Author Topic: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI (UPDATE, 528ci)  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI (UPDATE, 528ci)
« on: April 24, 2007 - 05:43:24 AM »

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who has helped me and given input in the discussion of what crate engine I should pick for my 71 'Cuda. After a very lengthy discussion with my parents and my restoration team, I have decided to go for the a warm 550hp max Tim Banning built 426ci Hemi. There are a few big reason why I have decided this. I will get Tim to eliminate as best as he can the lack of low down grunt the 426 is "said" to have and get it to be a real performer for a 100% street car.

Doing many a search on this forum and other Mopar related discussion boards, the 426 is the engine for me. While a 528ci is nice with 150+hp more that in itself, to me, is a draw back for what I am wanting with my car. If I went 528ci a lot more body stiffening would have to be done, perhaps a mini tub, aftermarket seats for better driver control etc. With aftermarket seats I would have to then change the interior to suit as in my opinion, you can't just change the seats and leave the rest stock, looks cheap and not thought out properly, it's either stock, restified (hidden) or custom.

From day one, I wanted this car to be an everyday driving fun car and with 528ci 750hp engine, IMO, that is overkill for what I am wanting and for what is good street-able & enjoyable horsepower. If I had one Mopar that I drove once a week or every couple of weeks a 528ci 750hp car would be perhaps the way to go. I want to be able to hop in this car and give it death without worrying too much about where and when throttle is applied. Another huge topic for me was the transmission. This 'Cuda MUST be a 5-Speed manual, no auto (something Chryco & Keith will appreciate). With a 426 (500-550hp) Hemi I can get out and enjoy it more and not worry "as" much about the car snapping out. 550hp IMO is about max for a real street driven car. As mentioned, no tubs or no aftermarket seats and stuff just a stock looking but modern handling car built to corner.

I will build it to be a replica with hidden modern touches like electronics that won't be seen. It will at this stage look 100% stock, bar the 275/295 wheels and a few other minor details. It's a car I want to be able to go out and enjoy, not brag about, a real drivers car. I'm thinking about getting the XV level two kit for more control and fun. I already have the XV stiffening kit (sub-frames etc). I just can't see the point in spending this money and time building a car I can't fully enjoy on a daily basis. Sure, sitting at a pub saying "528ci this and that is cool" but when all is said and done and I have to drive the car giving it the odd throttle squirt for me is a waste. I'd rather drive around WOT more in a 426ci.

Just thought I'd let you know my decision. Yes 528 is "big, bad, go big or go home etc" but you have to realise where I am coming from. It's all good to sit there and post a comment like that but if you were in my shoes and wanting a driving car that you could slam down at WOT and not worry about "if" it'll bite and send you into the afterlife then I'm sure many would take the same option.

Last but not least. After this 426 Hemi clone is complete I will be doing the 73 'Cuda into a custom. This will be a long way down the track but it will be a full on straight line car with either a 340ci 700hp+ engine or a 528ci itself with over 800hp+ Perhaps close to the 1000hp+ mark. Automatic, caged, mini tubbed, just a pure bad ass street car I can take out every week or so and have a blast with.

At the end of the day it will still be a 1971 Triple Black 426 HEMI 'Cuda. :clapping:

Cheers,
Carl
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007 - 01:40:54 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007 - 05:57:44 AM »
 :2thumbs:  Great decition, now onword and upword to seeing this new BEAST take shape!   :clapping: :clapping:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 - 06:02:11 AM »
 It's all about doing what will be best for you. I'm sure it will turn out geat!

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007 - 06:49:13 AM »
 :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline mopar_guy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007 - 06:57:33 AM »
Im glad you came to a decison,That car is going to be bad a$$.triple black is just awesome!i'll be following this cars resto closely.good luck carl  :thumbsup:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:27:08 AM »
good to hear NZ.  :thumbsup:  Keep us posted.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:42:17 AM »

Thanks guys, I am happy with the decision. 1971 is a wild looking car in stock form. Adding roll bars and mini-tubs kind of takes a little away from the car in my personal opinion. The stock aggressive looks speak for themselves. I will keep you posted on what happens but as far as build updates there will be none for this car. :grinno: I'll be documenting it of course and putting it on my website but the next time you see the car it will be complete.

:cheers:

Offline Mr. 440SixPack

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007 - 08:42:20 AM »
Sounds great man!  :2thumbs: 426 hemi is more cool for me than 528 hemi.
My dream: 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 440+6 Pack/4 speed Pistol Grip/Dana 60 rearend/PS, PB/Lime Light/Shaker hood/Rallye dash...

