Best Media Blasting Abrasive?

Author Topic: Best Media Blasting Abrasive?  (Read 8631 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: Best Media Blasting Abrasive?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007 - 08:34:42 PM »
I sand blast my cars myself to get it done right,every little nook and cranny.I have never warped a panel or even came close.The key is....dont be an idiot,lol,with the blaster.Keep it around 40 psi,dont get too close with the nozzle(no closer than 6 inches) and always blast at a 45 degree angle.Its not brain surgery.The problem is when you take it to a blaster and he has some kid running it full throttle.And besides the fact a shop will have a HUGE commercial compressor that is capable of blasting thru anything in front of it,in the wrong hands.Money is time,the quicker they blast your car the quicker they get to the next one.Do it yourself,take your time.WHen I ask my paint/body guy how he does such a nice job he says"How does an Ant eat an Elephant?A little at a time....Thats how he does his body and paint and that why it looks killer when he's done.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007 - 10:04:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

So heres my plan so far...

1. Remove all trim, windows, and everything else that shouldn't be blasted (interior is already removed)

2. Spray black magnum media (60/120?) approx 9" from panels at 45* angle and approx 35 PSI

3. take it slow and be careful not to warp metal

I'm going to continue to do my homework on media blasting and hopefully start within the next couple weeks. :clapping:

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007 - 10:45:44 PM »
Boy that'll cost you a bundle,I went thru over 50 90lb bags of 60 mesh sand
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007 - 11:11:59 PM »
Are there any better ways that I should consider?

Offline matt63

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007 - 09:05:33 AM »
Boy that'll cost you a bundle,I went thru over 50 90lb bags of 60 mesh sand
You don't want to do that in your driveway!
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007 - 09:51:40 AM »

:iagree:

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007 - 11:55:54 AM »
Good call. Does anyone know if the Black Magnum is reusable?

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007 - 01:59:47 PM »
Cudadude013,
have you seen Rev-It-Up's web site? Check it out! http://ridesthatrock.com/html/frame.html   :popcorn:
They used and inductor attached to a 3500 lb pressure washer to sandblast their Challenger. This method of sand blasting doesn’t use air to propel the sand; it uses high pressure water which helps to keep the surface cool. An inductor is attached to the tip of a pressure washer wand and uses a suction hose. One end of the hose is attached to the inductor while the other end is placed inside a bag of sand. When high pressure water passes through the inductor, it creates a low pressure area which intern sucks up the sand via the suction hose and then comes out with the high pressure water. The only drawback I can see using this process, other that being very messy, is the slight surface rust the water creates if not dried quickly. I’ve never tried this method of sandblasting before, but I have seen it used in the Navy when sandblasting the hulls of submarines. It’s very effective! :2thumbs:

Bill

Offline ChallengerDays

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007 - 02:01:35 PM »
 :ylsuper:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007 - 02:30:59 PM »
We have that setup here at home.  No warpage.  The whole deal cost about 220 bucks or so.  The nice thing is that there is no dust, and the sand doesnt go too far.  If you do it on a sunny or warm day, the metal dries fast enough, so that there is no flash rust.  Works pretty good.

HOWEVER:  You need a good pressure washer.  Ours doesnt have quite the PSI to really peel paint off.  It does an ok job, but it takes some patience/time. 

:2cents:

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007 - 04:41:29 PM »
Right on, does the pressure washer system remove rust pretty well?

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007 - 05:12:30 PM »
Good call. Does anyone know if the Black Magnum is reusable?

Yes it is, in my booth I have about 4 bags worth, I blast all of that then I sweep it up into 5 gallon pails. After that I sift it though a box I made that has a screen and a vacuum cleaner attached to it. The vacuum helps to clean some of the dust (broke down black magnum) out. After a few rounds of blasting the dust gets to be to much and you end up shooting half dust and half media. Which isn't that big of a deal but some pulsing happens and the room gets dustier that much faster. Thats about the time I toss that stuff and start new stuff.

The water blaster system worries me do to the fact that you are spraying water into cracks that may rarley or never see that much water introduced into it. You may not think that there isn't much places that this can happen but look at the front frame rails alone, it is just sheet bent then welded together in a pinch weld. That is one area that is a nice little gap to be shooting water in.  :2cents:

Lunch

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007 - 05:21:50 PM »
Here are some shots of my booth. I use a cheap Clarke brand blaster. Also you can see where I removed the inner fender and how much rust is located between the two panels. It seems that every panel on this car with a overlap like that has that sort of rust on it.  :sly:

The cowl is a pain to remove but the below pics show why it is worth it.

Lunch

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007 - 09:36:17 AM »
I didnt have to worry about that since the sand just mixed in the ground on my property
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007 - 10:43:14 AM »
Speaking of pressure washers,I'll one up ya,lol.I use a pressure washer connected to a Rinnai tankless water heater i have on a wagon made out of their recess box.I use with or without a pressure washer to suit meeds.Its the commercial model that i can turn up to 185 degrees and hooked to a 5 gal propane bottle.It make's  endless hot water and a heck of a steam cleaner and compact.I steam clean everything from concrete to engines/cars ect.I have the residential model on my house and it cut my propane bill in half when i installed it 5 years ago.
www.Rinnai.us
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3