Author Topic: Carbs driving me crazy!!!  (Read 1828 times)

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
Carbs driving me crazy!!!
« on: April 23, 2007 - 06:33:44 PM »
Here's the issues I am having with my 440 sixpack carbs :swear:. Center carb is dumping gas down the butterflies and coming out the vent tube at a pretty good rate.  Carbs were re-built like 1 1/2 years ago. I've replaced all 3 needle and seat valves within the last couple weeks, float levels seem to be fine.Today I  pulled off the hemi fuel pump and installed a high-performance fuel pump, thinking that the hemi fuel pump was putting out too much psi ( which it probably was ).  This new pump was supposed to run a lower psi, about 6 or so. Still have the same d*** problem. My last option is to install a fuel pressure regulator, which I intend to do the next couple days. I don't know what to do if that doesn't work. The first couple years I had the car I didn't have any of these issues, now I'm spending more time working on it than enjoying  driving it. Plus, these problems that I'm having come and go - no rhyme or reason to it. These days I'm to the point where I don't want to even take the car out for a spin, because I don't know if I'm going to have a problem with the carbs. I'm hoping that someone out there can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Carbs driving me crazy!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007 - 05:22:06 PM »
Here's the issues I am having with my 440 sixpack carbs :swear:. Center carb is dumping gas down the butterflies and coming out the vent tube at a pretty good rate.  Carbs were re-built like 1 1/2 years ago. I've replaced all 3 needle and seat valves within the last couple weeks, float levels seem to be fine.Today I  pulled off the hemi fuel pump and installed a high-performance fuel pump, thinking that the hemi fuel pump was putting out too much psi ( which it probably was ).  This new pump was supposed to run a lower psi, about 6 or so. Still have the same d*** problem. My last option is to install a fuel pressure regulator, which I intend to do the next couple days. I don't know what to do if that doesn't work. The first couple years I had the car I didn't have any of these issues, now I'm spending more time working on it than enjoying  driving it. Plus, these problems that I'm having come and go - no rhyme or reason to it. These days I'm to the point where I don't want to even take the car out for a spin, because I don't know if I'm going to have a problem with the carbs. I'm hoping that someone out there can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Sounds like the needle seat has some trash in it where the two meet to seal it up.  Or the float is way too high. If the carb hasn't been opened up or had any adjustments done, my money is on the trash in the needle and seat.  Easy fix.  Just remove the float bowl from the center carb and then remove the needle and seat and gently clean the mating surfaces and reassemble.  Make sure you set the float level correctly upon reassembly. That should fix you up.  Let us know.....    :bigsmile:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 70RTdroptop

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the hint - tried just about everything else, can't hurt to give this a shot. Will keep you posted.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007 - 12:47:48 AM »
if you have the 30 year old vapor seperator on the car still , it may be dumping debris into the needle & seat , ttry changing that out & cleaning the needle & seat out as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 - 01:07:54 AM »
I've got a great idea....give ME your six pack set up and I'll fix it right up. Of course it would stay on my Cuda afterwords, but it would be fixed.  :grinyes:
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007 - 11:49:33 PM »
and don't forget to change you gas deluted motor oil.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 70RTdroptop

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007 - 06:36:14 AM »
Well, today's the day for working on this problem again.  Pressure regulator will be installed, oil will be changed ( 2nd time in 10 days :swear: ), needle / seats removed and cleaned, float levels re-checked. We'll see what happens.

I've got a great idea....give ME your six pack set up and I'll fix it right up. Of course it would stay on my Cuda afterwords, but it would be fixed.  :grinyes:

bearcuda - Tempting offer, but I think I'll work on this little problem a bit longer...

CP - thanks for that tip - not sure if this applies, but I'll check into it

Thanks again for all the helpful hints. I am cautiously optimistic about getting this problem fixed up today.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007 - 09:58:13 AM »
Wisconsin is a bit far to drive today , but I will be west of Detroit in a bout 2 weeks 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 70RTdroptop

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007 - 12:13:30 PM »
One last thing to try - fuel filter ( the stock type ) might be letting in larger particles that are messing up my needle / seat valve. I'm going to try a filter that will catch some of the finer junk, possibly even go to a pre-filter between the gas tank and the fuel pump, and then another fuel filter in the usual location. Local car show / swap meet this weekend, think I'll go on Sunday to see if anybody's got what I need. Did adjust the floats a little better this morning, cleaned out all needles and seats, car started right up and ran perfect, at least in the garage - didn't have time for a run around the block.
Looks like the big problem has been crap in the fuel line / tank interfering with the needle / seat valve, though.  I think I'll have a pretty definitive answer in the next few days, though.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007 - 05:09:37 PM »
With a six-pack car you have to have the fuel side dialed in. It will only be as good as the weakest link.
That's why after dinking around with it for a year   :working:   I decided to resolve it all at one time:
New:
Gas tank
sending unit
fuel/vapor lines (3 since it's a Ca. Car)
fuel filter
fuel canister
fuel pump
expertly rebuilt/tuned carbs (ace fuel systems in Santa Clara)
And now it's time to go for a drive :burnout:

Good Luck  :2thumbs:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007 - 06:28:00 PM »
Dumb question.. Any crap settled in the bottom of the gas tank??  :dunno:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007 - 02:47:48 AM »
He must still be out driving.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline 70RTdroptop

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007 - 09:20:57 PM »
Actually I was . Things are looking better. re-set the floats the other day, put in a new fuel filter, looks like tomorrow I'm going to have another filter
( large canister type ) installed between the tank and the fuel pump. I'd just as soon have that extra filter there to catch any miscellaneous particles floating around in the tank. Driven the car twice the last few days, ran perfect. I am seriously thinking about replacing the fuel tank, though, when I've got a little more money. Frankly, what's left to do? Done pretty much else to the fuel system , tank's about the only thing left. And yeah, there's probably crap in the tank, looks like all the dust from down Missouri where I picked up the car in March 2004. We'll see. Got high hopes, though.