Author Topic: Motorcycle guys i need some advise  (Read 6595 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: Motorcycle guys i need some advise
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007 - 09:34:03 AM »
 :eek2:

Nice.   :2thumbs:

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007 - 03:40:12 PM »
Thanks I'm real happy with it.The pics dont do it justice,Honda really went all out when they made this bike.The technology has changed so much since my last bike,fuel injection,brakes,electronics ect
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007 - 08:13:12 AM »
I finally got a chance to ride my new Honda VTX1800S Retro.I was surprised how easy a BIG bike like this is to handle.I havent been on a street bike in 10 years.After 30 minutes in a parking lot with a buddy getting use to it i was out cruising the windey roads in the foothills where i live.It was easier to ride than most smaller bikes i have ridden.It was a breeze even riding it down the 1.5 miles or gravel road to my house.The 1800cc engine is like a 440 mopar,tons of torque and not very high reving,which is why i bought it.Now i got yet another sickness,lol.Time to look at some mods for my bike.First will be a winshield,saddle bags and who knows what else.My buddy trailered over his Harley dyna wide glide and never took it off the trailer!!!He kept asking to ride mine,lol.He said it handled and rode MUCH smoother and easier than his Harley.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007 - 06:20:31 PM »
My buddy trailered over his Harley dyna wide glide and never took it off the trailer!!!He kept asking to ride mine,lol.He said it handled and rode MUCH smoother and easier than his Harley.

trailered? figures. He should buy a Honda right away.
Don't want a discussion about this 'cuz ....if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand :walkaway:

Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007 - 10:26:56 AM »
trailered? figures. He should buy a Honda right away.

A Honda? I've got a 77 Harley Electra-Glide that I've rode for the last 20 years. The only time I've ever trailered that bike was on vacations when the whole family went. I haven't even owned a trailer for over 12 years, got rid of mine because I wasn't using it! The only time it has ever left me sitting at the side of the road was because of a flat tire! I bought a new 07 Harley Ultra Classic last fall and have put 5,000 miles on it in the last 3 months without so much as a hiccup! I'll take my Harleys over a Honda any day! BTW, my son has a Honda VTX1300R and on a recent 150 mile ride in the mountains I had to jumpstart him 3 times off my HARLEY to get him back to town and to the Honda shop! :smilielol:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007 - 12:13:39 PM »
 :iagree:

Now that's what I'm talkin' about  :2thumbs:

live to ride Bro !
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007 - 08:01:25 AM »
We could go on and on swaping stories about Honda's and Harley's having problems.A buddies new street glide cracked his case and he said he has to check a tentioner every 5 k miles.He sold his harley and bought a Yami road star and said it was a much easier and more reliable bike than his harley.I could tell you a bunch more stories about Harley,doesnt mean anything,Chit happens.Everyone is built different,you dont trailer yours and some people do,myself included.I am succeptible to ear infections which i can get a bad case of vertigo,so i trailer in case i cant ride the bike,again my choice to be safe.There are also some riding conditions i dont like to be in,like LA traffic,which i would trailer if i was going down that way.You cant tell me Harley's technology is better than Hondas or visa-versa,it is what it is.Honda reliability cant be questioned for the most part.I have had many hondas-jap bikes over the years and is my choice.Harley is your choice.Honda makes an excellent bike and so does harley,i like harley's just wouldn't pay 10k just for a name and so i can tell everyone i have a harley.My buddy did say my Honda was easier to ride than his harley,especially down my gravel road.He was impressed with the way it road and the quality of the ride. I cant tell you how His Harley rode,i have never ridden it but they aren't the same animal.He has a Dyna and i have a (Honda)Fatboy.The point is just to be comfortable with what you ride and be safe out there.I dont have anything against harley's and could buy 2 of my bikes for a harley equivelent.
Live long and Prosper
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007 - 10:58:55 AM »
Hey Moparnut, I was just funnin with ya!  :2thumbs: Hondas are good bikes, my son's problem was due more to his NOT riding it than anything else (battery was shot). Those VTX's  are great bikes, and I love the Star motorcycles. The point is (like you said) to get out there and ride! I probably ride with more metric bike riders than I do Harley riders, I get tired real quick of the whole badass black leather and tattooed biker thing. To me it's not about how you look and what you ride as it is about the ride itself. As for your trailering your bike, you have an excellent reason for doing so. It's the ones who trailer to a rally, ride the bike up and down the main drag during the rally and then load it back up and go home that get me. What's the point? I just got back from the Red River Rally here in N.M., and a guy I used to work with was there and trailered his bike up there. I don't think he ever took it off the trailer! The only thing I saw him in was his truck the whole weekend!  :screwy:  I dunno, I just can't get into the whole profiling thing, riding down a winding mountain road just seems like so much more fun!

