Author Topic: Replacement Leafsprings and all hardware?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline FTT843

Replacement Leafsprings and all hardware?
« on: May 01, 2007 - 04:25:01 PM »
Hello me and my dad just recently purchased a 70 cuda 383/4spd  They guy befroe us threw 9k in engine mods and other various go-fast parts. He did little follow up work to parts installed. We knew the car was missing a good 100hp from tuning. Not to mention he had no idea how to drive the damn thing. The car put down 360hp/390tq at the wheels and never bothered to replace the dead leafsprings in the rear........ Like I said he didnt follow up with his work.. Soo first day out we bent the pinion snubber right into the yoke. Luckly the yoke was and an aftermarket hardened one and actually ate a hole into the snubber, barely marking the yoke.       

Anyways im looking for a complete kit that contains all shakles, bolts, fasteners, bushings ect.. all in one kit. Or if someone could give me a review of a system they installed on there own car. Im really looking for someone to just point me in the right direction before we dump money on a set of joe shmoe's "mopar certified" leafs.

Thanks, Frank

Offline FTT843

Re: Replacement Leafsprings and all hardware?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007 - 04:26:46 PM »
oh yeah and its a standard rear not a dana

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007 - 04:39:40 PM »
Hey Frank, Gotta Lotta car there sounds like... Welcome to CC.C
Search on this site for ESPO or Springs n Things  & you will see many members here prefer their product. As for a "kit" I've never seen one but I'm sure if you tell them what your up to they will hook you up,  http://www.espo.com/Header.htm
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007 - 04:58:38 PM »
I agree Espo or Eaton are the best chioce

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007 - 11:51:29 AM »
...And I dont know of any kits either. I get the rear shackles and front spring hanger bushings in urethane too. Installed properly, they only enhance the ride and control. And dont forget the reear sway bar bushings if your car is a real Cuda and has one.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007 - 02:00:32 PM »
ESPO.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007 - 06:04:11 PM »
ESPO.
:iagree: Great product, great service.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007 - 11:54:12 PM »
I agree with the others, just remember to stay away from the Mopar leafs.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007 - 04:44:04 AM »
You should only need leaf springs, u-bolts, and shackle bushings to make a difference, unless you have some of those parts store lift shackles in whcih case you might want to replace those as well. Most springs will come with front bushings already installed.

Personally I don't care for Espo. While they can replicate any leaf spring combo, can add or subtract any height you want, and they use good steel in their product, they have no idea what rates their springs really are. For most of my appliations, I like to know that but your mileage may vary depending on your needs.

I also have never had any issues with Mopar Performance springs either, but there seems to be a lot of people who mis-understand what their supposed to do when installed and are subsequently unhappy with them.

TC

Offline ted

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007 - 12:40:55 PM »
you mean that they slag like 30 year old  springs in a few months?

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007 - 01:45:32 PM »
Meaning mopar's leaf springs were very good from the begining and hold rate very well, even after decades of use. However, many people mistakenly think that a properly installed mopar spring should have an arch to it and when looking at their flat old springs think that "Geez, these things must be really worn out" and they replace them with new mopar springs thinking they are going to provide them with a +1, +2 +whatever lift they want only to find that the replacements also sit flat and their car is not lifted at all. At that point begins the incessent verbage that the springs are junk and not any better than the originals.

It is also does not seem to not be widely know that mopars XHD springs were designed to control spring wrap up for drag applications while still providing excellent handling capabilities for a street vehicle. A combination of which is not supposed to lift yer rear into the air. The XHD springs duplicate the factory specs, plain and simple.

For my recollection and whatever proof I can find in vintage mags and photos from the time, in stock trim most mopars sat level and E bodies in particular seem to actually sit lower in the back, AAR and TA excepted. Add the passage of time and the changing of tires and many mistakenly believe that a stock, restored mopar should have a rake when in reaility, very few did and if they did odds are pretty good the owner changed tires very soon after receiving said vehicle. It seems a lot of current owners have forgotten that these car began recieving modifications as soon as they got home. Wheels and tires were usually one of the first thing to get changed. How many members here can remember the exact tire size on their first car? Very few I'm willing to bet and that fuzziness leads to the mistaken belief that their current restoration project with 235/60 BFGs all around should sit higher in the rear, therefore my springs are crap.

Offline ted

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007 - 02:10:00 PM »
no meaning they are crap.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007 - 02:22:12 PM »
I have the XHD springs and I'm very pleased with them. Just my  :2cents:
Dave

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007 - 06:51:31 PM »
Here are mine.(MP XHD)  Sits nice still.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007 - 07:47:10 PM »
FTT843, what are you going to do with it? Cruiser , Bracket Racer , Street Racer , or Shows. It all depends on what you really want to do with it. You have many options on rear suspensions. And yes stay away from that Mopar spring junk. New springs are made in Mexico and are not as good as the old ones...