Author Topic: Adding aftermarket A/C question  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Adding aftermarket A/C question
« on: May 07, 2007 - 05:26:33 PM »
I just purchased an A/C kit from HotRodAir for my 73 Challenger.  I have a 22 inch radiator.  Would I run into any problems with cooling if I kept the 22 inch radiator or should I upgrade to a 26 inch?  So far the car stays pretty cool, but we haven't hit the heat wave here in Texas yet.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Adding aftermarket A/C question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 - 08:49:32 PM »
If its a small block I would think you might get away with it ok. I dont know about a big block though  :clueless:
Good luck on it, I could not live without air conditioning, I live in hot southeast NM so I know what 118 feels like  :puke:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007 - 06:14:00 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, how much did th esystme cost?  I am thinking about adding a/c to on eof my projects but the Classic Auto Air kit seems a little pricey to me.  Have you installed it yet?  If so, how was it to install? 
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007 - 07:36:01 AM »
It is a small block. 

I got the deluxe kit with 4 under dash vents and 455 cfm unit.  The kit itself was 875 but being that I'm in Texas where the company is located I had to pay taxes and with shipping the grand total was 1005 dollars.  I have not installed it yet, that is a project for this weekend.  After reading the manual it doesn't seem to be that difficult to install.  It is their universal fit system so it will not look stock, but I'm ok with that.  The guy I was dealing with over the phone was Wayne Potter, 888-357-0040, give him a call see if he can hook you up.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007 - 11:41:38 AM »
If you've never had any issues before and aren't running too radical in the compression and cam timing, it may not be a problem. If you were at all marginal before, you'll have bigger problems now.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007 - 06:57:23 AM »
I would go with a 26" if possible. Didn't all the AC cars ship with 26" rads?

My story? I have a factory air 72 cuda and went with all new current technology components from the firewall forward. I didnt like any of the Sanden add on kits with their idler pulley and long belt runs. They just looked, well.....added on.  I wanted to retain the dual belt drive sytem like the original RV4. It was quite a task getting the belt circuits lined up. Adding to the problem were March billet pulleys, a 120a alternator, and my Mopar Performance intake.     
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger