am trying to get the rest of the 440 buttoned up on Saturday. The engine builder will be over to get it done.
We ran into delays due to a damaged rear main seal from FelPro (had to order a replacement-so that shut us down that day) and then a damaged FelPro 17059 Head gasket the 2nd time (had to order a replacement again so that shut us down that time).

I have everything pretty much ready and measured for the pushrods yesterday so I could get them ordered in time for round three and completion on saturday.

Anyway..ran into delays on the pushrods..Smith bros couldn't get them out to me on time..
I got a set locally (which was the only way I can guarantee we can have them in time for sat morning.

They are the correct length and are 5/16ths steel, ball/ball and are .083 wall thickness good to 650lbs open spring pressure (I'm at 340lbs).

I have installed Comp Cams retrofit hydraulic roller lifters and roller Cam and have the pro magnum steel adjustable roller rockers.

HOWEVER.. they have the oiling passages going up through them.

I don't NEED oil through the pushrods so technically I should have a solid pushrod, but these are what I could get locally to hit my time deadline for saturdays engine build.

Two different engine guys said that that was no problem and that it may be added insurance. One said that those lifters probably had a hole in for pushrod oiling anywayanyway.
I do have the 7 qt milodon pan and melling HV oil pump so the extra oiling shouldn't tax the system.

Am I OK to go with these pushrods?

Thanks,
Elmo
 :feedback:

nivvy

Re: 440: Am I OK to use these pushrods??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007 - 12:44:28 PM »
I just installed 3/8 pushrods... Im not sure about trusting the 5/16 .... im sure chyrco will tune in on this....

Offline NotaHemi

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007 - 01:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply...
3/8ths would be stronger for sure but not needed IMHO. The 5/16ths with the 0.083 wall thickness are more than adequate and I don't have to worry about them binding on the cylinder heads (Edelbrock Performer RPM's). I am only at 550-575HP projected. Now you may be way higher than that.

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007 - 01:40:14 PM »
550-575 is some nice HP ...   :burnout:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007 - 12:03:43 AM »
No Problem , I use the hollow pushrods all the time , I am using a simialr pushrod 5/16 in a roller cam engine

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline NotaHemi

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007 - 06:57:55 AM »
Thanks