Author Topic: Restore original or Repop?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Restore original or Repop?
« on: April 29, 2007 - 01:51:12 PM »
This question for me has come up a number of times on which parts I restore or have restored and which ones I am willing to in my opinion compromise on and purchase reproduction pieces. Most recently it has come up in the way of wheel well moulding. I have an original set and now need to decide if I have them restored or purchase the re-pops. I have found that on most of the pieces I have had restored a re-pop is the same or close to the same in $$$
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Restore original or Repop?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007 - 02:20:34 PM »
I have the re-pops. They look the same. i had to message/enlargen a couple of screw holes. No biggie.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007 - 05:25:43 PM »
I think alot of it comes down to time and money... Example... you have a small  rot hole in your battery tray.. you could blast it, weld it, repaint it. Or by a repop for $20.....  :clueless:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 - 05:37:22 PM »

Like most who have voted, I use as much of my original parts as possible and buy repro or NOS parts if the original part aren't up too scratch. I think to get the best results, using all original restored pieces won't get that.

You have to remember the factory wasn't perfect making these cars and some interior pieces certainly lacked quailty from the factory, I myself see no point in restoring a car to "that" standard. I'd rather use new parts to getting a better fit and finish. I'm not overly picky in terms of what parts are used as long as it's the best possible part out there for my car. If quailty lacks in the repro part I'd spend time restoring the original. Fenders for example, you could spend hours upon hours repairing & restoring an original fender and at the end of it not get the best results you could have. You can go out and buy repro fender, cut and weld it in and be done with better results.

Most of the repro stuff we've come across was utter rubbish. "Made" in America but sourced via Taiwan or China.
Some are passable and some are good. It really depends on what parts and for what car.

Good topic by the way. :cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60