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007 - 08:50:29 AM »
 :woo:  Can't wait to see this!!!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007 - 08:52:40 AM »

You made the right decision, Carl. I'd make the same choice if I were in your shoes. Anyone can build a 750+ hp dragster all day long, but it takes careful planning to make a factory-looking stealth car. Like everybody, I will be following the restoration progress!  :2thumbs:
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007 - 10:10:19 AM »
Just remember, the more motor the less streetable. I've had both. The 426 crate motor that I installed in my 70 Challenger last year is awesome. It starts right up, runs on pump gas and is fast as hell. I love the way that low compression motor sits and idles so smoothly. I won't have to worry about fouling plugs like the old style 426 that I owned way back when. And, I get over 12 mpg. Never got that before with a hemi. I always got around 7 or 8 at best.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007 - 11:56:16 AM »
Right on man!! :2thumbs: I just ordered my block from Ray Barton this morning. I am going with the bigger cubes but still going to keep it on pump gas and stock "appearing" I went with the aluminum block. Its not a whole lot more than the iron blocks these days and you save a ton of weight.

good luck with yours keep us posted.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007 - 12:45:20 PM »
I haven't been on here as much lately, did you find a car???   I know you were looking for one.   I can't argue with your choice on motor at all.   I have a 5 speed and 460 horse small block in this which makes for a very nice driving car.   It doesn't have the hemi WOW factor, but simple economics dictated it on this car to get it on the road.

I was always thinking I would put a hemi in it down the road, but picked up something pretty cool this weekend that might get a hemi instead!!   Its an awesome starting point, rock solid 35k mile 440 sixpack roller.   Building a nice correct 440 sixpack will cost a good portion of what hemi would.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007 - 12:51:52 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the choice. I'll talk to Tim from FHO about the costs of a 426 aluminum block, I'm not even sure if they build them or not? Yupe, you save around 172lbs going aluminum over cast. I think the blocks are lighter than a small block chev, that's got to be good. For me it's what I consider the perfect street driven combo. My Keisler is rated at 650hp and the engine will be 550hp at which I can use more of that hp more often and almost always on the street.

What I don't want, is to be restricted to where and when I can nail it. I saw on some "other" Mopar forum, a guy with a 528ci with around 750hp making a post about how he floored it the other day and what a rush it was. That's all good and all but if he wrote a post about one of the times he floored it, that right there (for that driver anyhow) is proof it's too much for street enjoyable use. He obviously doesn't get "into" the go pedal much if the highlight of his week was a 10 second WOT ride. That is not what I want. I have to keep telling myself that 500-550hp aint nothing to snicker about LOL. It will be a completely stock locking 426 Hemi Clone once done. I'll be getting a custom fender tag reading something like: [ 1971 Hemi 'Cuda Clone ] with nothing else on the fender tag, maybe make my own options up like a new code for the Keisler etc. The car was and will be (like Lucy) built to drive, not a trophy/bragging car that collects dust. ;)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 - 12:54:11 PM by NZ440R/T »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007 - 12:59:09 PM »
I haven't been on here as much lately, did you find a car???   I know you were looking for one.   I can't argue with your choice on motor at all.   I have a 5 speed and 460 horse small block in this which makes for a very nice driving car.   It doesn't have the hemi WOW factor, but simple economics dictated it on this car to get it on the road.

I was always thinking I would put a hemi in it down the road, but picked up something pretty cool this weekend that might get a hemi instead!!   Its an awesome starting point, rock solid 35k mile 440 sixpack roller.   Building a nice correct 440 sixpack will cost a good portion of what hemi would.

Thanks mate. A 460ci SB is something to be proud of. A lot of guys would pick that over a big block, a lot.
I have a 340ci with some NOS 308 heads that I may consider doing up for the 73 WAY down the road with a 4-Speed or a 528 with an auto....but, from what the 73 was like before tear down with the 340 it was an awesome engine (around 370hp). One of the crispest sound engines I've driven and heard.

To answer your question, nope, I haven't got a car yet. But I've got a few leads and had a few possibles that didn't work out. I'm getting some photos through today of a very likely car. Has the original shaker hood, perfect gilled fenders, new 1/4's, 9/10 grille and it's a rolling chassis with strong/straight frame rails. Fingers crossed.

BTW, that 'Cuda is bloody sexy as, is that yours?! :eek7:
Nice looking 70 Bee as well mate, very classy.