Author Topic: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI (UPDATE, 528ci)  (Read 7307 times)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: I'm Going The Legend - 426 HEMI
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007 - 10:06:37 PM »
Carl, nice choice on going with the 426. :thumbsup: :grinyes:  I remember your initial thought was to go with a 426 that was mildly built, but the next thing I saw you were thinking major HP and the larger of the two.  That '71 you posted from CA really doesn't look too bad, but it's crazy to think a stripped down car like that can still bring close to $10,000 in today's muscle car market. :sly:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007 - 10:09:52 PM »

Thanks SC73, yeah it is crazy aint it. :screwy:
I've seen similar for $25K but with most of the interior except grille etc.  :faint:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline willhaven

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007 - 11:09:58 PM »
Personally I'm looking for an already restored (or non restored rust free) driver quality car that's running. I don't want to get a project as my first car to have it sitting in my garage in an inoperable state waiting for me to finish it. I could see myself losing motivation in a situation like that. Thanks for the heads up though.

If I get something that runs and drives it will keep me motivated to upgrade, get parts and save for restoration/customization. Even if I get a car that drives and I restore it, I'd probably get another driver car when I restore the first so I will always have something I can tinker with and drive around in at all times.

It may not make the most sense from an investment point of view to take a recently restored car back down to metal to dip, e-coat, redo the prep work and invest in a new paint job... but I'll cross that bridge when I reach it. If I don't decide to restore, hopefully the car I get will be nice enough to enjoy as-is without worrying too much about rust or paint bubbles making the car hideous to look at. If I do decide to restore the car the way I want it, I should have a very solid platform to build off of I guess. :dunno:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007 - 11:27:22 PM »

Yeah I agree with you. That's where I don't want to spend "too" much as I'll end up still needing to replace 1/4's, fenders, trunk pan once we've stripped it. I could buy a $10K car needing new fenders, 1/4s, grille and Shaker hood pieces, say a $10-12K total. It would still be worse to buy a $25K project car with grille and fenders etc but then still need to turn around and either, A) spend a lot of time and money restoring the fenders and parts or, B) Having to go out and buy the fenders, grille etc, etc, anyhow, therefore basically "wasting" $15K.

It's a tough call to find the perfect car but I've got time, as have we all. If you go out and force a car upon yourself that's where things get ugly and expensive. My problem is no matter what Mopar I get (bar a concourse quailty job BJ type car) I'd always strip it right down to bear steel and re-do it. I just like to know for peace of mind that the car and everything that goes on/in it is up to my standards. Also, I get to see and know what was used and how it was done.

If I find something in my searchers that I think you may like I'll let you know. :cheers:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007 - 11:30:05 PM »
Thanks! The link in my signature says it all. :)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007 - 11:33:55 PM »

Roger that!  :thumbsup:

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007 - 04:28:14 AM »
Very Smart Decision; your description in your opening statement was the SAME info I gave to Speedomotive for the 540 Aluminum Hemi I had built

Unfortunately, I am finding out from Custom-MuscleCars.com resto shop that my Hemi is not as streetable as Speedo led me to believe when they were building the motor

I specifically stated that this is a Power Car: A/C, power disc brakes, and was a Touring Hemi for the Power Tour, that I could get in and drive everyday without Daily maintenance or fears

Yes, Alterktion front rack & pinion coilover suspension, subframes, Moser 60, Ridetech air bags in rear, GVO, etc etc make the car "New" & Safe

The car should be completed in maybe 3 weeks.  The Power Tour will quite the test to prove it's "Sea-legs" or "Rubber Shoes"
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007 - 04:37:35 AM »
Thanks mate. A 460ci SB is something to be proud of. A lot of guys would pick that over a big block, a lot.
I have a 340ci with some NOS 308 heads that I may consider doing up for the 73 WAY down the road with a 4-Speed or a 528 with an auto....but, from what the 73 was like before tear down with the 340 it was an awesome engine (around 370hp). One of the crispest sound engines I've driven and heard.

To answer your question, nope, I haven't got a car yet. But I've got a few leads and had a few possibles that didn't work out. I'm getting some photos through today of a very likely car. Has the original shaker hood, perfect gilled fenders, new 1/4's, 9/10 grille and it's a rolling chassis with strong/straight frame rails. Fingers crossed.

BTW, that 'Cuda is bloody sexy as, is that yours?! :eek7:
Nice looking 70 Bee as well mate, very classy.

