Author Topic: Problems with fuel system?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline MyMopar

Problems with fuel system?
« on: May 03, 2007 - 08:08:34 AM »
So last year going to and coming back from Carlisle my car ran out of gas when the tank read 1/4 full.  Well I never really ran out of gas where the engine stopped, except for the 1 time when it quit as a rolled up to a gas pump  :faint:
So I learned that when I was close to 1/4 to stop for gas, it would take 9 gallons of gas everytime I stopped, and it was always 9 gallons.
Now after Carlisle I would take the car out but as the season went on I would have to fiddle and diddle and tune and do various thigns to have the car running right.  Toward the end of the season it wouldn't run hard and nothing I did fixed the problem.

Now fast forward to this past month (April) I dropped the gas tank and found that the outlet tube was siliconed in placed  :22yikes: not only that but the p/u was turned sideways which explained running out of gas.  Now if that wasn't bad enough there was a bunch of junk in the tank itself.  So after a good hour of cleaning it was all cleared out.  Then today after I finished bending some 3/8" line I took a look at the fuel filter.  I decided to open it up and see what's inside, this is what I found   :scared:

Do you think that this could have caused all my tuning problems and the engine falling flat on its face?  I can't wait to get this all back together now and take it for another drive (after tuning)  :burnout:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Problems with fuel system?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007 - 08:48:21 AM »
Hey I was wondering were I left that!  :roflsmiley:

Seriously tho... glad you got that crap outa' there!  :villagers:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 - 02:50:15 PM by BIGSHCLUNK »
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007 - 12:09:15 PM »
what is that stuff?
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 - 12:19:01 PM »
So last year going to and coming back from Carlisle my car ran out of gas when the tank read 1/4 full.  Well I never really ran out of gas where the engine stopped, except for the 1 time when it quit as a rolled up to a gas pump  :faint:
So I learned that when I was close to 1/4 to stop for gas, it would take 9 gallons of gas everytime I stopped, and it was always 9 gallons.
Now after Carlisle I would take the car out but as the season went on I would have to fiddle and diddle and tune and do various thigns to have the car running right.  Toward the end of the season it wouldn't run hard and nothing I did fixed the problem.

Now fast forward to this past month (April) I dropped the gas tank and found that the outlet tube was siliconed in placed  :22yikes: not only that but the p/u was turned sideways which explained running out of gas.  Now if that wasn't bad enough there was a bunch of junk in the tank itself.  So after a good hour of cleaning it was all cleared out.  Then today after I finished bending some 3/8" line I took a look at the fuel filter.  I decided to open it up and see what's inside, this is what I found   :scared:

Do you think that this could have caused all my tuning problems and the engine falling flat on its face?  I can't wait to get this all back together now and take it for another drive (after tuning)  :burnout:

My 74 challenger has been acting the same way...Just recieved the new tank, fuel line and sending unit. Plan to change it the next few days.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007 - 12:20:13 PM »
is it twigs and grass?
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007 - 12:25:01 PM »
is it twigs and grass?
Bingo, it is some type of grass and the orange silicon used to secure the outlet tube on the sending unit.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007 - 03:45:17 PM »
Glad you solved the problem, but...  :faint:  :faint:  :faint:  :scared:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.