I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI (UPDATE, 528ci)

Author Topic: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI (UPDATE, 528ci)  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007 - 03:31:39 PM »
Maybe this has been asked, but I gotta ask.  How are you financing these projects?

If it's none of my business, just say so.

Curious

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007 - 04:21:15 PM »
Man oh man NZ, I am truly jealous!  You are going to have one heck of a collection!!!!!!!  Nothing is better than a triple black '71 Hemi Cuda in my book!  Clone or not! 

One question, why won't you be posting any updates?  I live for that stuff, especially when the updates are of a '71 Triple black Hemi Cuda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:08:06 PM »
Maybe this has been asked, but I gotta ask.  How are you financing these projects?

If it's none of my business, just say so.

Curious

MYOB. :lol:
Trust found baby? Mums boy? Mafia? Lottery? Lucky SOB? Legal? Not Legal?

It's only 1 car. Lucy took around 3-1/2 years to complete and this will be close to that too. So it's not like I'm buying all these parts and completing the resto in 3-4 months dumping big cash. I only have 2 cars and I may do (depending on my money situation and life) the 73 waaaay down the road. More than likely but that is years away. Not to be rude but it's not the kind of question I would ask someone and I haven't seen it asked of any other members either. All good though.

:cheers:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:11:17 PM »
Wow carl, i'm gone for a few weeks and I missed everything. Are you transforming your 73 into a 71 hemi cuda, or did you pick up a 71 too?  Either way, its gonna be a HEMI.   :droolingbounce:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:13:07 PM »
Man oh man NZ, I am truly jealous!  You are going to have one heck of a collection!!!!!!!  Nothing is better than a triple black '71 Hemi Cuda in my book!  Clone or not! 

One question, why won't you be posting any updates?  I live for that stuff, especially when the updates are of a '71 Triple black Hemi Cuda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Thanks April, too kind. Yupe, the 73 was nice and no offense to anyone with the later year 'Cudas but for me the 71 is what my heart was wanting. Although, I honestly believe all year Cudas are awesome. No other colour was in my mind, the 73 was going to be black and the 71 could be no other colour for me. Class and sinister in one package.

I may do an update once every 4-5 months but I'd prefer it to be a "surprise" of sorts and just let you see the car in all it's glory with scenic shots once it's complete. For anyone who cares my www.nz440rt.com site will be updated with where I'm at. No doubt I'll have questions regarding thins like gills and grille pieces so you'll know where we're at with the build with threads and topics like that. Lots of time to go and my poor pockets. Oh well, you live once!!

Offline willhaven

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:16:22 PM »
I also want to build a black 71 Hemi car and probably over the same period of time (maybe a bit sooner).

We can race. :bigsmile:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:16:58 PM »
Wow carl, i'm gone for a few weeks and I missed everything. Are you transforming your 73 into a 71 hemi cuda, or did you pick up a 71 too?  Either way, its gonna be a HEMI.   :droolingbounce:

Hey Dave. :wave: Yupe, you've been slack lately. :icon16:

Nope, the 73 will go into a storage facility with the 340 and parts for some time.
I will buy a 71 Barracuda/Cuda rolling chassis or driving car (only non-#'s) hopefully in /6 or 318 form.

I've found some good ones but nothing that has been "the" one. I'm not in any rush and I'm 100% confident we'll have a solid project base in our hands within the next 3-4 months, guaranteed.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:19:13 PM »
I also want to build a black 71 Hemi car and probably over the same period of time (maybe a bit sooner).

We can race. :bigsmile:

Sounds like a plan mate!! I'll win.  :grinyes:

I'm already 16 hours a head of you.  :crazy:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:20:24 PM »
By the way, how much did it cost you to have your 73 dipped and sealed?

Was it also e-coated, or was it sprayed after being dipped?

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:25:41 PM »
Sounds like a change of plans! But man its gonna be sweet when done! Now I have to stick around this site for at least 3 more years.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:28:35 PM »
By the way, how much did it cost you to have your 73 dipped and sealed?

Was it also e-coated, or was it sprayed after being dipped?

Not 100% sure sorry. I know it was done properly, my resto team wouldn't have taken it any other way.
I believe it was just dipped, sealed and given some special coating to stop rust until metal work begins.

Cost was $1,800 NZD I think, so around $1,350 USD but you just read it as $1,800. It's awesome and the 71 will get the same treatment. Some like it, some don't but if it's done buy professionals who know what they're doing and sealed properly it's what we think is the best route to go. Quick, fast, and every mm of rust is gone, not one pin sized rust spot left. Took one week, went Monday, came back the following Monday ready to roll. Then I put the project on hold LOL.

Some got scared off when it was first used some 15 years ago as they didn't seal the cars properly back then, the process has been fine tuned now and is one of the best ways to do it. Though, there are still some bad shops out there who don't seal it or leave the cars in the bath for too long etc. If you do it, make sure you do your home work on the company doing the dipping.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007 - 07:30:25 PM »
Sounds like a change of plans! But man its gonna be sweet when done! Now I have to stick around this site for at least 3 more years.   :crazy:

You better. :nono: :biggrin:

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007 - 08:24:13 PM »
426 ...   NZ  glad to see you following your heart.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline willhaven

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007 - 08:42:55 PM »
That's not a bad price really. I expected something retarded like 4-5k. It seems like a good way to get the car rust free quickly and a good investment if you plan to keep and drive the car for a long period of time.

A couple years ago when I was really into Chargers, the guys on that site did some dipping and e-coating and since then I've planned to do both to my car whenever I get one and restore it. I just never knew a ballpark of how much it cost to get it done.

I'm still just looking for a good solid driver that I can enjoy as-is until I get the parts and motor I want. Then I have to grow the balls and get the money required to restore it. Part of me can't wait to get started and part of me is thinking about how much money I'm going to be missing when I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007 - 09:29:15 PM »

I hear you mate, these prices (especially 71 Cudas) as you know, are outrageous. Though they can only go buy what the market is doing. You'll hardly get a $100 grille for a car that sells over $100K, clone or not. :-[ Oh well, I'm not in the hobby for quick resale, built to drive when ever in any condition, built to last and built to enjoy.

I know of a 71 project car in 3 Rivers, California that may interest you. A few photos below and I have more. Rolling chassis needs trunk pan, rear 1/4's and fenders, no grille. Comes with clear title and has straight solid frame rails. The owner is asking for $9K although I think you could bargain him around to $8K. It's a good buy but I'm wanting a solid base for my project. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case you (or anyone) else maybe interested.