:cheers:

Yeah, the black Cuda is mine.   That was an awesome find a little over 3 years ago.   It is a real tx9 white billboard 340 car.   Has an awesome body and exterior paint when I bought it.    Mechanically it was awful when I got it.   It was nice as I didn't have to do a "full" restoration as I didn't have to repaint the outside.   I pulled it apart, we reshot underhood, the bottom of the car and in the trunk.    Redid all mechanicals, added a b body dana, disc brakes, power steering, shaker hood, rally dash, rimblow, leather interior, 5 speed, vinyl top, OEM louvers, wing and replaced/restored all trim.   Sounds like a real money pit, but it really isn't.   Did all the labor myself aside from the actual paint spraying and just looked for deals when they presented themselves.   The Keisler 5 speed I picked up used for 1900, the 456 horse dyno time only motor was 3500 from intake to pan.  

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007 - 05:55:14 AM »
NICE CAR !!!!!    VERY NICE CAR!!!!!    :grinyes:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Triple Black hemi

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:39:08 AM »
NZ440R/T

Can't wait to see your project come to life.  You have a great vision of a really killer 71 cuda.  Keep us posted on the progress.  :thumbsup:

Offline back n black

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007 - 12:24:37 PM »
 :droolingbounce:

Going to be pretty sweet.  :droolingbounce: :cooldancing: :ylsuper: I like everything about this build.  Good choices!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:03:01 PM »
Very Smart Decision; your description in your opening statement was the SAME info I gave to Speedomotive for the 540 Aluminum Hemi I had built

Unfortunately, I am finding out from Custom-MuscleCars.com resto shop that my Hemi is not as streetable as Speedo led me to believe when they were building the motor

I specifically stated that this is a Power Car: A/C, power disc brakes, and was a Touring Hemi for the Power Tour, that I could get in and drive everyday without Daily maintenance or fears

Yes, Alterktion front rack & pinion coilover suspension, subframes, Moser 60, Ridetech air bags in rear, GVO, etc etc make the car "New" & Safe

The car should be completed in maybe 3 weeks.  The Power Tour will quite the test to prove it's "Sea-legs" or "Rubber Shoes"

Thanks cudabuyer for the info and opinion behind how you feel with yourself having one. I have nothing (obviously) against anyone with a 528ci or bigger, they're an awesome engine, no doubt. I guess what I'm trying to say and have been trying to get out, is, for a street driven car, I see it as almost a "Waste" as I wouldn't be able to use it to it's full potential on the street. That, for a daily driven fun street car is not what I want. I want to be able to "thrash" it, well, not cane it to death but get out and use all the 500-550hp to it's fullest without having to ease off or not use it to it's full potential. I'm glad and think I made the right decision for my wants and build.

Keep us posted mate, I'll be watching your updates and progress reports.  :cheers:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:07:19 PM »
Yeah, the black Cuda is mine.   That was an awesome find a little over 3 years ago.   It is a real tx9 white billboard 340 car.   Has an awesome body and exterior paint when I bought it.    Mechanically it was awful when I got it.   It was nice as I didn't have to do a "full" restoration as I didn't have to repaint the outside.   I pulled it apart, we reshot underhood, the bottom of the car and in the trunk.    Redid all mechanicals, added a b body dana, disc brakes, power steering, shaker hood, rally dash, rimblow, leather interior, 5 speed, vinyl top, OEM louvers, wing and replaced/restored all trim.   Sounds like a real money pit, but it really isn't.   Did all the labor myself aside from the actual paint spraying and just looked for deals when they presented themselves.   The Keisler 5 speed I picked up used for 1900, the 456 horse dyno time only motor was 3500 from intake to pan.  

HELL YES!!! That car is awesome and is very similar to what mine will look like except I'll have 275/295 cop rims out back and 235/245's up front with the HEMI billboard decals. I'll also have no louvers and possibly 35% tints all round to give it a evil icing on the cake. :naughty: But from what I can see, everything else the same, triple black, black shaker bubble, go wing etc etc. VERY, very nice car!

Do you have a website or more photos of the car once complete? I'd like to look and drool for a while as I know in the next few years I myself will have something very similar. Perhaps start a new thread in the E-Body Photos section with photos of it?

Thanks mate,
Carl

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:15:26 PM »
NZ440R/T

Can't wait to see your project come to life.  You have a great vision of a really killer 71 cuda.  Keep us posted on the progress.  :thumbsup:

Thanks TBH. Do you have a website also? I'd like to see more photos of your car if possible, you could even email them to me? What are the center cap pieces in the photo above? I was told by Pete (360cuda) that some people use the rallye wheel center caps on the cop rims, looks cool and stock racer style, like yours.

Cheers,
Carl

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:42:52 PM »
Congrats on your decision.  Very good logic behind your choice.  You'll bee building one of my all time favorite rides.  :2thumbs:

Hi-jack taking place.  n9671x2, is this the car you bought?  He didn't get back to me on whether it was a Dana car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180106655760&rd=1&rd=1

n9671x2 & Triple Black hemi...those are a couple of gorgeous machines.  :drool:
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!