Author Topic: Serpentine Kit Problem  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Dray

Serpentine Kit Problem
« on: April 29, 2007 - 08:40:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

I realize that there is another thread about this < http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=32197.0 >, but I think I have a different issue and I didn't want to hijack that thread.  Sooo, I went to put on my march serpentine brackets and pulleys and when I get them on I get the following misalignment < picture 1 >.  I believe the bottom pulley is out too far, so when I get looking at the mounting location for the bottom pulley, I start wondering what the red plate is for < picture 2 >? :clueless:  If I can take this off and the little bracket < picture 3 > I think the bottom serpentine pulley will fit.  But what am I going to be screwing up by doing this?  On a side note the engine is built with Fuel Injection.

Cheers,
dray

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Serpentine Kit Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007 - 09:55:15 PM »
the Red plate is the magnet crank trigger for the ign system , you cannot remove it
I hope you marked the plate so it goes on in exactly the same position other wise the timing could be out of phase
 the wire is the electronic pick up to send the signal to the ign when a magnet goes by it
 you may need to get a different crank pulley that is shorter by theexact  thickness of the red crank trigger
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007 - 09:59:16 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Dray

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007 - 12:56:37 PM »
Hey thanx Chryco,

As for the magnet crank trigger, of course I removed it without marking it, sigh  :swear: :stomp:  Guess what you will be doing when you come back up to finish working on the car.  :smilielol:

Cheers,
dray

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007 - 01:28:37 PM »
Hi Dray,
I started the other thread you mentioned. Have you put the crank pulley on without the trigger wheel installed? If not try that and see how it lines up. March only makes 2 depths (from talking with them) of crank pulleys, one for a stock damper and one for a fluidamper brand damper (which is thicker than stock) which would be a shallower depth crank pulley. Since you have an aftermarket damper already and the crank trigger adding to the thickness of the damper, I would think you would need the kit for an aftermarket damper to start. If you already have that kit, then you might need to have some special machining done to make things line up. Hey, at least your water pump pulley isn't an interference fit like mine is! If none of these things will work, then maybe March can make a pulley special to fit your engine. I think I might have to go down this road, or cut and weld the crank pulley on a lathe or something. I'm not real happy with March right now, can you tell?

Does your fuel injection system control the ignition or is the ignition stand alone. If it controls the ignition, which fuel injection system are you running? Maybe you could use another trigger wheel setup (if it comes down to that)
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Dray

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007 - 09:48:42 AM »
Hey ntstlgl1970,

I am feeling your pain.  I am sure that when you decided to go with the serpentine, you were excited as hell.  I hate it when plans fall apart.  I am encountering that in spades with this powertrain swap.

In any event, the crank pulley will fit without the trigger wheel installed.  I purchased the system from Tim @FHO and sent him an email with the problem.  He told me to send the crank pulley back and he will machine it to the right depth.

As for the fuel injection, I don't believe it controls the ignition, but given my knowledge of engines  :screwy: I am most likely out to lunch.  The fuel injection brain is the BigStuff Gen3 unit.  Tim also set this up.

I am pulling for yah on getting the serpentine system resolved.  I think I would just go to a local machine shop and get them to modify the pulley, sounds like March is useless. 

Good Luck!
dray

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007 - 10:22:01 AM »
the EFI computer does control the ign , the plug for the crank trigger is in the EFI harness so it has to control it

Offline Dray

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007 - 10:41:47 AM »
And that is why I have Chryco working on this beast, it couldn't be in better hands :ylsuper: :2thumbs:

Offline pandamarie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007 - 11:45:19 AM »
Have you thought about using Mollory's dual sync distributor?? It takes the place of the crank trigger and cam sensor and is good for your situation.
1938 packard 120
1948 lincoln convertible coupe(1 of 16)
69 charger
70 challenger R/T 440 6 pac
71 challenger 340 R/T 4 speed
2-1961 nash metropolitans
forgive wifes 75 vette
2002 dakota 4.7

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007 - 05:55:59 PM »
Dray and CP, any news on your engine? Did you guys get this pulley fiasco sorted out?
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 - 01:48:03 AM »
the pulley was cut & rewelded
 should have it fired up this upcoming weekend

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007 - 08:41:58 AM »
I think I have mine sorted out too, glad you got it figured out. The guys at March are pretty much useless..

Offline Dray

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007 - 05:24:09 PM »
Hey NT,

Yep, the problem is sorted out.  Originally I was a little bit stressed about the problem but after I took the pulley to a local machining shop they took the width of the magnetic trigger out and rewelded the pulley together.  It cost me 135 bones.

When I brought the pulley in the machinist asked what brand it was.  I responded March and he started cursing.  I asked what was up and he responded that they make the worst balanced pulleys on the planet.  Sure enough we put the pulley on a lathe and fired it up and there is was, a nice little wobble.  Just thought I would mention that for anyone who is looking at the March option.

Glad to hear your problem is also sorted out.  I hate dealing with aftermarket problems where you need a  team of engineers to solve the problem.  Cheers!

ciao,
dray