Author Topic: Steering box wear  (Read 2566 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Steering box wear
« on: April 24, 2007 - 07:59:06 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place, if its wrong someone can move it.  I find that I have quite a bit of play in my steering box.  Can I adjust this?  If I have my hand at 12:00, it will go to about 2 before I get a decent response.  I have checked all the ball joints, and I know its the box.   :1zhelp:

Offline TrakHor

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Steering box wear
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007 - 06:45:00 AM »
Have someone turn the wheel & watch where the play is..maybe a steering coupler rebuild is all you need.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007 - 07:26:49 AM »
Have someone turn the wheel & watch where the play is..maybe a steering coupler rebuild is all you need.

Yep, I did it myslef with the hood open, just grabbed the shaft.  The coupler is good.

Thanks Trak Hor, I mustve missed that thread.   :2thumbs:

Edit:  One thing Trak Hor, in step 3 you say to "tighten the bolt"  What bolt? 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007 - 07:29:08 AM by 71bigblock »

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 - 11:07:38 AM »
Bump, still wondering who has done this on a manual ebody box.  Never done it, so I need extremely detailed instructions for the lack of brain matter.   :lol:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007 - 12:17:47 PM »
You have to adjust the worm gear preload first, then the sector shaft. Disconnect the pitman arm before making adjustments. Loosen the sector shaft adjustment lock nut, loosen the set screw so the sector shaft has no affect on worm gear preload measurements. Loosen the big (!) locknut on the worm gear preload nut (if it's caked with dirt etc. clean the threaded areas up first, it will make adjusting easier later) Then using a spanner (similar to what you use to set the bearing preload on an 8 3/4 differential case bearings) to adjust the preload on the worm gear bearings. The range is 1 1/4 to 3 inch lbs rotating (continuous torque as the input shaft is spun. Once the preload is in range, tighten the locknut while holding the adjuster to maintain the setting. Then you want to adjust the sector shaft setscrew to bring the total to 8 1/4 - 11 1/4 inch lbs of rotating torque required as the box moves through the center position. I'll see if I can find some pics to illustrate the procedure....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007 - 12:32:55 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007 - 07:11:32 AM »
You have to adjust the worm gear preload first, then the sector shaft. Disconnect the pitman arm before making adjustments. Loosen the sector shaft adjustment lock nut, loosen the set screw so the sector shaft has no affect on worm gear preload measurements. Loosen the big (!) locknut on the worm gear preload nut (if it's caked with dirt etc. clean the threaded areas up first, it will make adjusting easier later) Then using a spanner (similar to what you use to set the bearing preload on an 8 3/4 differential case bearings) to adjust the preload on the worm gear bearings. The range is 1 1/4 to 3 inch lbs rotating (continuous torque as the input shaft is spun. Once the preload is in range, tighten the locknut while holding the adjuster to maintain the setting. Then you want to adjust the sector shaft setscrew to bring the total to 8 1/4 - 11 1/4 inch lbs of rotating torque required as the box moves through the center position. I'll see if I can find some pics to illustrate the procedure....

:faint: :wow:

Thanks!  I didnt expect that detailed, lol.  Pics would help tremedously.   :grinyes:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007 - 12:01:59 PM »
here you go....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007 - 12:35:28 PM »
 :wow:

Cant thank you enough, thanks!   :2thumbs:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007 - 02:53:45 PM »
No problem!