Author Topic: Frame mods  (Read 931 times)

Offline Cranker

Frame mods
« on: April 26, 2007 - 11:51:29 AM »
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have done, seen or know if this can be done. What i am looking to do is i want to remove the lip from the top of the front frame rails that the inner panels weld to. I will be running bars from the rollcage thru the firewall and down to the front of the frame rails. Do those lips offer some kind of structural support? if so can it be more then a rollcage tied to the frame? The reason i want them gone is that I just dont like the way they look. If i were to cut them off i was going to run a bead down the lenght of the rail where they were and then grind it smooth. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Crank
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline Todd DesMarais

Re: Frame mods
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007 - 10:13:58 PM »
 Are you leaving the inner fenders in the car and just removing the areas where the inner doesn't touch, or are the inner going bye-bye ??  Either way, I would think the triangulation of a cage is far more superior than the little bit those pinch welds could ever give.

If you look at the rails as just a boxed tube, the reason for the seams are evident. They (Mopar) needed access to the inside of the rails for blind nut attachment, i.e. k-frame and bumper bolt mounting. It was/is a LOT easier to stamp a complex shaped piece then box it up, than it would be to start with a boxed tube. the flanges are nothing more than a quick way to mate the two pieces by spot welding rather than mig. and they provided a convienient attachment point for the inners.

Cut 'em off, weld 'em up, smooth 'em out and have a happy.

Todd
74 'Cuda                       "There's a fine line
66 Belvedere II               between a hobby
66 Satellite                    and a mental illness"
05 Ram 3500 CTD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007 - 11:49:54 PM »
I Garee with Todd , the pinch will offer some extra stiffness , but the roll cage will offere better support , grind it off

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cranker

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007 - 06:32:45 AM »
Thanks Guys that is what i thought also but just want some extra opinions. They are as good as gone. There will be no original inner fenders left. i will make some panels later out of sheet aluminum to keep junk off the motor.

Thanks again guys.    :bigsmile:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007 - 11:58:20 AM »
The front rails are a U shaped section on the bottom, and a top flat piece that covers the opening. The flat that faces inside the engine bay is the seam where they get spot welded. If you remove the inner wells, you also have a flat where they were welded. To remove both, you'll have to make sure to weld the sections VERY well. Meaning full penetration and no thin spots left after. It is a high stress area regardless of cage or suspension type there. So thin spots may fracture after being flexed in racing and stuff.

Offline Cranker

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007 - 09:28:12 AM »
Thanks for the info! i need as much as i can get. :burnout: