Author Topic: Carpet and Seatbelt installation on 70 Cuda  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Winston

Carpet and Seatbelt installation on 70 Cuda
« on: April 25, 2007 - 07:00:56 AM »
I am trying to get the carpet into my car now.  Apparently, the 70 is different than the others when installing the seatbelts.  They have a white plastic piece on each side that sits on the floor, under the carpet, and the front spring-loaded seatbelts go through them.  Is this correct?  I have the pieces, but I would like to see if anyone out there happened to take pictures when they got to this step.  The carpet is going in rather nicely, but I want to make sure the seatbelts go in correctly as well.  Any advice on how all this stuff goes together would be great. 

In fact, anyone who has pictures of their seatbelts in place would be great!

I have been surviving on the 70 Challenger manual, but this is one area where that won't help me.  Thanks!

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Re: Carpet and Seatbelt installation on 70 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007 - 05:40:29 PM »
I just put in my new carpet in on my '70 last weekend and the whole interior is already in. Too bad you didn't post a few days earlier and I could have taken pics. Anyway you're right about the plastic pieces and they only go in one way. I screwed the retractable seat belt into the floor first to get the exact position. There's allowances in the oblong hole for the cover's screw holes to show through. Be careful not to cut too much carpet away because the seat belt covers don't cover that much. Hopefully you still have the protective sheet metal for the wiring on the left side too.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Winston

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007 - 08:03:24 AM »
JayBee, would you mind posting a finished pic of your seat belts?  I want to see how they are supposed to look coming out of the carpet.  It's amazing the little things you actually use in a car that you do not pay attention to until you need to know how it goes.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007 - 05:14:52 PM »
This is the best I can do, using a trouble light in a tight garage.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Winston

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007 - 05:39:53 PM »
JayBee, I appreciate you taking the time to take these pictures.  They really helped me a whole lot.  I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience for you to get them for me.   Thanks very much!!  :2thumbs:

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007 - 03:18:48 PM »
Winston, you're welcome, it was no touble at all. Good luck with the job.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007 - 07:14:15 AM »
I'm searching for a pair of retractor covers for the seatbelts for a 1970 Challenger.
Anyone know of where I might find a set?

Thanks!

chuckv2@bellsouth.net