Ride safe my friend! :wave:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007 - 07:58:28 AM »
No biggie,i didnt take offense,everyone has their own opinon of what they like.For instance mopars,i wish more poeple hated them,then there would be more out there for me to afford, :bigsmile:.To be honest,even though i love my honda,if they were the same price and not twice as much,i would have bought a harley,not that i think its a better bike,its a more recongnized name and has a higher resale value.
WHat cracks me up is when i see guys(anyone on a bike)that always rev's the engine at a stop light.Its stupid and lame like they think someone is saying"wow can you hear that bike"?,lol.In my mind i think "maybe the piece of krap doesn't idle so he has to rev the engine to keep it running".I never understood the logic in reving the engine at a stop light-very lame.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007 - 08:31:44 AM »
WHat cracks me up is when i see guys(anyone on a bike)that always rev's the engine at a stop light.Its stupid and lame like they think someone is saying"wow can you hear that bike"?,lol.In my mind i think "maybe the piece of krap doesn't idle so he has to rev the engine to keep it running".I never understood the logic in reving the engine at a stop light-very lame.

Yep, got a guy here in town that does that with his Harley. I keep sayin I'm goin to tell him I know of a good mechanic that can fix that problem so it will idle right! :roflsmiley: He's a typical profiler, got a huge Harley bar & shield logo painted on his garage door! :screwy:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007 - 10:15:02 PM »
Whatever you ride...ride safe, keep the shiney side up, and give your fellow riders a wave :2thumbs:

I sometimes (often) get carried away with the whole  :wavingflag: thing. It's just me.

I see our American way of life that I love fading away :walkaway: with the ever increasing trade deficit.
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007 - 08:05:22 AM »

I see our American way of life that I love fading away :walkaway: with the ever increasing trade deficit.
I agree,you can blame that on all the Liberal democrats out there trying to take away our guns,muscle cars,freedom of religion and want to turn us all a bunch of tree huggers.Sorry,not trying to offend anyone,I am entitiled to my point of view and freedom of speech,atleast today........ :bigsmile:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 72kooda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007 - 09:28:47 PM »
Yep, got a guy here in town that does that with his Harley. I keep sayin I'm goin to tell him I know of a good mechanic that can fix that problem so it will idle right! :roflsmiley: He's a typical profiler, got a huge Harley bar & shield logo painted on his garage door! :screwy:

ever been on a bike sitting behind someone at a stoplight that is to lazy to look in all his mirrors before backing up to the stopline? i learned fast that its a good idea to be heard instead of assuming that people have seen you.

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007 - 10:33:05 AM »
ever been on a bike sitting behind someone at a stoplight that is to lazy to look in all his mirrors before backing up to the stopline? i learned fast that its a good idea to be heard instead of assuming that people have seen you.

I tend to stay back far enough that I don't have that problem. I like to have enough room to get out of the way if someone behind me has their head up their behind and doesn't look like they will stop in time. I always keep an eye on the rearview mirror for that at stoplights! I've also found that the horn is more effective at getting peoples' attention than reving the engine!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007 - 10:34:48 AM by 392heminut »
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Triple Black hemi

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007 - 04:35:34 PM »
Like them all and buy what you like.  I've had Harley's, street bikes and road race bikes....they all serve a different purpose and function in there own way.   :thumbsup: